“A visit with a Tiano Shaman Mother Earth Grandmother.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Paloma Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
La Paloma Guest House
You added La Paloma Guest House to your Saves list
(787) 435_1154 | Barrio Rio Abajo, Seccion La Paloma, Ceiba, El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico   |
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
“A visit with a Tiano Shaman Mother Earth Grandmother.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We also came from Culebra, also a penta of 5. Two teens, and the experience we had with Nilda was beyond words. She took us in as one of her family and we all preformed a Moon Ritual with her and her family in her circle of stones one clear evening. Drumming, making wishes around a fire her Grandson Danny built. Tiana her daughter on a drum, with her daughter Tiffany and Son Joey. She showed us her Tiano artifacts and petricliffs and where to walk a more remote trail with the Guide Robin Phillips. We all had an amazing spiritual time we will never forget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We only had one night to stay here. we came over from Culebra on the Ferry after 8 nights and wanted to visit the rain Forrest the next day. there were 5 of us including 3 adult girls ages 21,19, and 18. Nilda was awesome. we all regretted having to leave the next morning. Had we known what a wonderful hostess Nilda and her family were and the things they could have shown us, we would have planned differently. Oh well.. next year well get them to take us to see the Monkeys! :)

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nilda is great, and the guest house truly is in a stunning location, although rather remote. It’s on the edge of the rainforest, but don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a convenient location for a visit to El Yunque – it takes almost an hour to drive back around to the park entrance; you’d be just as close staying in San Juan! Nilda will rent out her extended family members to drive you around if you don’t have a car, though they’ll charge quite a bit for this “service” (it’s still cheaper than a taxi though). I didn’t go in the swimming pool but it looked nice enough. Beware the mosquitos at night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
River Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I felt privileged to spend a few days at La Paloma Guest House near Ceiba, Puerto Rico this week. Nilda, the owner, was a welcoming and attentive hostess. I was traveling alone, and I felt like she adopted me for the week. On the first night, she took me to a stone ritual circle on the hill behind the house, where we watched the rising moon and took in the incredible view of the rain forest. I learned about the Taino culture, Puerto Rico in general and the rain forest just to name a few of the many topics Nilda was willing to share about. The coquis sang me to sleep every night and it could not have been more relaxing. The family was terrific, respectful of space, yet always seemed to be right there when you needed them - sometimes a difficult balance for some B&B owners find.

This place is rustic, just want I wanted, but be aware of that if it's not for you. For $65 a night I got breakfast, a couple of dinners even, the view and a some new friends. I strongly encourage you to get yourself to La Paloma is you are visiting Puerto Rico and want to get away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan.

Room Tip: I had the room next to the pool and loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

everything was wonderful!!! very down to earth friendly helpful family !!!they will inform you on many awesome places to see in p.r place was fine with great views of the sea and country !!
highly recommended

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
phelan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I will always cherish my time at the guest house, by far the highlight of my trip to Puerto Rico--and I love Puerto Rico. The family atrmosphere, breathtaking views, spacious welcoming accomadations...and the most generous hosts family with their smiles, and genuine love of people were heartfelt. Michael, Nilda, Laura, Tiffany, Joey--all were wonderful I feel they are family. I will return to Puerto Rico and I will stay at the guest house again.....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My friend and I wanted to stay a few days on the east coast of Puerto to visit the beaches and rainforest, so we stayed at La Paloma. Nilda's grandson or daughter, Laura, drove us wherever we needed to go, and all we had to do was pay for the gas. Laura also made us breakfast every morning and a few other meals also, some authentic Puerto Rican food and some other more standard things, like breakfast sandwiches. The food was delicious! She's a fantastic cook.

Nilda is also the sweetest, most spiritual woman I've probably ever met. Even though my friend and I aren't the "hippie" types, we had an amazing time with her, just talking about her Taino culture, stargazing, and learning about nature. She caught a coqui frog for us to look at, and she drummed for us. She also helped us book plane tickets to Culebra when our ferry tickets didn't come through, and gave us recommendations for places and things to eat. She really went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and having a good time. She also took us to La Conquistador to play the slots and visit the pools.

On the actual property itself, the view is INSANE. The place is literally in the rainforest, and the view is gorgeous. We woke up every morning and gawked at it for 10 minutes. The pool is also really nice and clean. The place is not fancy by any means, but it is extremely comfortable and cozy. If you're looking for a place that spotless and resort-y, this isn't it. Come here for an authentic experience with genuinely kind and generous people who are willing to show you around.

I would not hesitate to go back and stay with them again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Paloma Guest House? Share your experiences!