“Nice Property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Pleasureville, Kentucky, United States
“Nice Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Spent a week in San Juan and rented a car forone day to drive to Ponce. Arrived about noon and room was not ready, but staff was accomodating about using pool/property prior to check in. We already had on our suits so we used the pool and beach until room was ready. Beach is very rocky and not a lot of beach seating, but pretty views.
Main pool is much smaller than Hilton Caribe in San Juan, but they also have a splash pad and a pool slide. Also pool open 24hrs. Nice grounds, when we were there the hotel was not very full so we had almost the entire grounds to ourselves. Staff at bar and restaurant were very nice. When we did finally get our room (2:30ish which was fine with us) we were assigned 4th floor, nice view ( Since the hotel was almost empty I thought we may be upgraded to one of the end suites- as a diamond member I usually get an upgrade) However, we were in 425- room was clean- view and balcony was nice. We ate on site at LaCava and service and food was wonderful. The hotel is very isolated and when I inquired about taking a taxi to Old Ponce I was almost discouraged. We did visit the casino- it is small but lots of penny machines- didnt win but was fun.
Full breakfast except for the made to order portion is free for Hilton Honors- plenty of food on the regular buffett did not need the upgrade.
Check out is noon so we had plenty of time to enjoy pool the next am before we checked out and drove back to San Juan. Drive on HWY 52 was a beautiful drive through the mountains.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lorrie W

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I am a Diamond member of the Hilton Honors club. I'ave stayed at every hilton property in Puerto Rico over the last year....except for one, The DoubleTree in San Juan, the Hilton properties in PR are TERRIBLE.

This in particular is outright horrible. The rooms are moldy, the Hilton Honors tour is a 15 minute walk from the lobby. The hotel reseption staff, at least the one at night, is really not very friendly. On my recent stay they forgot to tell me about my free breakfast. Then when I got to my room, I called reception, the phone rang and rang, and raaaaang, Gave up and no one answered the phone.

The rooms are moldy, the bathrooms are clean, but very dated. The next morking I went down for breakfast, the restaurant's buffet has very limited choices and the food was luke-warm, not hot. There was also not anyone at the buffet area to help with questions.

Lastly, the lobby bathrood by the Casino is outright disgusting. It was very smelly, the stools were were very old and some of the doors did not even have latches. I could not believe Hilton would allow this type of property in their portfolio. On leaving, we noticed the roads leading up the the hotel have potholes.

Overall, a very dissapointing experience with the property, but more importantly, with Hilton Hotels for allowing this property to fall so far into disrepair. I wont be back.

Room Tip: Tip, dont stay there...find another alternative in Ponce, one less expensive but clean
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Jorge F
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Jorge F:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. As a Hilton Diamond Honors Member we sincerely appreciate your business. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and have comfortable stay. I do however understand from your review that you were not completely satisfied with our properly and I sincerely apologize if we fell short of your expectations. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action, so check-in procedures are correclty taken care of and benefits for our Hilton HHonors Members are properly communicated.
We have conducted renovations in several areas, including public restrooms at the Lobby area, Restaurant and pool area. The Casino restrooms will be next.
Also, we understand the inconvenience of potholes in the roads around town, and we are hopefull they will be repaired by the local Municipality's Office of Transportation, as they are already marked as due to be refilled and repaired.

Again I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Jose Caro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It is an ok hotel, good location. During our trip we decided to go the casino, it was cold and I only saw the server once. We didn't get anything to drink or eat at the casino floor. So we got hungry and left to go out to eat in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MzQueenPR
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Not the right place for me. As soon as we checked in I asked the front desk person if they offered free breakfast or complimentary drinks. She said no but gave my wife and I a ticket each for one free drink at their bar which offered only all rum drinks. I told her about our experience at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde which did include the things I mentioned and at a much lower rate. She went on to try to explain that they operate under the same rewards program buy they are different hotel chains. I did not appreciate the condescending tone of voice she had and told her I've traveled through out the world and know the difference between one and another. I walked away and let my wife complete the check-in process. The navigating from one section of the hotel to the other was not user friendly as well as the staff. I will not stay there again and I will not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Shop around for another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Edgard B
Dear Edgar B:
I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.
We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you expected to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel, and offer various packages with different features, like Daily Breakfast, Golf Rounds, etc... However, Daily Free Cocktail Hours is a perk that is offered by the Embassy Suites Brand alone.
With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.
Jose Caro
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a great hotel. It has all the amenities that you need to have a great stay. The hotel staff are very friendly and professional. The bar was great as well as La Cava Restaurant. The wine and food was great as well as the service. Breakfast was great with a variety of fruits and breads.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at Hilton Sunday thru Tues (oct. 6-7). Great rates at around $100 which included breakfast. Our room was in the west wing and faced the pool. The room was nice with balcony. There were no mosquitoes to speak of as many past reviews had stated. We ate Sunday night BBQ buffet ($18) which was great. The desserts were only ok but the rest of buffet - no complaints. Breakfast buffet was good too, included fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, waffles, French toast, plenty of breads n pastries to chose from.

Monday we pretty much had the beach and pool to ourselves. There were very few people staying here. Plenty of chairs by the pool as well as free cabana's to use by the pool. They do open the gate by the beach and they have chairs out there so u can actually sit on the beach. (Black sand) The pool is always open, as we swam last night at 11 pm.

Monday we drove out of resort and down near Texaco gas was Jorge's Pizza truck. We ordered two slices of supreme, which he made right there and put it in a to go box. We brought it back to hotel and ate it for lunch at the pool.The pizza was awesome and for $3 a slice!

Overall we were pleasantly surprised by this Hilton after reading many negative reviews!! You can't go wrong for the price we paid (off season). We were only planning on staying Sunday night but after being here Sunday, we decided to book another night.

Room Tip: West wing 4th floor facing pool- great view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a nice place to stay. The hotel is nicely appointed and the rooms are maintained well.The staff is decent. The breakfasts are excellent.Used this place for some business meetings.Itvis a good location if you are doing work in the southern part of Puerto Rico

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
4.5 of 5 stars 773 reviews
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel
Copamarina Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!