“Go else where” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Vieques

Save Saved
You added W Retreat & Spa Vieques to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Vieques
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 200 Km 3.2 - HC1 | Box 9368, 0000765, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
New York City, New York
“Go else where”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The two beaches aren't that good! The pool is quite small for the hotel, lots of mosqitos. The hotel exterior needs more lighting and more walkable friendly paths and the restaurants are ridiculously expensive and are the drinks

• Stayed November 2012
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing you thought here on TripAdvisor. We're sorry the Retreat did not live up to your expectations, but we thank you nonetheless for sharing.

901 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Saint Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Detriot_gal, ditto and more. I am kicking myself for not staying in Old San Juan, my husband and I were having such a great time there, then noooo, I had to drag him to Vieques for one night.

Starwood, you have let me down. I get it, it is remote and it is a hassle to get items from the mainland on a regular basis but- PLAN AHEAD! Where do I start?

Property - not well maintained, hallways and handrails, chipped paint. Why is this property not green? Not one stitch of recycling! Dirty dishes and glasses where ever I looked.

Rooms - Paper thin, had to call security to get some peace and quiet.

Pools - TOO MANY KIDS! Witnessed a near drowning, parents were in opposite directions and a stranger had to pull a child up from the bottom, saving her life.

Beaches - Dirty, no raking, broken lounge chairs, I wound up picking up trash, 1/2 filled a garbage bag. Seriously, you want to charge me room service charge to bring me drinks to the beach?

Staff - lifeless, no smiles, no passion, no uniforms, and no name tags - wonder why...

Food... oh gosh, I'm gonna stop, I'm just depressing myself.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear the resort did not meet your expectations and you felt the service and amenities were not up to SPG standards. We appreciate the feedback and will take this into consideration with our teams.

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

First impressions - beautiful! Absolutely breathtaking. You can tell Starwood takes a lot of pride is keeping up the grounds and making sure it fits the W vibe. The room was beautiful upon first glance - very exotic and lush.

But, overall, I could not be more disappointed in Starwood and specifically W hotels.

First of all, I read every single review on every single site before booking. Most of the reviews said there were very little to no children at all. Great! I have a child, but this vacation was child-less and I needed to relax. According to the staff, the week of the visit was the most children they've ever seen there!! I could not even stay by the pool because of the children yelling, screaming, running around, their rafts in the pool. Not relaxing. At All. For the cost per night, they should consider making this an adults only resort. And what is there for children to do on this island??

Second, why not coffee pot in the room?? Every single W/Starwood property I visit has a Keurig. What is the problem here? You want me to visit your crappy W cafe? No thanks.

Food - terrible and overpriced food at both the cafe and Sorce.

Drinks - good, bartenders are extremely friendly and give good recommendations.

Service - everyone on property was extremely friendly and accommodating.

Beach - never visited because of the kid issue, however there is an adult only beach on the property, which I heard was beautiful.

Noise - walls are like paper. I listened to a child cry for 2 HOURS. You can hear people walking around above you and conversations/coughing/noises of the rooms next door. The front desk does have ear plugs though, which did help somewhat.

Spa - had a massage. Perfect pressure - very relaxing and the outdoor shower is a nice touch (although its next to a road?).

Lounge at the airport is a nice touch - and also the transportation to the hotel....but i guess you should expect for the $65/day resort fee (which does not cover beach chairs or umbrella rental!)

I will never stay here again - if i ever go back, it will be at a B&B or small, family owned place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all of the feedback, both positive and negative. I'm very sorry to hear the Retreat did not meet your expectations. As our talent mentioned to you, the big holiday weeks like Thanksgiving and Christmas do see a greater number of children, but we do make an effort to provide areas of the retreat that remain child-free, like our adults-only beach... I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to experience it. I'm happy to hear our talent impressed you, as well as our bartenders and spa therapists. While we may not be the desired resort experience you are looking for, we're happy to hear you enjoyed Vieques, and we hope you'll come back to the island again in the future.

Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been a big fan off W properties and booked 5 days looking forward to the chain's usual combination of a modern aesthetic, a cool vibe and good service. My wife and I brought our well-traveled 9 and 12 year old children, thinking they would be among the only kids (I never thought of W as a family chain). Turned out the property was an odd mix of honeymooning couples and families, so much so that I think the property was stuck between its traditional target (upscale adults looking to be at a "cool" property) and the revenue generating family/tourist market. As such, we felt it didn't quite hit either target.

Other areas of disappointment included the food and beverage and the service. On the F&B side, the food was just average, probably reflecting the tastes of the family-oriented clientele. When we travel, food is an important part of the experience so we were disappointed compared to other high-end resorts we've stayed at in San Juan, Hawaii and Mexico. The most disappointing area was the inconsistent level of service. The restaurant needs someone to pay attention to the details, and clearly the staff hasn't received enough training, with golf carts forcing us to walk off the walking path and a maid staff was lurking outside rooms and never uttering a greeting of any kind.

Finally, just hope you don't need a beach towel, because they are scarce and you have to sign you life away to receive one (this is a beach resort, isn't it?)

I really hope the hotel takes this feedback to heart and takes steps to "upscale" the property, for the island itself is lovely, with highlights including the bio bay, snorkeling and horseback riding. The kids had a blast, but when we got to our hotel in San Juan they said, "this is a lot better than the hotel in Vieques."

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the adult beach are quieter and only 50 yards from the lobby/restaurant/pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We do take all of the comments to heart, whether positive or negative, so we do appreciate you sharing here on TripAdvisor. We are sorry tthat the resort didn't live up to your expectations. We generally have a nice mix of adult couples, groups of friends, and families with well-traveled children staying at the Retreat, although during peak times like Thanksgiving we do see a higher percentage of families with children. We strive to offer alternatives at the hotel for those looking for peace & quiet, like our adults-only beach or our plunge pool, which is usually very quiet. Like I mentioned, we really do appreciate the feedback and take it to heart.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This resort is fantastic! My wife and I stayed here two nights recently and would highly recommend this place. It is not far from Isabelle which is a great little town to pick up supplies. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed and the service is excellent. The restaurant on site is great for breakfast but we had dinner in Esparanza at Bili one night and Duffy's the next so we didn't try dinner here. The pools and beaches are beautiful and a great place to unwind. I would highly recommend this place for a nice vacation away from everything. Our room was by the pool and there was a wedding that weekend so the music was a bit loud but they did knock off at midnight so it was okay. Oh, and the beds were a little on the soft side.

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the relaxing vibe of the Retreat. We look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The W resort is located on Vieques Island, about a 5 minute ride from the airport. The arrival lounge at the airport is nice although completely unnecessary. We were picked up in a Jeep and driven to the resort.

Check in was smooth. I was recognized for being a Platinum member. I had made a reservation for a Pool Oasis room but was upgraded to a Fabulous Ocean Front Escape. I requested complimentary breakfast as my platinum amenity for my one night stay and then off we headed to the room. We were driven in a golf cart to building 3 and shown to the room.

The room needless to say was very nice. Big windows with a small semi private patio open out to the ocean. The room is tastefully designed with an open bathroom layout. There is a tub in the bathroom space but there are no doors between the bedroom and bathroom. The decor is contemporary and quite nice. The beds are typical W beds and seriously amazing. Slept like a baby. You can literally walk out the door and down onto the beach which is very clean and beautiful.

The pool area is gorgeous and the day that we were there, quite full. The food and drink by the pool is really good as well. Try the Vieques burger. Food and drink isnt cheap but not as atrociously priced either.

There is a private plunge pool near villa 17 that is usually empty. It looks like a massive jacuzzi but there was no one there when I visited. There is a pretty nice gym on site, as well a market of sorts where you can get breakfast, and also where the complimentary breakfast was. However, we were only told that it was open from 7 to 3, and not that it had specific breakfast times, so when we went in at 11 to get breakfast, they weren't serving any. Wish we had know that earlier.

Had dinner at the restaurant inside, Sorce. It was a Saturday and they have a prime rib dinner special going on every Saturday. The food was pretty darn good and at $28 for the special which included a salad, baked potato and a large slab of prime rib, pretty reasonable price wise. At first when I was served, the prime rib was stone cold. Sent it back, and the second time around it was much much better.

There is also a complimentary drink handed out from 6 to 6.30 at the bar in the lobby. Whatever the bar tender chooses to make. We had a very fruity islandy drink that tasted great and had a decent amount of alcohol in it. The ground of the hotel are gorgeous. When I woke up early morning at around 5.45 am to catch the sunrise by the beach, there were horses wandering all over the property which was pretty cool. I was given a welcome amenity of a platter of different kind of chocolates in the evening as well. Note that there is a grocery store about a mile away that you can walk to if you want supplies. Its about a 20 minute walk further down the island.

Here is the bad. There is an atrocious $60 per day resort fee. $60 per day over the course of a few days stay really adds up! And you really are not getting much for it in return. Wifi for me was complimentary as a Platinum guest anyways. Round trip transfers if you had to use a cab would not cost more than $7 each way. And you only get transfers once anyways, not per day! There is no club lounge and hence no lounge access. Cabanas are not included as far as I could tell. Neither is breakfast. And neither is water! I was mistakenly billed to my room for drinking water. $15 for water! That was only taken off once they realized I was a platinum guest. The most the resort fee here should be is $20-$25. $60 is simply absurd and is something that would actually deter me from going back here. Reduce it, or get rid of it and unbundle it and let customers pay for what they want. Until then, as great as this property is, it simply does not make it worthwhile. A week long stay here and all of a sudden you are out an additional $500. And yeah, there are taxes on the resort fee. There are also some water sport equipment included like snorkeling gear etc but in my time there nobody was using it. Why pay for something you wont be using.

I did enjoy my stay here but the sting of the additional $66 at check out really leaves a bad taste. And its not like the rooms are cheap to begin with.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the beauty of Vieques. I also thank you for the feedback regarding the daily resort charge. We appreciate both positive and negative comments, and take all of them to heart. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

WOW!... Really loved this hotel! It's beautiful and relaxing. It is perfect for couples. Room was super spacious and awesome. Special Thanks to Arelis (Living Room Bartender), she was great!. Also the girls at the Spa treated us like. I would definitely come back to this hotel and will talk about it to our friends. Thank you staff for making our anniversary trip so special.

Hello,

Thanks for the lovely review... we're so happy to hear you had a great stay. I'll be sure to share this with Arelis in the Living Room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the island.

GM - W Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!