“Poor hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn El Tuque

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn El Tuque to your Saves list
Quality Inn El Tuque
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3330 Ponce By Pass | Carretera #2, Km 220.1, Ponce 00728-1510, Puerto Rico (Formerly "Hotel El Tuque")   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Ponce
Smithfield, RI
“Poor hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were one of the five guests at the hotel that night. Front desk clerk was nice but too new at work. It took her long time to check us in. Wifi was not working, upon complaint they provided a cord and it worked ok. Water pressure was next to nothing it was trickling in the sink. no hot water in shower and no pressure. We end up taking cold shower which could have been bit warmer than shower out side.

Rooms were clean. TV was ancient 19" on the wall and remote was sicky so we did not bother to try it. We ask information for nearby national franchised restaurant but the information was inadequate. So end up with pizza delivered from Domino. Information on points of attraction was a piece of black paper with some data no personal interaction. Breakfast was OK no fresh fruit. Since there were not too many guest, I understood. I was very disappointed overall and it reflects the rating.

At check out the same poor girl was there. I did not want to make her miserable by complaining about hot water, TV etc. Manager came in shortly after, but disappear to avoid the music.

This is an OK shelter if you like taking cold shower but not worth $130 per night. There were better choice on Island, avoid if you could.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here for 4 days in Febuary 2012 using points. It was the only hotel available for the dates I needed. I must say I was hesitant to book it after seeing it was in the middle of a race track. But it turned out fine and there wasn't any noise.
It is a very basic property. The pool and grounds are actually pretty nice. The free breakfast is good. The room we had was newly remodeled and perfectly fine. The staff members that we met were very friendly.
The location was isolated. There was nothing nearby. That didn't bother us too much since we had plans every day that took us to other parts of the island.
If you can book this with points or for a good rate, it is not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

If you want a place to stay overnight near Ponce downtown,at a good price, this is the perfect hotel.The rooms need improvement,the TV are from the 90's,the bathroom are very small.The breakfast included is ok and the pool is clean and good for the children.

• Stayed February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

On a week long trip around the island, we opted to spend one night at the Quality Inn outside of Ponce. We were trying to balance our trip with higher end hotels in places where we were staying more nights and cheaper, more basic lodgings when only a one night stay was required. First off, yes, this hotel is in the middle of a race track. That didn't bother us. We never heard any noise or had any race-day complications. The grounds are decent, about what you would expect from basic accommodations. The turtle pool and outdoor areas were quaint.

Our main issue was with the housekeeping staff. We placed a do not disturb sign on the door even though we intended to depart for a drive back to San Juan at about 8-9am. At approximately 6am, there was loud banging on our door. Due to the hour, we thought it must have been some sort of mistake, and we tried to ignore it given we had placed the do not disturb sign. The banging stopped, only to resume again about an hour later. My husband got up to see what the problem was, and spoke with a handy person who was about to start mowing the lawn, explaining that we did not need anything and it was hours until check-out. At this point, we were awake so I headed to the shower as he went to check out breakfast options. During my shower, I could hear constant, repetitive bangs on the door as if someone was using a battering ram to try to gain entrance to the room. Upon my husband's return, we literally grabbed our things and fled. I finished my make-up in the car because we were certain that we would be given no peace for the rest of the time we were there.

Upon checking out, the person at the front desk stated that housekeeping had been trying to get in touch with us because they weren't sure whether we had ever checked in or not. This seemed strange to us since we had placed the sign on the door and we had clearly spoken to staff the day before and the person mowing the lawn earlier that morning. It also seemed strange that someone from the front desk would not have simply called the room with the working phone.

We were practically the only guests at the hotel that night. There were maybe 2 other cars in the lot both when we arrived and when we departed. During our entire stay, walking around the courtyard and the pool, we never saw another guest. Our best guess was that housekeeping wanted into the one room they would have to clean so that they could move on with their day. This made our stay nearly intolerable. The room itself was basic. Fairly clean. No major problems. But we would not go back due to the lack of hospitality of some of the staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I was on a five-day cross-island trip with my oldest daughter, and chose to stay here because I was familiar with the hotel, having stayed here the year before on a similar trip with my younger daughter. (I used Choice Hotel points for this stay, as I had the year before.) I had read negative reviews before the first stay and felt that stay was better than expected, so I gave it a three. However, this time I had reasonable expectations - and was let down. Three items: 1) no hot water; 2) broken shower head: 3) no TV remote in room. When I told the front desk in the evening there was no hot water, they said it was being fixed soon. There was still no hot water for morning showers; I told the front desk, and they said it had been fixed; maybe the temperature I got was as warm as it gets. Since I wasn't in the shower that long, the broken shower head wasn't as big of an issue if I had wanted to take a nice, long shower. Strange, but last year there was no TV remote in the room. Since the front desk was closed when I noticed, one of the night security guards brought me one. Two pluses - guest laundry that worked; good breakfast. The only downside to the breakfast was a dog that hung outside the room, trying to get in when guests went in or out. The front desk didn't hand out cans of Off as they did last year, but that was OK, since there was only one mosquito in the room - and I think I killed it! There was a race going on, but you couldn't tell from inside our room on the garden side of the hotel. While I used points for this stay, next time I will try another hotel in town - and use either points or cash. One nice thing about this hotel is the garden area - which has a turtle pond and setting for photos.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The hotel is right in the middle of a race track. For some this may be a problem but we completely enjoyed it. We found this place on our trip around the west end of PR. The hotel is a quaint well kept place. Our younger kids loved the turtle ponds and they all enjoyed the pool and hammock pavilion. The breakfast is standard fare. It is a short 5 minute drive into Ponce where there is everything your heart could desire. By the time we arrive here the kids were worn out from visiting San Juan, Aguadillia and Rincon so to just chill out in a secluded place was a welcome change, we actually extended our stay an extra day! Also... there is a go cart track that was loads of fun, a little spendy but still fun. If you're looking for a resort or the hustle and bustle of the city this place is not for you, But if you wanna relax in a somewhat central location on the Carribiean side of the island this place is pretty cool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

The hotel was owned by Lajas Racing and was in the middle of its racetrack. Literally. I had to drive under the track to get to the room. The property is also cool because it has a turtle pool with big turtles. There were lizards, etc. And some crazy, loud tropical birds in th emorning. The breakfast was in a cute little cabana style room off of the outdoor pool. The main staff spoke great English. But limited when it came to housekeeping, etc. Which is okay, I was in PR. Just saying. The drive was long and over the mountains from San Juan. You go past Ponce, past the Holiday Inn Casino, and then your exit. And it is YOUR exit. There is literally nothing else at the exit. The race track and hotel. That is it. No gas stations, no restuarants, etc. Nothing. The beds were awesome.

Room Tip: The 300's rooms are newer and bigger. The 200's have high very ceilings.