“Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Paloma Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
La Paloma Guest House
Save Saved
You added La Paloma Guest House to your Saves list
(787) 435_1154 | Barrio Rio Abajo, Seccion La Paloma, Ceiba, El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico   |
River Falls, Wisconsin
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I felt privileged to spend a few days at La Paloma Guest House near Ceiba, Puerto Rico this week. Nilda, the owner, was a welcoming and attentive hostess. I was traveling alone, and I felt like she adopted me for the week. On the first night, she took me to a stone ritual circle on the hill behind the house, where we watched the rising moon and took in the incredible view of the rain forest. I learned about the Taino culture, Puerto Rico in general and the rain forest just to name a few of the many topics Nilda was willing to share about. The coquis sang me to sleep every night and it could not have been more relaxing. The family was terrific, respectful of space, yet always seemed to be right there when you needed them - sometimes a difficult balance for some B&B owners find.

This place is rustic, just want I wanted, but be aware of that if it's not for you. For $65 a night I got breakfast, a couple of dinners even, the view and a some new friends. I strongly encourage you to get yourself to La Paloma is you are visiting Puerto Rico and want to get away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan.

Room Tip: I had the room next to the pool and loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

everything was wonderful!!! very down to earth friendly helpful family !!!they will inform you on many awesome places to see in p.r place was fine with great views of the sea and country !!
highly recommended

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
phelan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I will always cherish my time at the guest house, by far the highlight of my trip to Puerto Rico--and I love Puerto Rico. The family atrmosphere, breathtaking views, spacious welcoming accomadations...and the most generous hosts family with their smiles, and genuine love of people were heartfelt. Michael, Nilda, Laura, Tiffany, Joey--all were wonderful I feel they are family. I will return to Puerto Rico and I will stay at the guest house again.....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My friend and I wanted to stay a few days on the east coast of Puerto to visit the beaches and rainforest, so we stayed at La Paloma. Nilda's grandson or daughter, Laura, drove us wherever we needed to go, and all we had to do was pay for the gas. Laura also made us breakfast every morning and a few other meals also, some authentic Puerto Rican food and some other more standard things, like breakfast sandwiches. The food was delicious! She's a fantastic cook.

Nilda is also the sweetest, most spiritual woman I've probably ever met. Even though my friend and I aren't the "hippie" types, we had an amazing time with her, just talking about her Taino culture, stargazing, and learning about nature. She caught a coqui frog for us to look at, and she drummed for us. She also helped us book plane tickets to Culebra when our ferry tickets didn't come through, and gave us recommendations for places and things to eat. She really went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and having a good time. She also took us to La Conquistador to play the slots and visit the pools.

On the actual property itself, the view is INSANE. The place is literally in the rainforest, and the view is gorgeous. We woke up every morning and gawked at it for 10 minutes. The pool is also really nice and clean. The place is not fancy by any means, but it is extremely comfortable and cozy. If you're looking for a place that spotless and resort-y, this isn't it. Come here for an authentic experience with genuinely kind and generous people who are willing to show you around.

I would not hesitate to go back and stay with them again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My family of 3 traveled Puerto Rico for a month and La Paloma was the best deal on the whole island. It was a great location near the El Yunque forest. Beautiful Views of Ocean, Vieques Island, and Rolling Mountain Tops of El Yunque! She gave us such a great deal, brought us breakfast every morning, and made dinner. Nilda, the hostess took us to the Conquistador Hotel ( google it!) and even had her grand daughter watch our son while we went out. Our room had a kitchen so we could cook our own meals Great place and best deal on the island!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

Nilda was sweet but they should really clean the room we stayed in or charge a lot less. It smelt Awful. Water all over the kitchen floor. Damp moldy pillow. Little dead critters on the ground. Didn't sleep well at all. Of course I could go on.
On the bright side Nilda took us out on the town fed us the best food I have had in Puerto Rico and it was one of the strangest and most memorable parts of our trip.

If your into going on vacation for wild cultural experiences this is for you. But if your like us and want a comfortable clean Place to sleep first and crazy fun adventures second then maybe consider this.

I also noticed all the reviews were 5 star. So maybe we just got the dirty unmanaged room that hadnt been cleaned in years?

Or maybe there is some smoke and mirrors going on.

Yeah I know it's a guest house and all but I had stayed in culebra the night before and it was $4 more a night, close to everything, comfortable and clean plus the couple drove us around and gave us food.

But then again they didn't have a spiritual rock garden or take us to a world class hotel. Wow!

• Stayed April 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

If you are expecting the Marriott or the Hyatt this place is not for you! However, if you want spectacular views, easy access to the rain forest, authentic Puerto Rican breakfast, and a deal this place is for you. My family of 6 stayed one night and we paid $65 (plus generous tip)! Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Paloma Guest House? Share your experiences!