“Great Hotel-Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach Resort

You added Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach Resort to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Dorado Del Mar Boulevard, Dorado 00646, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel-Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort with a few friends and it was great. The pool area is awesome and the pool side bar is perfect for lunch and drinks. The other perks of the hotel were awesome as well. Free breakfast every morning with all the you could want. Great omlet bar and just all sorts of breakfast choices. The free cocktail hour was also perfect. You could get as many drinks at a time as you wanted. I would highly recommend the sangria they have! So good! The staff is also so polite and helpful with anythingggg you need. More than once we has questions about trips we were taking outside the hotel and they went beyond to help us. As well as always offering free waters which is another little perk. The beach area is small as described in some previous post but its still nice. No crystal clear blue waters like you would invision on a tropical island but they offer paddle boats and kayaks that you can explore the like inlet with. Also the average age of guests staying at the hotel was either over 50 or under 10. I was staying with two friends and were all around 22 years old and we still enjoyd our time I would just recommend for someone around our age to stay somewhere in san juan. We did travle to san juan to go to a bar one night but its a good 30-45 min drive which is obviously a long time if your planning on going to get a few drinks. There was no night life in dorado, the casino is fun and lively but the crowd was also all over 50. The hotel staff did telll us there were some bars in the town of dorado they were just about a 10min drive off the resort area but we didnt explore them and honestly the town looked very dangerous I dont think I would have felt comfortable going out into it. The town of san juan is also a little scary so Iwould suggest be careful. Overall the hotel was great for relaxing by the pool and beach but not so much on the night life side of things. Def a hotel for an older crowd!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Isaias R, Manager at Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hello Brooke G:

Thanks for submitting your review, I am more than happy with the comments, I agree that the staff is our strongest asset, they enjoy and love what they do and it is more than satisfying for us. I am happy we met your expectations and hope you woould reconsider staying with us in the future.

Have a great day!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Parking staff needs to be more friendly. I wasn't greeted at all.

Check in staff is great! The parking guys should take some tips.

I had to walk out of the dinner service. 60minutes and no meal! It was a fiasco from start to finish!

We were taken to one table. I asked for another one and the receptionist simply explained, "It's dirty." with no offer to clean it. Then she proceeded to offer us to blue photocopied pieces of paper she called "menus" explaining that she had run out of the real menus. That wasn't encouraging.

The waitress introduced herself. She offered to clean the dirty table and moved us to it. I asked her name again so I could remember it. Then she noticed that she didn't have her name tag so she said she would go get it. 5-10 minutes later she came back...yes, she had the name tag and she repeated her name, but I would have appreciated some water instead of the name tag break.

The dinner order was simple..chillo entero for God's sake! and chicken with penne. 60 minutes later nothing except for the jibarito appetizer. Yet other people got real menus AND their food. Maybe I just looked ugly or something. It didn't help that 20 minutes into the ordeal the waitress lied and said, "Oh, they ware just plating the pasta and then I can bring out the chillo". We walked out. The manager comped the appetizer since it was taking the waitress another 10 minutes to correct the charges. My dinner guest was not pleased and spoke words to the manager. The manager handled my guest's "comments" gracefully...

From the time the front desk person (they are the best!) recommended another restaurant, Antojitos de Katrina in Dorado, it took less time to walk to the car, leave self parking, drive to Katrina's, park, order and eat chillo entero at Katrina's than the amount of time I spent being served nothing at the hotel restaurant..and the all the server's at Antojitos de Katrina had their name badges on when we got there!

The power went out briefly TWICE the second night of my stay, but that was probably mother nature's fault.

Also, they should really fix the "m" in the "Embassy Suites" sign in front of the hotel so that it is lit at night. Doesn't look so great from the road with the "m" missing when driving up to the hotel at night.

The beach is not so great - way too small, but you can't blame the hotel for that.. Security is tighter than some American prisons. I mean I felt safe, but between the wristbands, swiping in and out to get to the beach, the towel sign out card and trying to swipe the elevator button and the room lock with the door card with two free drinks in your hand, the ambiance of being relaxed and carefree was lost.

What the beach lacks, the pool space makes up for. It's a great setup for families. But if you are one that likes to stroll long wide (beautiful) beaches, this is not the place for you.

The saving grace of this hotel is the front desk staff! 100% on and 100% great the whole experience! Need toothpaste? No problem. Need a recommendation for a restaurant? No problem. All with competence and a smile.

The second great plus of this hotel is the morning breakfast buffet and staff! Again, 100% on top of their game, but sometimes early in the morning, the omelet guy or gal will sneak away. Ojo! Follow the advice of the staff. Breakfast at 7am is relaxed and you can have your pick of the tables. But at 8am it is busy and by 9am it's welcome to the Port Authority Bus Station in New York City!

The free drink special is kinda gimmicky. Long lines. Weak drinks. Two days in a row I tried to order a fuzzy navel. Two days in a row bartender says he is out of peach schnapps even though several bottles of the stuff were on display. But that's my fault. This is Puerto Rico, right? Get with the program and order something with rum in it! :)

Rooms are clean. Microwave, small fridge and safe. The typical Embassy Suites setup with separate sleeping and living is especially nice if half the party wants to be up and other people want to rest.

That said, lamentablemente, yo no regresso nunca jamas a ese Embassy Suites.

I won't be back. The pluses of the hotel (front desk staff, breakfast and breakfast staff, golf amenities) couldn't overcome the minuses (beach, dinner, security, power failure). Faced with one more night in PR in this hotel, I decamped to the Courtyard Isla Verde and unfortunately I have to say that I sincerely wish I had been at the Marriott my whole stay.

Great staff, but I would recommend looking at other options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello Inspector12:

First of all I want to apologize for the inconveniences encountered in our hotel, we also recieved your Hilton survey and our Food and Beverage Director will be emailing you today offering compensation for the inconveniences encountered in our property. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, we will share your feedback with our team and will discuss the items that need to be addressed immediately in order to correct them as soon as possible.

Also thank you for the positive comments about the staff and suite accomodations.

Excelsior, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a great hotel about 30 minutes west of San Juan The breakfast was great every morning with an omelette bar where they made as much as thirty omelletes at a time. You need to get to breakfast by 8:30 to catch it; they close down at 9:30 sharp. Try the local coffee which they serve with hot milk is delicious. The Beach was beautifual as well as the pool area. The pool was very clean, and they have a great bar area out by the pool. Only complaint was the price of the drinks were very high, so think about bringing in you own. Happy hour goes for two hours from 5:30 to 7:30, and drinks are free, nice. They played music on the weekends, and things got a bit more noisy for a couple days, then quieted down on Sunday. Request a partial view on the East side of th building or Ocean View. These are the best rooms, and you need to be higher than the fourth floor to really have a view.

If you want waves to surf or boogie board there beaches close to the hotel. Rent a car while you are there, rental is cheap, and since it is a US territory, there no need for special insurance. There is plenty to see on the island. The rain forestis a hour and half east of the hotel and worth the drive. gorgeous. Old San Juan is 40 minutes away by seaside highway (191), I suggest you drive to Cantano and take the fairy across the bay, parking is $5 and the ticket for the ferry is fifty cents per person one way. Make to the fort, lots of good history there.

There is a Walgreens and CVS right out the front gate, and also a good sized grocery store was close as well.

Staff were all friendly and helpful; most peole that ran into the trip were very friendly. The hotel and island is a great place to visit. Great Hispanic culture with all the safety and convenience of home. Loved this hotel and Puerto Rico.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi Thomas K:

Thanks so much for taking the time of writing such an informative and helpful review, I am more than pleased with your comments, I will definitely share these comments with the staff who will feel the same satisfaction I had upon reading it. It is great to hear all this feedback,

Hope you would return to our hotel and I can personally welcome you.

Have a great day!!!
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

excellent staff, location, access to beach, pools, rooms, drive to eating joints, golf course, casino, price, parking, breakfast, MANAGER's SPECIAL HAPPY HOUR OF DRINKS FOR 2 HOURS FOR FREE!!!!!, 5.30 - 7.30 PM every day, drink on the house at the bar..

VERY HAPPY WITH THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE.. RECOMMEND!

Hello Andy G:

Thank you so much for your review, that's what I call "short and sweet", I am very happy to read your review and see the enthusiasm you express after your visit to the hotel, these are the most gratifying experiences we can get from our clients.

Have a nice day!
Juana Diaz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This weekend vacation was planned so I could spend time with my parents and as a gift to my mother for her birthday. The staff was very kind and helpful with what we needed. The pool area was adecuate for us to relax and the beach was just find. What was included in our package we found worth what we paid. We would reconsider staying at the Embassy Suites Dorado again inthe future.

Hi Gricy:

Thanks for submitting your review, it's great to hear we met your expectations, that is certainly our goal every day. I would love to greet you in your next visit to our hotel.

Elkridge, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently traveled to the Embassy Suites in Dorado, PR for business and found the hotel very accommodating. Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were a bit dated, but clean and tidy. The pool area is very nicely appointed and relaxing. This is good place for families and for adults as well. The thing to remember is that things go at a slower pace in PR, so if you want your lunch in a hurry or your room cleaned right of way, you will be disappointed. A good trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi Flolo86:

Thank you for submitting your review, I am pleased you had a god experience in our property.

Have a nice day!

Newtown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A bit of personal background to add some perspective, my wife and I are in our early 60’s and have been fortunate to do a lot of leisure travel, usually in moderate or above resort type properties. I use trip advisor often for research but shamefully infrequently post reviews. Our experience at the Embassy Suites Dorado del mar was so positive I felt compelled to share my thoughts with you.

The staff at this resort is its strongest asset. Starting with the omnipresent manager Mr. Isaias Rodriguez who is genuinely concerned about this property, the hotel staff and its guests. A take charge type leader and problem solver with an infectious smile that makes you feel at home. All the staff is professional, friendly, competent and really appear to enjoy their job and have you as a visitor. I ordinarily don’t get to emotional on vacation but I was hugging some workers my last day there (Sorry Monica!).

It appears that many concerns of previous travelers have been examined and have been or are being addressed. For example, only very short waits for the excellent breakfast buffet and great happy hours. Fitness center had equipment and TV set working, beach was clean and had plenty of chairs, the parking garage gate worked fine and we had no problem getting parking spaces.

This hotel caters to all types of people. We saw business, three generation family’s, couples, a few singles, young and old, some local most from the States and a few from other countries. All getting along enjoying the pool and keeping themselves entertained.
Talking with other guest we found many are return customers, others getting ready for a cruise and two different groups who left hotels in San Juan because of safety and cost factors.

Our ocean view room was more than adequate and comfortable. An upper floor unit that had a great view of ocean, newer carpets some newer furniture; however the curtains and couch needed replacement. The bathroom was functional and could use an updating with new fixtures and tile. The room was thoroughly cleaned by 1PM every day.

We chose this resort for the Golf and Casino and enjoyed both. The course is the equivalent to good public one in the states (Better one 2 miles away at Dorado Beach Club but very costly). The Casino was very basic but a nice distraction for a few hours.

Good restaurants in all price ranges and categories with most being 2-3 miles away from the resort. A few nights we ate at the resort and across the street both were good and convenient but more expensive that in town. Supermarkets for goodies, wine, booze, and beer are in town and are assessable.

My final random thoughts of this vacation experience in no particular order are most people in the Dorado community are welcoming and gracious but take precautions when traveling outside the resort, ask the front desk when are were you can travel. Area is full of gated communities and security is on everyone’s mind. A car is very helpful. This resort has limited activities for very active people. The staff does the best it can do under budget restraints so there are well worn areas in many rooms and around the beautiful grounds. The beach at the hotel has a man made reef because of rough tides so its shallow a bit rocky, hard to walk along and narrow but great to look at. If you are the type that gets upset because they temporarily run out of butter, a lime slice or the ice machine may be down on your floor your better off elsewhere. That does not faze me so yes I can recommend this resort and would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Thomas:

WOW, thank you so much for this spectacular and detailed review, it certainly made my day when I read it. I have shared this review with the staff and Executive Commitee and we are all more than pleased and satisfied about all your comments. Thanks for taking the time of detailing your experience and noticing the areas that we have corrected based on other clients reviewed, we continue working on areas of need in order to satisfy every guest every time.

It was a pleasure seeing you in the lobby and always receiving your smile and great feedback every time. Thank you so much for the time spent with me, those are the moments that bring the most satisfaction of working in the hotel industry.

Hope I have the oportunity to greet you on your next visit in Dorado!

Isaias Rodriguez

Been to Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!