“Bueno, Bonito y Barato (Good, Pretty and Cheap)” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Colonial
14 S Iglesia Street, Mayaguez 00681, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mayaguez
Amarillo, Texas
“Bueno, Bonito y Barato (Good, Pretty and Cheap)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hotel Colonial used to be many moons ago a convent. As such the rooms are compact and spartan, but clean and efficient. Prices are as low as $57.00 per night, if you book a few days in advance. That is what I paid for my 1 person room and stayed 2 nights.

The building layout is as it was in 1920, but maintained in very nice pastel colors. It is smack in the middle of the town of Mayaguez, within a few steps from the historical Plaza, Mayaguez Cathedral, City Hall and downtown shopping.

The hotel has gated parking for several cars in the hotel's patio with a wrought iron gate, operated by the front desk, so your car will be safe during your stay.

Hotel Colonial has a free continental breakfast from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM if you are in a hurry.

The room I had was clean with the sink next to the bed, instead of in the bathroom, funky but it worked. The AC was a wall unit that was small, but sufficient to cool the room quickly. An extra with this kind of unit is that you can have the fan to run continuously, and that helps to keep outside noise down somewhat.

I'm 6'2" and the bed was so small that my feet hung on the end. I had to sleep at a 45 degree angle. So if you are as tall, you may think about this.

The room faced the front street and at 7:00 AM the traffic noise, truck horns and other vehicular movements made it difficult to stay sleeping past 7 am if you are a light sleeper.

This is a low cost alternative to the $100+ per night accommodations in Mayaguez, so don't expect chain hotel facilities. There is no pool or room service.

The staff is friendly, helpful, the rooms and hotel are clean, in a safe neighborhood with free parking and continental breakfast. In my book that makes the Hotel Colonial a good choice for business traveler and budget conscious travelers, and the best hotel bargain in Mayaguez.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in late, ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Juncos, Puerto Rico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Muy limpio y bien ubicado. El personal es muy amable y diligente. Perfecto para pasar la noche.
Barato y hay seguridad.
Very clean and well located. The staff is very friendly and diligent. Perfect for overnight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

Very good for the price (we paid $75 per room). Great location if you want to be in the city, just a block from the plaza. Old hotel, so it looks a bit tired but at least it's clean. Road noise was loud, I'd ask for a room that doesn't face the road next time. It took several minutes of running the shower until hot water came, but it did. We had rooms 2 and 4, the latter had a much better looking bathroom with newer tile, the other one needed updating ASAP. Overall satisfied, great value if all you need is a bed for the night.

• Stayed December 2011
heribertorosas, Owner at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
After viewing your review I proceeded to add two new solar water heaters and room number two's bathroom was completely remodeled. Thanks a lot for your review. Heriberto Rosas
WPB florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Everything I read in previous reviews is true. I stayed in a single room 2 nights for $53 per night. This was probably the smallest hotel room I've ever had. It is an old building, with some modest upgrades. The WIFI worked good sometimes, other times no. There was a TV but don't think I used it. My room was on street side and was noisy, but the a/c unit muffled the street noise okay when left in the "low cool" position. No elevator, very small breakfast provided in the small breakfast room. Nice parking lot in the rear, but I didn't use it, they have security camera on the street in front also. Everyone super nice at the hotel. The town is very cute. Everyone should stay a few days at the Colonial, for a change.

Room Tip: Get a non-streetside room if possible.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your input. We have included more items to the continental breakfast menu. It includes white and integral bread, croisants, cookies, dry cereals, butter, jellies, coffee, orange juice, milk and chocolate milk. I changed our internet provider so our guests can have a better free WiFi service. Thanks again.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We paid $70 for a double room. Nothing particuarly exciting about it, but was the best value for money anywhere near (we were driving from Ponce). Room was clean and had cable tv, also had a fridge.

Approx 5-6 car parking spaces round back, so felt safe leaving the car there.

Room Tip: Recommend the bakery round the corner, very tasty and great value.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel was reccomended to me by a co-worker. I was only staying for one night and i am not a very demanding person and for the price I paid which was about 70$ plus taxes, I did not expect much. I arrived during the night and the front desk clerk was really nice, his name started with an A, I am soo bad with names!. But only one problem, I had booked two rooms (i went with my boyfriend and my sister with her husband) and neither of them had hot water. I was a little bit mad since that is the least you should expect from a hotel, it sucks showering with cold water during the night! I went to the front desk and told him about our problem and he said that we should not worry, that when we arrive from going out the water would be boiling.... To my surprise, when I decided to take a shower the next day during the morning, we still did not have any hot water. At that moment I was very pissed and at the moment of ckeck out the guy that was in the front desk, which is an elder man with glasses, I explained to him the situation and asked him if there was anything we could do, he just said no and was very rude, and was talking to me as if I was lying, I felt really bad and he groaned like if he was saying "oh whatever". Bad experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sorry you had this bad experience. Since that we had upgraded with additional solar water heaters and replaced the heaters element which we found out where not working during your stay. Again, sorry for your dissapointed experience. Heriberto Rosas
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I learned of this hotel from Tripadvisor. It was exactly what I had read: inexpensive simple lodging in a convenient location in town. My room was like a dormitory room (small) with a bathroom that included a shower. The price was less than $60 and I only needed one night. It was a place to go to sleep and it was just fine. The breakfast in the morning was reasonable for the price: coffee, cereal, some kind of cookie (or bisquit?), toast. Enough to get you going. And as recommended, I tried the nearby bakery mentioned in someone else's review and that was a nice treat.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Colonial? Share your experiences!