“Before the cruise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Consulat, Ascend Collection Hotel

You added Le Consulat, Ascend Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Le Consulat, Ascend Collection Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1149 Magdalena Ave Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Before the cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very nice and resonable for a day or two. Close to the beach. GREAT mexican place to eat one block away. Best margaritas we've had in a long time and great food. hotel was generally clean. very accomodating and pleasant staff. Super little pool out back with 10 foot walls and excellent privacy/security. Our rooms had little patios and lounge chairs. Nothing different to report from other reviews other than you get what you make of this. We liked it and will be back.

Room Tip: We had two rooms at the end of the hall on the first floor that had windows facing the little pool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Right in the heart of Condado. Service was excellent. Price great too!! Very little time is actually spent in the room in Condado, so this place was ideal. I would stay there again!! Walgreens and Starbucks very close also.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Well 1st off the front desk attendant Johnathan was very helpful and friendly (by far the easiest one to ask questions about tourist attractions etc). He recommended restaurants nearby the hotel as well as gave us accurate directions to get to them. Any time we needed something he was eager to lend a hand (hard to find these days). The pool was nice although id prefer it be a bit warmer. The room door got stuck opening but that was most likely due to the humidity, as for the room itself the bed was comfortable and surfaces were kept pretty clean. Over all decent hotel considering the location (do not walk the beaches alone at night because the cops , despite the number of them, do not do their jobs) I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Please do not stay at this hotel unless you dont mind having your items stolen. There is this guy named jonathan that works at this hotel from 3pm to 11pm. He sits at th front desk and once you leave the hotel, he will enter your room and go through your personal belongings. My friends and i experienced this first hand.
Mostly eldely guest, nice pool in the back
The hotel rooms smell ok but can be better. Other staff are nice

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a back patio if you smoke
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

4 adults stayed 1 night pre-cruise - we had a late arrival and the young man working the desk was very nice & helpful - we stayed in the room requested - 2 queen beds, small and adequate - nothing fancy, but we weren't expecting that - Walgren's short walking distance to pick up some water & wine for our cruise. It is definitely a 2 star hotel - could be kept a little cleaner and with some updates in furniture etc - could be nice for a few days. It's definitely for a budget crowd which we were that night - any other hotel would have charged us over $300 for 1 night with 4 people - Le Consulat did not charge extra for the 4th person so for $150.00 for the night, we were pleased. Be warned that we did not have any hot water for our 4 showers - that was frustrating as we took them at night/and 2 in the morning and nothing changed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Housekeeping need to be improved that's the reason for a 4, Otherwise, this one should be a 5 when using Choice hotel points to stay for free. Hotel prices are in general expensive in San Juan, so use points would be a great way to save money. Hotel Location is good not too far away from Condado Beach. They gave us a room with 2 queen beds and pretty modern amenities but we felt the housekeeping was subpar for sure. San Juan's buses were not reliable so we used taxi many times. You can always share taxi ride with people waiting at the bus stop since most of their taxicabs were like big vans that can take more than 8 people and the price is negotiable. This hotel doesn't offer complimentary breakfast like other choice hotel does. There's a small swimming pool on the back of the hotel that we didn't use since it's really small. There's a Walgreen 2 blocks away with good prices. In general, nice cozy hotel perfect for using points.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked the hotel for myself alone for 13 nights. Stayed in 3 different rooms. The first one didn't have a dresser for my clothes (13 days!) was moved the same day to one that did. All the rooms had these lamps so tiny couldn't operate until I removed the shades. Had no cell reception in any of the rooms & the floors were always dirty. Once had to ask the cleaning lady to sweep.
That was the bad, now the good: once I had the security code my Macbook air worked fine, the rooms saved for floors were OK. Bathrooms were clean, hot water hot, enough towels always, used the small pool twice & had it all to myself. You could not do better on location.
Now the incredibly good: On my 4th night I awoke gasping for air & had to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. The clerk, Jose , was incredibly helpful & efficient with the ambulance &
the paramedics. About an hour later the manager of the hotel showed up in my hospital room to see how I was doing. Since I had been admitted, he offered to check me out and to store my things in the hotel or bring them to me in the hospital I opted for the latter. An hour later he was back with my luggage. He had also called Amex to inform them of my condition so I could not be held responsible for the hotel or any other fees. He also assured me of room in his hotel if after the hospital I decided to continue my vacations. I did returned to the hotel & was for the

rest of my stay treated like family. I can't remember all the names so I will not mention any; But all of these people were to me amazing human beings

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo