“Nice resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Ponce
buffalo
“Nice resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Christmas. OUr rooms were very comfortable,overlooking the beach in the executive tower. The resort was very comfortable and clean. It is far from downtown but great for a quiet vacation in the nature. We did not play golf but most of the guests were carrying their golf gear. The service, maybe due to Christmas was unpredictable. At the pool bar it was not easy to order food because the bartenders tried to ignore the customers. Of the 3 days we stayed there there was only one waiter named Yancy, who did his job above and beyond.The executive lounge was closed during the day after breakfast and during the happy hour we noticed a sign that asked for $5 per alcoholic drinks. It is the first time in a Hilton lounge we saw this. We attended the Christmas special buffet dinner, since most of the restaurants were closed. But the next day we drove downtown for an authentic dinner. If we go back to Puerto Rico we might stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

669 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a ground floor room with a patio, it was lovely and very quiet. We were towards the end of the hall and had a view of part of the grounds looking out toward the beach. The beach area at the main hotel is not the greatest, there are rocks in the shallow water which isn't very clear or calm. However, the beach at Costa Caribe is much nicer and the shuttle is readily available. We ate at the pool bar while we were there and had drinks several times, service was adequate though not very friendly. The pool tends to become quite crowded and the hot tubs were far too hot. Again, better to go to Costa Caribe.
Despite those things, our room was always clean (it seemed like they did that every morning right after we departed) and the concierge was helpful, though she seemed very busy and was sometimes hard to catch. The valets and parking attendants were also extremely helpful even though there were some problems with the parking ticket system while we were there.
This is a slightly older resort and about 10 minutes from Ponce Centro but we felt we got a very good price and had no problems exploring the area from there in our rental car.

Room Tip: Loved our room with the patio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice, would have really enjoyed our stay here. Was planning on giving it a great Review. Only problem is the hotel caters to a swim team training facility. The hotel is overrun by obnoxious college students who are always yelling and hogging everything. We were unable to use the fitness facilities, the hot tub, a chair in the sun. The hotel claims the kids go to the training facility during the day, but that is not true. They go in shifts, so at any given time there are 70 kids at the beach or the pool hogging the lawn chairs and hollering at each other. They were worse at the buffet. you would think either their parents, the coach or the hotel would teach them to be considerate of other guests. It was not a relaxing grown up vacation, it was like being on spring break in your 40's.

• Stayed January 2013
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Golf Resort & Casino in Ponce on November 19. Getting to the hotel was easy with directional signs right off the highway. Upon arriving we could see the valet parking at the entrance, so we took a right in parked in the self-parking lot. We walked up to the front desk and waited patiently for someone appear. When a person did, a woman who came in after me jumped to the counter. I wasn't in a hurry so it was fine. Other employees came to the desk but were talking and did not ask to help me (which I found annoying). Than another woman showed up and walked right up to them. This annoyed me even more. After standing there for over 15 minutes, another employee appeared and asked if she could help me. After being given the keys to room 574 in the Executive Tower, we went in search of our room. This is an older hotel with outdoor corridors to rooms. The room was at the far end of the property which made it quite. The room itself was large, clean and nice (although some walls could use a paint touch up). The bathroom was very nice as well. The balcony was long and the view of the ocean was amazing. The hotel has several pools and hot, HOT tubs, and activities for people of all ages; including bicycle rentals. A short walk to the beach from the pools. After sunset we checked out the menus for the restaurants there, but decided to drive into Ponce to find someplace. The hotel wifi was down when we first arrived, but later that night it was on and could be accessed from the room. I would probably like to stay at this hotel again for a longer visit. Although the staff could be a lot more attentive and personable, the property is very nice. Just keep in mind this is older elegance... I imagine this was probably a very ritzy place about 20 years ago.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Ponce for 3 out of our 7 days visiting Puerto Rico. From the moment we arrived we had issues with the resort. At the terrace restaurant we waited for 30 minutes to be waited on and finally just got up and gave our order the hostess. When it was time to get the bill, we waited another 20 minutes and then finally went and just handed another waiter our credit card.

While the grounds of the hotel are very nice, the hours of operation are not ideal. At 6pm the beach gates are locked and the cabanas are closed. It made it hard for a suset walk along the beach or enjoying the hammocks at night. I understand wanting to close off the resort from the beach since it is public but 6pm seems very early.

The staff was also medicore at best. Trying to find a concierge to help us book a kayaking trip was probably the most difficult task I faced my entire vacation. There was never anyone at the desk, regardless of the time of day. Finally when she was there she helped other people before me even though I had clearly been standing at the desk first.

Finally, the "executive lounge" was probably the worst one I have ever seen. It had very limited hours, the cocktails you had to pay for and it was closed on the weekends. Also, there was no staff member there to help us book our trip.

I could see this resort being great for a family with kids since it does have a lot of activities for children and has a nice pool. Or for a couple who are in PR to just golf since the golf course is so close. But if you are in Ponce to explore the city and surrounding area, I would not recommend it due to it's remote distance from the rest of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. I truly apologize that you had to wait a long time to have someone to assist you at our front desk. I also apologize if some of our hours of operation inconvenienced you in any way. I can assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration and we are looking at different alternatives to accommodate our guests’ expectations. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.
Jose Caro
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at Hilton Ponce with my wife and two sons for one week from Dec. 24 through Dec. 30 at the Executive Tower. Our room were on the fifth floor which had a clear view of the ocean front and the access to the Executive Lounge. We woke up every morning listening to the sound of the waves and the touch of the gentle breeze. Overall resort facilities are great including the pool, restaurants and Caribe Golf Resort . The adjacent beach area was not to our expectations due to the murky waters. The hotel staff was polite, very helpful and the housekeeping was to our satisfaction. We enjoyed our stay and will come back again.

Room Tip: Get a high floor in Executive Tower with access to the Executive Lounge.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Emphasizing on Convention Center would give a better picture of the place. In the middle of nowhere, bunker style buildings, partly surrounded by the parking, good size, efficient but plain room with gorgoeus view, at least in Executive and West wing. That's the only gorgoeus thing there! Oh! the pool can be very nice if not full of yelling children... If travelling with kids, it could be a reason to choose that hotel. Touring PR, we picked it as a base to visit the area and booked an executive room which gives access to a lounge. I don't remember seing such a boring one! It's opened limited hours only, no newspapers. It became grab & go because they keep the temp so low, it was like entering a fridge plus the service was no good. Specially for bfast, 3 morning out of 5, I had to go ask to clean the tables outside, same for refilling the buffet and it was far from crowded... We had some issues with the room. Checking-in at 3:30, we were told that the room was not ready when Check-in is supposed to be at 3:00. Since I insisted to see the room anyhow, I was showed one, who was ready (?) but declined because it was a communicating one. I was showed a second one, also ready (??) We took it. As I wrote, the ocean view was fantastic but the room itself was just ok. Furniture showing his age, piece of wood missing on a chest, a big white stain on the armchair and same on the bed skirt but disgusting brown color that couldn't be missed when doing the bed... Sheets we slept in the first night where ready to make rags (several little holes) Last drawback: dirty beach. I understand that all beaches are public in PR but it seems to me that at least the part in front of the hotel could be taken care of. Previous review mentionned nice terrasses on ground floor rooms. That's true, but one might want to know that there is a LOT of iguanas around the hotel. We had a nice dinner at LA Cava restaurant but it's one star below if not 2, the excellent Lola of Ponce (Ramada Inn, 3$ valet parking).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our resort. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guest to have a clean and comfortable stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Jose Caro

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!