“Don't stay here if you want a hot shower!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
“Don't stay here if you want a hot shower!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, good restaurant and bar, great pool area, clean older rooms.
Hot water 1 of 4 days, even though we informed front desk after day 1. Co-workers shower also didn't drain, but not a problem in my room.
I don't understand the thinking of the desk staff in assigning rooms. On one side of the hotel you have a great pool and ocean view. On the other you see the parking lot. Why put a platinum member 50+ nights a year at HI in the parking lot view?
Employees and room scored low due to shower issues. Otherwise I'd give a better rating.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Timzr,

Thank you for your feedback. I humbly apologize for the issues you had with the shower facility and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write your concerns. Rest assured that your comments will be used and improvements will be made where possible. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you give us a chance to redeem your faith in our products and services.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is one of my favorites on the south of Puerto Rico, Good prices and food with good people. Very comfortable and clean. The pool area its great for the family or couples. The beach view is beautiful. Recommended A+

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

If you want to see Ponce or have a business trip, this hotel is just fine! The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The pool was really quiet and clean.The hotel is nice, but not to spend the entire day there. But to sleep and rest for a while is great and the price is ok. Its very clean and good service.

• Stayed September 2013
K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Spent the week in town for business (I know, rough duty).
Was very impressed with the hotel.
Located on the South side of the island, about an hour or so from San Juan on the North Side, this is the second largest port in PR.
I found the HI Very clean and safe.
The exterior grounds, interior lobby and rooms were well maintained.
The in-house restaurant was very clean, great food, excellent service.
The pool / patio was very impressive (my regret was I didn't have time to actually swim).
The parking lot and small casino was patrolled and very secure.
The hotel itself is a short drive from the La Guancha waterfront and boardwalk.
It's has a nice little night life, and port scene (but, as with much of the south side of the island be mindful of your environment after the shops close for the night).
Traffic can be tricky with all of the road construction in the old part of town at the time.
If you have a chance visit the Cruceta del Vigía.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice location with beautiful view. The staff is courteous but I believe they are overwhelm. We had a long wait at the front desk when registering, we had to wait for valet parking every time, if we requested something at from front desk, we had to wait. The cafe by the pool was a never ending wait. Wait, wait, wait. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was good but most likely I will not stay here for leisure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Jesus Manuel H,

Krysllin G.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

In a city with marginal hotels, this one is OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. Always stayed at the Hilton in Ponce, but got tired of the prices, charges for parking, internet, etc., decided to try this hotel.
The room was OK, the food was OK, the staff were OK. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but I've had better, and have had worse too.
To give perspective, I will probably go back to this hotel on my next trip.
The only problem I had (which is a big problem) is that I couldn't get hot water from my shower.
I complained and they sent someone immediately who played with the faucet and it seemed as though he was getting hot water, so I left it alone. When I tried to use it later and the next morning, again I couldn't get hot water, so 2 days with cold showers. Maybe it was good for me, but I doubt it. Make sure you have hot water when you get to the room, I was too busy and too tired to change rooms once I settled in.

Room Tip: Check out the hot water situation..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Ray2k,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and the room.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the lack of hot water for shower which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Awful. First a list of what they don't have : hot water, competent staff, modern amenities, decent food, and a clue of how to run a hotel.

Now for the long story:
We "stayed" here for three hours. Arriving exhausted after a flight to San Juan and a long drive to Ponce we were starving and all wanted showers. We ordered room service, not expecting miracles but maybe a hot decent meal. NO SUCH LUCK. It was inedible. I was given soup that tasted like watered down dog food. This is not an exaggeration. It smelled and tasted like Alpo.

After that charming food, I decided to take a shower. I turned on the water and waited a few seconds for it to get warm. Then a few minutes.Nothing. I turn to leave and the door won't open. I had to pound on the wall to get one of my family members to open it from the outside like a prison cell. Did Ariel Castro design this hotel? We called the front desk and no one answered so one of us went down to get help.

Two maintenance men finally showed up and fixed the door by replacing the handle. Then they "fixed" the hot water by running both the tap and shower at the same time, which produced about 3 mins of hot water. Enough time for them to leave and dupe us into thinking it had been fixed.

The excuse they gave us was that it took time for hot water to reach the 5th floor. Do these jibaros think we've never stayed in a hotel before? They also told us that Puerto Ricans shower with cold water. Uh huh ok. We're Puerto Rican so we were like "Um no.Nice try. Does that work on gringos?"

Anyway shower attempt #2 produced 3 minutes of warm water followed by gulag cold. Once again a trip had to be made downstairs (their phones are decorative, I guess). Another attempt of the glorious "have two taps on at once" method failed. They offered us two other rooms, each one with equally cold water. The manager offered to go find a room that DID have hot water and call us when this precious gem had been found. We returned to the original room, packed, took one look at each other and decided to leave. I was exhausted, angry, and on the brink of tears.

We called corporate from the car on the way to another hotel. A formal complaint has been lodged. My father is a platinum member at IHG and we have stayed at many Holiday Inns and never had such a terrible experience.

PS: The other Hotel, Pichi's, had hot water immediately and it was the best shower I ever had :)

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear talesfrommiami,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

I am very much disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction you had with the condition of your room and truly sorry that this has negatively affected your overall experience with us. This is definitely not up to our standards, as such, your comments will certainly be looked into and will be used to target opportunity areas.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino? Share your experiences!