“Don't know why” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
New York City, New York
“Don't know why”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I m a hilton vacation club owner for many years travel a lot the hotel isn't bad but the front desk is the pits the way they to talk to u makes you want to jump over the desk and show them who helps pay their salary any way I'm sure they have their reason to be that way as for resorts it's enjoyable

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Thai first
christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

the ambience of the hotel is very relaxing. the hotel staff were eager and available to answer any questions or concerns one may have. the room was very clean and comfortable and the view on the 4th floor is spectacular

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel in August 2013. I had an ocean view room in the West Tower.

Getting around: Ponce is about a 2-3 hr drive from San Juan airport, but the hotel concierge, Maria, set me up with a cab driver, Juan Santos. I had Juan Santos' s mobile number and he drove me to all of my business meetings in Ponce all week. The resort is in a remote area, so if you don't have a rental car, thr hotel will call a cab for you. Trips to/from downtown Ponce cost $10. Trips to/from San Juan airport is $140 each way.

I highly recommend Juan Santos. He is friendly, knowledgeable, speaks English quite well, reliable, and fantastic. You can also find him at the cab stand near the square in downtown Ponce.

The resort also offers guests access to the Costa Caribe golf course villa resort. It's about a 5 min drive, and if you want to go, just let the gentlemen at the valet stand know, and they'll take you in a free shuttle van. When you're done at the golf course, which has a sushi restaurant and pool with beach view, just call them or have a staff member call and they'll pick you right up. Note, the hotel shuttle ONLY goes to/from the golf course. All other transportation needs are handled by the hotel calling you a cab.

Food: I had continental breakfast in the Executive Lounge, so I can't comment on breakfast. More on exec lounge below. Lunch and dinner are served as buffets at the resort. I'm a vegetarian, and I was always able to find plenty to eat at the lunch buffet, which includes a soft drink and costs $18. The dinner buffet was a BBQ buffet, which I avoided. I was there on a Sunday and Monday, so the fancier restaurants on the property were unfortunately closed on those days. The poolside grill serves the typical club sandwiches, burgers, fries, etc. Vegetarian options there include freshly made (takes forever, but tastes decent) pizza made your way (meat toppings are available for pizza as well as several veggies, each topping, even the first one, costs $1.50 or so extra)and a veggie burger, which I did not sample. The sushi restaurant at the neighboring golf course has more veggie options, and are more reasonably priced, so it's worth it to take the shuttle trip over there.

Room service has additional vegetarian offerings.

Business: At check in, I was informed that I had access to the executive lounge, which is on the first floor. Key card is required for access. The lounge is equipped with tables and chairs and maybe a couch or two. There are a couple of computers you can use while standing up, but the printer didn't seem to be working while I was there. Continental breakfast consists of orange juice, milk, coffee, access to a latte/hot chocolate/espresso machine, mini boxed cereal, fruit, muffins, danishes, bagels, bread, cold cuts, and sliced cheeses. The spread isn't huge, and it's better to get there early if you want fruit.

The other business suite, on the 2nd floor, is open to all guests. You can use the internet, and print/copy for a charge. The staff in the suite must assist you in making copies, since they have the code.

Kids activities: Pool, wading pool, giant chess, giant connect four, kids bikes & helmets to rent, a playground, a patio where streams of water shoot out like many sprinklers (an absolute delight to the kids), water slide, pool toys, ping pong.There is also an arcade, I think, and maybe more stuff that I'm not aware of.

Adults activities: pool and beach, a zillion beach chairs and loungers, adult bikes with helmets, jogging trail, tennis courts, maybe a basketball court, can't quite remember.Casino, bars, fancy restaurants, golfing at Costa Caribe.

Misc. : The casino has an ATM. Please note taxis operate in cash. There is a sundries store that sells various necessities as well as swim wear. Not a ton of souvenirs though. The golf course has a "bodega" that sells sandwiches, ice cream, drinks, beer, etc.

Overall, great stay at the Hilton Ponce!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This Hotel in particular, has a great familiar enviroment for every member of the family, from olders to youngers, specially for kids. They have a lot of activities for them to be entertained all day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Hollywood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Overall the Hilton Ponce Resort provided all facilities necessary for a family to have a very nice stay. Your kids will have a blast at the pool and will get tired in trying to play with all the games available as well as bike riding and mini golf. The food, ambiance, tropics of the open lobby, bar and 24hr pool are spectacular.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

caguas, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Overall, services excellent. But Ponce Hilton dont have options to lunch less expensive to local customers. The rooms always was clean and good standing. The pool was to many quimicals and wasnt clear, was white. The night dont had any activities for family enjoy. Only Casino, no kids, and bar area.

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am not a picky traveler. I have slept in tents in rural Africa & used squatty potties with no complaints. I believe it is all about new experiences. So please don't think I am "nit picking." Some of the issues I experienced at this hotel are just unacceptable no matter where you are staying.

We were in Ponce o visit family. Before booking, our family h ad informed us that Ponce is not a very touristy part of Puerto Rico. We did not set our expectations too high. We knew it would be a basic accommodation . I rarely stay at Hilton properties but after doing some research, this looked like one of the nicer hotels in the area.

I gave this resort a 2* because we were actually suprised that the large pool area was even nicer than the pictures on the website. There were lots of cabanas, hammocks and comfy loungers. There was lots of activities for kids like a giant chess board, small waterside , etc. The pool was very pretty with lots of palm tress giving it a tropical feel.

Everything else was TERRIBLE.

ARRIVAL: When we arrived and got out of the car, we saw a few employees standing around but no one acknowledged us so we thought we were at the wrong entrance. Once I asked and they said we were at the right place, we still did not get any help with our luggage. We went to find a luggage cart and get it set up ourselves. We thought this was pretty rude but said "oh well - we are on vacation. Just forget about it. No Big deal."

After bringing all our luggage up to the front desk, the guy who checked us in did not smile or say anything. He just asked our name and started printing out a bill for me to sign. He said "sign this and i can give you the room keys." This was rude and even worse, th eprice quote on the bill was twice the amount that was confirmed in my reservation. I was told there was no manager available until tomorrow and I would not be given room keys unless I sign this quote. I reluctantly signed the paper so we could get settled in our room and get some sleep. There was no apology for the confusion or anything.

AFTER THE VERY STRESSFUL CHECK IN - I needed to find some bottled waters for us to drink after our long journey. ( There are not any stores within walking distance of this property.)Room service and hotel dining areas were all closed for the evening so I walked to the lobby bar . The bartender informed me that they were doing inventory and there would not be any bottled waters available until the next day. I checked both vending machines and they were both completely sold out. For our entire 5 night stay, the vending machines were sold out of everything but fruit punch.
I went back to the bar in search of more options. The bartender came up with one bottle of water which he charged me for and then handed me two plastic cups with tap water to take to our room. This was nice of him. I'm sure this was not his fault but seriously ?? I don't care if I am staying at a $40 a night crappy motel - water should always be available! We obviously took a trip to Wal Mart the next morning to stock up on drinks for our room but we never should have had to take time out to do that.

BREAKFAST:
The buffet is $20 a person. I wanted eggs benedict which was not on the buffet. I waited 45 minutes and it never came. Two other travelers I spoke with had the same problem. Th enext morning I decided to keep it simple and just get the buffet so that I could eat at the same time as my family. It all tasted microwaved and gross. Another trip to WalMart!!

*** Please Remember, I am not a diva. I go with the flow especially when on vacation but the attitude and service at this hotel was so bad that I MUST go on........... ***

THE POOL BAR : Extremely slow service but once you have one of their signature pina coladas you will forget how long it took to get there. Good pina coladas & bar food there.

There is a beautiful Parrot named Coco that is in a cage near the pool bar. He is adorable and it is a nice place to take a few pictures next to him. Even though there is a sign asking you not to - We noticed some kids feeding him fried foods on multiple occassions and the staff did nothing about it. We felt bad for little Coco. Hope he lives a healthy life :(

THE BEACH : What beach?

THE GYM: I used the gym about three times. There was decent equipment and no complaints there . In fact, I discovered a WATER COOLER in the gym with plastic cups! Assuming the water was filtered - I came back here when I got thirsty since there was no clean water on the rest of the property!

THE ROOM: Bathroom was very dirty from the beginning. There was no fan so the room got very muggy especially after someone took a hot shower. There was always a musty smell lingering around. 80's style tile floors.

There were leaf blowers going at 7-8:00 in the morning. Not very vacation - like!
There are STRAY DOGS running around the property everyday.

~~ A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO JOSE AT THE FRONT DESK - MORNING SHIFT ~~
He seemed to be the only employee that cared about our concern of the overcharges on our bill. Each morning he greeted us with a smile and reassured us that it would get resolved before checking out. This is the only smile we saw during our entire stay!

While the pool is very nice, I feel that we spent the majority of our stay checking the front desk, looking for managers and using our phones to check our bank account online every few hours because the hotel was being so wishy washy about the bill with us.

CHECK OUT DAY FINALLY CAME ( Thank God ) Jose was unfortunatly off that day. We asked the front desk girl for a manager to check us out. She said there is not one available. We asked the other front desk girl who said " Sorry she is in an important meeting." ( at 11:00 check out time. ) We needed to move on with our journey and couldnt leave without resolving our bill which has now taken 5 days of begging . I finally demanded a manager and quit being nice.

Mareldys Rodriguez (The Front Desk Manager ) appeared. She was very professional and resolved the mistakes on our bill within five minutes. It was that simple?! Where had this lady been during our entire stay? We are grateful for Mareldys & Jose but if this resolve had happened on our first day, it would have saved us a lot of financial anxiety on our trip.

We weren't expecting the world. If the service had been just decent at this Hilton I would have been able to rate this hotel a little higher but the employees do not care about anything. Worse service ever. I honestly cannot recommend this hotel for even one night to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!