“Reserve Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Puerto Rico
“Reserve Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Mr. Rockefeller's legacy was preserved, and still this magnificent property, incredible surroundings and landscape overwhelms you. The lobby is a state of the art design... like a sacred sanctuary, a temple from a Hollywood movie nested by a scenery that speaks of tropical beauty...yet so silent. The secluded pristine beach is the main course for many....for some others is Golf...but most definitely...you feel you have arrived to paradise.

The rooms are very spacious and overlook the ocean, decorated with simple, yet elegant tropical design. Comfortable Balconies invite you to enjoy the pleasures of this retreat as the wind and the sea hit the coral reefs.

The spa is one of the most incredible spas I have visited. Designed to awaken your senses, the lobby warms you with a mixture of aromas from dry flowers, spices, and herbs hanging from the ceiling. A private party was held, so some of the areas were "unavailable". It is expensive, but worth the visit. The little store needs some attendance and additional inventory.

Restaurants offer limited menu, but there is a variety of choices along the property; from asian, spanish, caribbean to international. Prices are as expected. The main restaurant, Mi Casa from José Andrés has a very nice lounge and bar area. Ambiance is inviting, bar-tending and service is great. We were not as impressed by the food as we had expected. Presentation, flavors and options were as good as any other nice restaurant in the island...not as one you would expect from an international acclaimed chef like José Andrés.

Our experience for Room Service and concierge was not very true for such a luxury Hotel. Please take note on a very important promise of world class service, not only for important visitors from all over the world, but also for every returning fan from the island.

Welcome Ritz Carlton to Dorado! Paradise is in your hands.....

Room Tip: The property is big. Take into consideration your favorite activities. If you like to work out reser...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I rely on Trip Advisor for lots of help picking places. I am spending $700 a night here for an AMAZING room that is expensive - yes - but had the best bed on the planet - and the most beautiful view of the beach I've ever been to. So, I can only give this place top notch ratings. The people are wonderful - service is close to perfect. The place is gorgeous and breathtaking. A pond full of flowering lily pads? Come on! It is relaxed and spread out so you do not feel the intrusion of others. The pool is like a negative edge to the sea. You have private, cozy "cabanas" that are right there to take - no reservations or cost. Honestly, I could write up a long review, but why bother. Everything is really wonderful here. Just don't pick on a few things that might not be perfectly timed or exact since it's a new place (open 6 months) and you are relaxing on vacation. No need to stress or worry. We had a guide take us to the Rain Forest today and were just amazed by his ability to inform, entertain, and make it fun. He made our day. His name was Gus, so ask for him. Hospitality A-1 all around. Come and relax and have empanadas by the pool with your favorite drink - enjoy room service for breakfast like we did - amazing food and such a wonderful deck to sit out and enjoy the morning. Bikes they bring to your door and leave there for the whole stay so you can ride around the property and enjoy yourselves. So much fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 621 - upper floor and very close to the pool and bar - but far enough to have no n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hunterdon County, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you can afford to visit PR and stay at the Ritz or if you have friends on the island / in Dorado, a visit to Spa Botanico is a must. Everything that other reviewers have said is true: they have thought of EVERYTHING you would need (toiletries, towels, hair products, soaps, robes, sandals, tea, dried fruits/nuts, etc.) for your visit. The only thing you need to do is bring your wallet, a great book and clean clothes to change into once your time there is spent. The only way to properly enjoy this spa, if you are traveling with your dear husband and darling children is to tell them up front you are gone til late afternoon and that you all are going out to dinner. The glow and relaxation of the day is worth carrying thru real life as long as possible! I normally could never justify $300 for a 90 min massage, but I did this time visiting my friend, with the idea that we would experience EVERY amenity offered and take our time. So, traveler, I suggest you plan a service at 11am or 12pm, show up not later than 10am, use outdoor shower to clean up, then do steam room til you can't stand it another second, then do cold plunge pool (AMAZING), then do the 2 things i just mentioned again (and forget your suit or sarong - who knows how to tie a sarong anyway? not I. just use the robe given, disrobe for plunge pool, use a towel in steam room). Then wait on lounger by plunge pool til you are collected for your service. Your muscles will feel like jello. The Bamboo/stone massage is the most amazing thing i have ever experienced. Perhaps every spa employee is excellent, but I would go broke if I lived in PR because I'd be back to Luis Antonio every quarter for this massage. 90 amazing minutes. I was near tears with gratitude when he finished. Then get your book and rest in the relaxation room and read, sip tea and eat snacks and take in all that just happened. Shower again, clean clothes and you will be okay to finally leave this piece of heaven by around 3 or so... The Ritz did it right. Every employee bent over backwards to make sure we (my friend and I) wanted for nothing. It was immaculately clean, beautiful and quiet. Beware of tree massage only due to construction noise.

Room Tip: dont know about room as i did not stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I just arrived a couple days ago with wife and two kids. The place is top notch- service is excellent from the front desk, to the beach and pool staff to the waiters and waitresses.

Rebecca our assigned "embajador" was amazing. For example, it drizzled one afternoon, she took my wife and kids on a tour of the resort showed lots of wildlife etc- the resort is actually huge with lots of interesting things to see. My kids loved it. At the end she brought hot chocolate and treats to our room with a big smile!

The beach is beautiful with clear water- you can see the bottom. The plunge pool is amazing, my room is in building two on the top floor amazing views. I have been to many top resorts - cayman ritz etc. This resort is one of my favorites!

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I were anticipating our three night stay at Dorado Beach for months, so I will preface this review by stating that our expectations were high. That said, at the price of the rooms I think high expectations are quite acceptable.

Let me begin by the reasons to go, because despite an overly glowing recommendation I still think it is a great property. The rooms are some of the best I've ever stayed in--tastefully designed and expertly planned. There was an ipod dock in the bathroom, the ocean view from the bed was spectacular, and the layout of the rooms both private when desired and open and airy when preferred made for a truly memorable stay.

The setting of the hotel was also spectacular. The scale of the property allowed for absolute privacy when we wanted it either in our room or on a private walk and among people by the pools when we felt like it, but even there, there was always space to spread out and relax--an empty chair when you wanted it. All the public spaces were also impeccably designed making the stay feel truly relaxing.

Unfortunately, the service was less than impressive. A few highlights included an offer for a daily newspaper and coffee--though requested upon arrival they never arrived; a promise upon arrival that our room would be ready in 15 minutes but 45 minutes later we were still waiting; pool service that despite the small scale and limited guests still look 15 minutes for drinks and 30 minutes for food. The other service issues included calling the front desk and having to wait 5-10 rings for someone to pick up, or promises of butler service that never really materialized.

The other challenge was the food service. The offerings were quite limited at the restaurants--breakfast was by far the best meal. The main restaurant while impressively designed had average dinner service and mediocre food.

Would I go again? Maybe--for the setting, the rooms, and the feeling of the resort. Would I have reservations? Absolutely! They include average service, unimpressive food offerings, and generally ineffectual management.

We'll see.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

There is so many wonderful things to say about this resort. It is perfect in just about every way! My husband and I just got back from spending 4 nights here.

Rooms:
I honestly do not think there is probably a "bad" room in this place. When we booked our stay- the resort breaks up your room options between "west" and "east" beach. I asked a few people who had posted prior reviews- and they said both are great....and they are right! If you are traveling with children- I would guess you might prefer west beach since it backs the part of the beach you can actuall swim in. The east beach is rockier and while pretty- not a swimmable beach. West beach is also closer to the beach club which I believe has some kids activities (I did not travel with kids- so I do not know that for sure!). Every room is essentially right on the ocean- so I agree with some prior reviews that I don't believe you can have a bad room here :-)

Property:
The property is absolutely amazing and breathtaking. There is nothing that I would change about this place. Whoever designed this place and did the decor did a fantastic job. The pool areas are beautiful if you just want to relax. There is a great bike path and you can get bikes and take a great ride around Dorado Beach. There is a lot of security around so you feel very safe.

Restaurants:
All of our meals here were great. The quality of the food was extremely high- definitely top notch. All of the adult beverages were made to perfection (I hate an "improperly" made cocktail). The chefs and bartenders here clearly know what they are doing.

Spa:
This is the nicest spa I have ever visited. Just like everything with the hotel, the spa is perfect too. I wish this was a spa I could go to more frequently. The treatments I had were all great. I would specifically recommend the bamboo and rock massage if you like deep tissue massages. The therapists were wonderful too- and clearly very experienced.

Overall- this is just about the most wonderful resort we have been to. I look forward to being able to go back one day soon!

Room Tip: East and West beach are both great- hard to go wrong! Plunge pool rooms are great if you want to be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Let me start by saying I have been fortunate to stay at some luxury resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico, and this resort is now one of my favorites. One of the appealing aspects for me was the easy flight from the east coast and the fact that PR is a US territory, so English is prevalent and there is no need for currency exchange.

We opted to take a taxi from the airport instead of using hotel transportation. We saved 150.00 round trip, so it's absolutely worth it and the taxis are waiting outside baggage claim.

The resort itself is fantastic. Very clean and modern decor. We had a ground floor plunge room. The bathroom is awesome. Outdoor shower, smart TV, plunge pool, and the beach is no more than 20 steps from your patio. Undeniably the best room I have stayed in.

The spa is well worth the expense. The men's and women's have their own facilities and the steam room, cold and hot plunge pools are a great way to relax before and after your treatment. We had bikes to use thoughtful our stay. We did run and bike each morning. The resort advertises an 11 mile trail. But actually it's about three miles of scenic trail with the rest traversing through neighborhoods around Dorado.

There are two restaurants. We personally enjoyed the more laid back outdoor restaurant that's situated away from the lobby area. Alcohol beverages are unreasonably expensive. I expect to pay a premium at a luxury resort, but Dorado Beach is over the top. 9.00 for a corona and 18.00 for a glass of wine. They should reconsider their pricing.

We did sit by the pools each day, and their are two pools you can choose from. The main pool is in front of the lobby and the sand bar. This is the pool to go to if you want to eat lunch in your pool chair or have a drink by the pool. The service is ok. The other pool is away from the main building right past the spa. This pool has more families and kids. There is no bar service.

Overall this is a great resort. I found that the staff was friendly and attentive when need be. There really are no negatives. The view from your room overlooking your plunge pool with the ocean in the background is like a postcard. You won't regret visiting.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!