I am a bit puzzled about writing this review.
First of all, let me tell you that I travel a lot (and like high end places) and I am a huge fan of the W brand.
I had looked forward to my stay in the W Vieques, and I did have a very nice holiday. However, would I go again after having visited the resort ? Probably not, because I was not WOW-ed at all.
First, the pros :
- very clean resort grounds with a very nice pool area
- nice, spacious and trendy rooms (as one would expect from a W hotel)
- excellent and friendly staff
- the outdoor campfire in front of the lobby is a nice touch
All in all a very nice 4+ star hotel in my opinion.
But, there were some contras :
- no matter how nice the resort was, I did not have the feeling at all of being in the Caribbean. The vegetation on the resort is not lush at all (maybe it is still immature) and the 2 beaches - although taken well care of - are not your typical exotic dream beaches. In fact, you have to go to other side of the island to convince yourself that your are in a tropical hideaway.
- the restaurant does encounter too many problems (we were there in November ; maybe things worked out since then). Service was too slow (and we are Europeans, so used to slow service), one evening they forgot the meal of my partner, the menu is too limited, and portions rather small. Food is very good (but not memorable). Of course, nothing stops you from eating in a restaurant outside the resort, but still, a hotel that claims to be 5 stars should have an excellent trouble-free restaurant. However, I am confident that the restaurant will be solved in the future.
- what would really have added some extra value for me, would be the presence of some outdoor hottubes, so that one could take a dip after sunset (like most high end beach resorts have these days).
Don't take me wrong. I loved my holiday. And I liked the resort. But I was simply not wow-ed as the W brand claims to do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on two private, secluded beaches, the W Retreat & Spa Ã Vieques Island in Puerto Rico provides the perfect getaway for a relaxing and luxurious villa-style vacation with infinite indulgences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your W Retreat & Spa Vieques reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat & Spa Vieques Hotel Isla De Vieques
- w Retreat And Spa Vieques