“Cheap but ok ...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Ponce PR

You added Howard Johnson Ponce PR to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Ponce PR
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tuppo Industrial Park 103 | Mercedita, Ponce 00715, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Miami, Florida
“Cheap but ok ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We chose this hotel because we were visiting friends in Ponce and it was located 5 mins away from their house. We left every morning at 9am and didn't come back until midnight. Never used any of the facilities, however, the business center allowed us to do an online check-in and printed our boarding passes. On the first day we learned that bkfst, even though complimentary, was not included at the time of our booking - we did it through Expedia. The price of the restaurant was a little expensive for a family of 4, so we ended up driving to the bakery - 5 mins away - and Burger King for bkfst.

THE ROOM: The beds were full size instead of queen as advertised. We are a family of 4 and asked for a rollaway bed after looking at the tiny beds. They did not have any available. Our room looked big and spacious online, but it was tiny. The hot water was poor. After 2 showers the hot water was gone ... we were told to wait another 15 mins. But at midnight, you really didn't want to wait. There were spider webs on the corner of our room, that we chose to ignore. The beds after all were comfortable even though they were tiny. Ponce sunrise was earlier than Florida, and by 6AM the light was inside our room – please make sure you close the drapes properly or you’ll be awake earlier than expected.

SERVICE: We had good service and they were pleasant at anytime. However, it did not compensate for the flaws.

If you need to stay in the hotel and use facilities as a resort or vacation, I would not suggest to stay here. It is a clean place to stay for the night and for under $80. It is only 5 mins from the airport and is perfect if you are away all day long.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel is outdated rundown and horrible service. The hallways had a foul smell to them the rooms are worn down as well. The curtains covering the sliding door to the pool were ripped to shreds and the table in the room had water damage on the top off it. The hotel compendium was water damaged as well and they did not bother to change it. I used the hotel laundry service and was told maybe I would have it back by the next day. Maybe ! When I did receive my laundry it honestly looked like it was ironed with a rock. I should have left it like it was prior to the laundry service. There were heat bubbles on the front of the suite and when I went to the front desk they told me it was a 3rd party vendor and I would have to call them. I stood my ground and the agent said that I was right that he would make the call and take care of the billing. Only to discover at check out that no such thing had happened and they billed me anyways. Lesson learned you get what you pay for. Cheap hotel Cheap unprofessional staff. Bad property all around. will not stay their again even if they paid me. They kept my $27 but i will never give them the $500 for my stay again. I will take my business elsewhere as so should you. Trust me they will ruin your stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the howard johnson ponce. The Ramada Down town much better property about the same p...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Howard Johnson in Ponce does exactly what it should as a 2 star hotel. It provides a clean, comfortable room, hospitable service (all staff I spoke to spoke excellent English and were quite willing to help), with a convenient location.

It is NOT a 3 star hotel, or a 4 star resort. Nor does it claim to be. When we arrived, the toilet in our room wasn't flushing. My friend fixed it herself in a minute; no need to call housekeeping. Our a/c worked fantastically. The beds were soft, but sleeping on them kinked up my back. (I don't have back problems, but I am used to sleeping on a firm mattress).

Continental breakfast is served, but is only complimentary depending upon how you booked your reservation. For us, it was not included. We purchased breakfast in their restaurant. We got the combo meal, which was the continental buffet, plus a plate of hot food, for $11. Not bad. Good food. Good service, even though they were really rushed.

Location is good, as long as you have a car. It's not really within walking distance of anything. But, with a car, it's easy access to the freeway, perhaps a 15 minute drive to the centro and the plaza, and most likely about the same to the beach, La Guancha, etc.

Would I stay again? Depends on the purpose of my visit to Ponce. If I just needed a reasonably priced place to sleep the night again, sure, I'd stay the the Hojo again.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, and some rooms on the 2nd floor are smoking room. You may want to request...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is perfect for people who want to be close to the downtown area in Ponce.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Longmont, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Originally, I reserved/paid for a room for a long term (3mo or longer) stay two weeks in advance - a suite, with fridge, decent a/c, micro, decent bed, etc. The first night - my room was not available. Second night, I was moved to another room - one they thought was more suited to my reservation - not. I was working 12 hrs a day from the start and really didn't need this additional headache. I finally discussed this matter with the actual Manager (after having to schedule an appt after hours)on the third night since i didn't usually didn't get back to the hotel till late. I was then "promised" a fridge "soon", they brought me a micro right away the next day, said they would fix the a/c, re-check the toilet that never seemed to flush right, and a different mattress that didn't sag in the middle. In the days before I moved out, the toilet still flushed the same despite numerous reports it had been fixed - the a/c unit was finally replaced after 8 days (not during the day, but that night after I got back to the room). The fridge was still a no show as was the mattress. When they saw me carry all my luggage through the lobby at 5am, they acted surprised I was checking out.
The only adjustment to my weekly rate was about 10 USD.
On a good note - the staff will gladly help/listen to you with any problems you have - promise everything will be taken care of tomorrow - just as soon as they get done texting, chatting, or conversing - you will get full attention. When my cell charger mysteriously went missing from the room (just a day before I checked out), they gladly offered me a box from the back room full of chargers from the past 10 years - I was told to take what/how many I wanted. Unfortunately, no one had lost a charger recently that matched mine...
The in-house restaurant food was excellent - albeit, menu somewhat limited, with only one cook, and one waiter that doubled as the cooks helper, wait times were sometimes lengthy.
In short - this is not a "resort Hotel" - I knew that - but I could tell a lot of others did not.
I really cannot recommend for any stay longer than a week. Stay if you have too - but have a "Plan B"

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at the Pone HoJo for one night so that we were closer to the airport for our morning departure. The proximity to the airport was the only thing that they managed to deliver. Upon arrival we needed to wait for the receptionist to finish her call with her friend to check-in. When entering our lovely room we found a mound of ants, a brown spotty ceiling from water damage and mattress fit for torture. That was the good part. Do yourself a favor, Ponce is small and easy to get around. Stay somewhere, anywhere, else.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I took the trash from our dinner downstairs to throw away so that we wouldn't attract more bugs. When asking the receptionist for the location of the trash can, she pointed to the parking lot and got back on her phone call with her friend again.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I got a good multi-day rate through Expedia which made it a value good value. When we first arrived, we were pleasantly suprised at how spacious the hotel was. It seemed clean and fairly modern/efficient. We stayed 4-nights though and as time wore on we became more aware of its flaws. Here are some:

Very small ants are all over the place.
Loud hallway since we were close to front.
Toilet backed up a couple times and had to be plunged.

That said, the pool was pretty good size (though chilly) and really the place met our needs.

One other note is that they do not have an elevator and the upstairs rooms are for smoking. Get a first floor room, even if it means less privacy. They sent us up there first and the smell told me right away to go back and get something better.

Room Tip: First floor, but away from front/conference room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Ponce PR? Share your experiences!