“Not a BIG deal.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Mayaguez
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
“Not a BIG deal.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

The only attraction of this place is the pool. They claim it's the biggest pool in the Caribbean and I sincerely felt cheated somehow. It may be the biggest scattered pools but not a single one. In terms of service is what you'd expect on a puertorican hotel, so for those who don't know, it's not a very good one. The bartender makes you feel you owe him a favor for every drink you ask for. I didn't bother to visit the restaurant with the exception of breakfast since it was included. At least the food was good but the waiter system if flawed. We had to wait quite a while to sign the bill since the waiter (which I don't blame her) had 2 sections or 3 to attend while the funny coffee guy was just walking around and joking with guests. It was a typical scene at a puertorican restaurant. Please don't get me wrong, there are good restaurants here but they are really scarce. Well to continue, the room was ok considering it was the cheapest in the hotel. No wifi since the repeater was blocked by a building but no biggie for me, can't say the same for business folks. Overall the cleanliness of the room was excelent that I must admit. The Casino is OK if you're into slot machines. Just don't expect someone to help you if the machine breaks down. (typical service issue). Some people might hate me for saying this me being local from Puerto Rico but hotels here have no sense of organization and focused service. Save your money and go to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Those who have gone there will know why I say this. Don't get me wrong, the Hotel is not bad, but it's definitely not worth the expensive rooms, I guess they still need to pay for that millionaire pool...

• Stayed June 2012

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ponce, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The pool is the best part of this hotel. You have lots of things to do at the pool, you can use the jacuzzis or the kiddie pool, you can also use the riverpool, etc. The bad part of the hotel experience is the rooms. I didnt like it that much, but still got the job done. People also weren't that friendly. The first day I went to the breakfast, the servers wanted to put me and my family (two small kids and my husband) in a corner tablet that fits only two people. I asked her to put us in a four people table she got mad and said that more people were coming and she needed the tables. When she realized that we coudn't fit in that small little table with only two chairs then she moved us. Stayed in June 2012.

Room Tip: Prices at this hotel for eating and drinking are very good!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Wonderful stay here, beautiful property ! We has a perfect room with patio, and glorious time on the balcony dining cocktail area, wonderful stay .

Room Tip: Lower annex building, older area
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed here for business May 2012. Don't believe the room rate you are quoted - add another $20-30 to that because they tack on a maid fee, a bellhop fee, resort fee, parking fee, and that's before the tax. Bring a sweatshirt to wear in your room - even with the AC turned off, the temperature in my room never got above 62 - I froze. The wireless is free on the business floor, but it's as slow as dial-up, so don't expect to get much done. The electrical outlet at the desk was not working, the bathroom is tiny with almost no counter space, the linens were stained (a black make-up smear and a long hair on the pillow of the first bed, plus yellow stains on the sheet and dark stains on the under-side of the bedspread.) The food was very good - had room service dinner. The vending machine (soda) did not work the entire length of my stay. You can see the bay across the highway a bit. Would not recommend this hotel if you have a choice, although it is convenient to the university.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My wife and I went to this hotel (our fourth time) with our oldest granddaughter for only one night to surprise our youngest daughter and granddaughter who were staying here for a 4 day vacation. We were assigned room 518 with a view towards the parking lot. But who cares? The main attractions of this hotel are the pools that include a "river pool" and a "kiddie pool". These are well kept. But food at the pool bar is expensive.
Since my sense of smell is not very good, I did not notice at first, that the room smelled of mildew. This room has glass windows that do not open and does not have a balcony. Rooms on this side of the hotel do not have balconies so it is impossible to "air out" the room. I checked-in while my wife and granddaughter were in the pool (they let me check-in at 1:00 pm instead of the usual 3:00 pm) and after putting away our stuff went to the pool. Later, when my wife went into the room she noticed the smell but we decided not to change rooms so we did not have the hassle of changing our stuff to another room. Bad mistake. I spent the night with a runny nose and my allergy was acting up.
At night we had dinner at the local Applebee's which was very nice and more economical than eating at the hotel's El Castillo Restaurant.
I say it's declining because on previous occasions the rooms we had smelled fresh and everything was very clean. In this room (518) the bed spreads were stained with what seemed like chewing gum. Also, the wool (?) blankets had little holes in them. The curtains covering the glass windows did not close properly and early morning sunshine woke us up way too early.
For our breakfast we did not go to the hotel's restaurant but went to the local El Meson sandwich shop at a nearby shopping mall. We had very good breakfast for a fraction of what it would cost us at the hotel.
In all, we found the hotel average and it is a pity because the pools are very good but the room we had was way below average.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the parking lot. They do not have balconies.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MAYAGUEZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My ex husband and I used to stay in this hotel and every time we visited Puerto Rico used to go almost every day to their restaurant "El Castillo Restaurant". I was born and raised in Mayaguez (now live permanently) and I do not know what happened with this restaurant !!! Yesterday, (Good Friday) my cousin's family and I decided to go to "El Castillo Restaurant" but the service and food was the worst experience you can have. First of all the person who is in charge to open the door and I guest "host" did not greet us. Then, the waiter decided where we are going to sit, he did not welcome us or asked us where we wanted to sit. So, when I told him where we prefer to sit (near the window) he made a comment about is going to be far from the buffet bar !!! ??? The incredible thing was that only a couple was eating there, and the entirely restaurant was empty (1:05 PM) with dead flowers arrangement. No wonder !!! When the waiter asked us what we want to drink (I told him I want a bottle of "Perrier" with lemon inside) and I could not believe when he suggested us to get a big bottle of water and forget to order a "Perrier", because for him that was a much better choice ! ??? When he came to get the used plates from our table (and believe me, took forever to come), he did not ask if he may removed them, so he started inmediately crossing his arms in between us while we were eating, to pick up the dirty plates ! My cousin and I were talking and this waiter decided to be part of our conversation, so he started to make comments. One of his comments was that if my cousin's son did not study hard enough, he will see him soon washing dishes in that restaurant kitchen ! As soon as another customer came with his daughter, this waiter decided to ignore us and when I asked for the check, I was ignored and had to get up to the front desk, because he was again to busy getting in the conversation with this other customer. My cousin's wife want some coffee and we were waiting 4ever for him to come to the table, while they had in the kitchen three more waiters, talking with a waitress and of course no manager around ! At that point, I got up and decided to pay my bill and forget about that "as..ole" !
What is wrong with the people who is suppose to train the employees at this hotel and where is the manager ? What is going on inside the kitchen, while the customers are waiting and waiting for service? Two out of three plates were greasy/filthy. And ... waht a small choice in the buffet bar, so so taste of the food (except for the flan that was good.)
Definitely, is not now the nice restaurant used to be 2 years ago and Never Again I'll spend my money there !!! OFFENSIVE, D' WORST RESTAURANT IN PUERTO RICO, DOWN TO HILL !!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

Amazing place to spend with family.... From the second I walked in to check in I was well received and greeted by Lorena.... She found my reservation quickly oriented me well and clearly....The pool is phenomenal!!! The restaurant delicious... I recommend this resort!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Mayaguez Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!