We visited the W Retreat again last week, almost a full year after we went in 2012. We found many improvements to the hotel in the past year and were excited to be back! We arrived to the W where the occupancy was about 50%, only half full. I cannot tell you what a difference this made. No searching for pool chairs, no loud music, just pure relaxation! We were upgraded to an ocean front room in front of the Wet area, which was a nice change from our garden room we had last time. In contrast, the ocean front rooms are larger and much cooler than the garden rooms. A lot of the staff at the hotel was the same in the past year, and gone were the issues people have complained about with the staff- everyone seemed top notch. There are so many great things about this resort, and there were very little cons. I will list them out as pro/con just to make it easier:
PRO- cool vibe, amazing island, awesome hotel unlike anything you usually see, nice staff, great pools, nice having the car rental place onsite (rent the jeep and go to blue beach- it's amazing). Love the living room and the outside couches and chairs to watch the sunset. Best views of the ocean on the island. Great firepit.
CON- the shower curtain in our room smelled terrible- minor complaint- but it did stink up the room. The food here is so expensive. I remember it being the same last year, but somehow the quality was better. This year each thing I ordered at either the pool or W Cafe (we did not eat at the restaurant this year) just didn't seem as tasty or the portions as large as last year. Yes, I know it's a resort and it's supposed to be expensive, I get that, but it just seemed much more than usual, probably because the quality was not there. Also, they changed their mixed/frozen drinks to a mix from hand making them last year- again, not huge- but they weren't as tasty and it kept me from ordering from the bar. The W Cafe which we used so much last year, we didn't really use much, we felt the food selection wasn't as good and the coffee wasn't as tasty- go figure.
One thing to note about the restaurants in Vieques during this late April/early May timeframe (slow season) is that they take off certain days and some are closed for weeks at a time. We ended up eating some good meals but we had to plan them in advance based around their schedule. We were disappointed that our favorite El Quenepo was closed the entire time we were there- but we found some other new favorites. Call Miguel to get you to and from.
All in all, it was a great trip! We loved being at the W and would love to come back to Vieques. It's such a unique and amazing island- if you like being remote and just relaxing- it's really the place to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on two private, secluded beaches, the W Retreat & Spa Ã Vieques Island in Puerto Rico provides the perfect getaway for a relaxing and luxurious villa-style vacation with infinite indulgences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Starwood, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your W Retreat & Spa Vieques reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat And Spa Vieques
- w Retreat & Spa Vieques Hotel Isla De Vieques