“Uva Playa BAD EXPERIENCE” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza, International, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Rincon, Puerto Rico
“Uva Playa BAD EXPERIENCE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Recently I visited Uva Playa Rest., I did not have a good experience. We hook up with some friends to have a good dinner and we all order a mar y tierra plate(steak and lobster) and the plate cost $48. We expected to have a good size meal and instead we had a 1/2 lobster tail small size and a small piece of churrasco (steak) less than 8oz. The food was cold and taste less. The waiter was unaware of the menu availability of plates and seem to unknown the prices. we definitely had a bad experience and felt to overpay the dinner. Oh one last thing, the lobster wasn't fresh because we saw from the sea deck thru a glass window the chef cooking and the lobster tail was frozen and taken out of a plastic bag. We definitely do not recommend this restaurant, is not fresh food and prices are excessive.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“Doesn't live up to the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We visited Uva Playa on a Saturday afternoon. We were expecting a lot because of the reviews it has here. The place is beautifully decorated and has a nice vibe to it. That being said, it's a shame that being a beachfront restaurant the inside tables have no ocean view. Because of that, we decided to sit at the beachfront deck, which wasn't a smart decision because the umbrella at our table decided to attack us midway through our lunch because it wasn't secured to its base. The menu is very limited and uninspired and it has grammatical errors (I know that's kinda irrelevant but still...). The food was ok, we had burgers as our main dishes and they came with french fries that clearly come from a frozen bag that you would find at the supermarket. The service was TERRIBLE, our waitress brought to our table the wrong appetizer dish and when we asked her to cancel the appetizer that we originally ordered she said that it wasn't possible because the chef had already prepared it, she said something like: "It's ok, I'll just add it to your tab". We were a bit annoyed by this and we asked if we could cancel the main dishes and she said no and that if we were full she could give them to us "to-go". We were hungry so we just shook it off and stayed for the burgers. Bottom line: there are better restaurants out there, specially in the Joyuda area.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Not what we expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Visited on a Saturday night. Beautiful restaurant, decorations are really spectacular. Very limited menu items. Service was pretty good. Our main complaint would be the food. It is overpriced for the food served and the taste is a hit or miss. There is no children's menu so we ordered the chicken breast without the jerk seasoning nor guava sauce for my 8 year old. I ordered the same but with all the works and it tasted exactly the same as hers. At a certain point in the meal a gentleman approached us (I believe it was the owner) and asked us "Do you know we have kids plates which are only half). Nevertheless, when the ticket came we were charged the same amount for her plate and for mine. The plates come with the side of the day, no choice, and on that day it was mashed plantain. As soon as it arrived I noticed it was mixed with a thick white mixture and the taste was completely bland. When we asked the waiter what it was, she went into the kitchen and came back to say it was heavy cream. Why anyone would mix plantain with heavy cream is beyond me and of course I did not eat the side.

We saw a lot of tables just having drinks and some appetizers so possibly this establishment is focusing on catering more to that public. But as a sit down restaurant with good food, I believe it has failed.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Almost #1 in Mayagüez”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I’m not quite ready to call it the #1 restaurant in Mayagüez, but it could be and is certainly among the best currently open. Good stuff: very friendly and attentive staff; very good food (“Cocoa Pork” highly recommended, although it should be renamed pork loin mole); outside seating with a stunning view of the ocean (be there for sunset!). Things that could push it to true excellence: avoid using floodlights to illuminate the otherwise lovely outside terrace; add more variety to the wine list, namely the by-the-glass whites; have the “daily specials” on a sheet of paper instead of having the waitress repeat it over and over to each person; and try to serve everyone at the same time. I will definitely return, although only if I can sit outside by the sea. The inside was decorated in a trendy fashion, but it was way too loud.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Johnny97, Owner at Uva Playa Beach Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 8, 2015
Hi, I am happy to hear that your visit was a positive one, mean while we are not happy with the 4 stars we received, we will be working harder to get the 5 stars that we want and if you can tell us how we felt, we will really appreciate it, here at Uva Playa we work hard to give the best service combined with good food and a comfortable ambience, thank you very much for your visit and I hope we see you again, soon.

By the way, I would love to know wish one is the #1 in Mayaguez to go visit.

Hola, me alegra saber que fue una experiencia positiva, sin embargo no estamos complacidos con las 4 estrellas que nos dio, por lo que estaremos trabajando mas fuerte para obtener las 5 estrellas que queremos, aquí en Uva Playa trabajamos para dar el mejor de los servicios combinado con un buen ambiente y excelente comida, si nos pudiera decir en que fallamos estaríamos muy agradecidos, muchas gracias por su visita y esperamos nos visiten nuevamente.

Por cierto, me gustaria saber cual es para usted el restaurante #1 en Mayaguez para visitarlo.

John
Uva Playa owner
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“The best in Mayaguez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Tonight was the first time I've been to Uva Playa and it definitely won't be the last! The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic. There's a beautiful indoor seating area, bar, and an outdoor area that lies just on the beach so you can hear the waves. The latter is where my beau and I sat and it was so peaceful.
We both ordered water and were given two soups on the house made of chicken and mixed vegetables given in these adorable teacups. It was absolutely delicious and savory, a good start to the meal.
My beau ordered a seared salmon while I ordered the mahi-mahi. Both were absolutely amazing and perfectly portioned. They sat on a bed of vegetables, cooked but still slightly raw, which I very much enjoyed. And both came with a side, and both of us chose mashed potatoes, which were absolutely divine. We were able to procure the recipe from the sous chef after the meal.
And to top it off, we ended our meal with a red velvet tres leches cake, a sweet and creamy desert that combines a traditional red velvet cake with the Spanish tres leches cake.
I couldn't recommend this restaurant more, and for only being in operation for under half a year, they're doing fantastic. We will definitely visit again!

• Visited January 2014