“Was expecting more” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 684 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pikayo is the flagship restaurant for Chef Wilo Benet. The restaurant has set standards and raised the level of luxury in fine dining in Puerto Rico. Pikayo combines exquisite taste with exclusive ambiance and unique creativity in its cuisine.Avant-garde and intrepid are two words that can be used to describe Chef Wilo Benet’s cuisine. Benet has redefined Puerto Rican cuisine and in the process has put the Island’s enchanting flavors on display for the whole world to admire.Pikayo uses the best ingredients from both sea and land. Enjoy favorites such as Maine Diver Scallops and Petit Duck Magaret.Chef Wilo and Pikayo have been featured on television and in many publications. Recently, Chef Wilo appeared as a guest judge on Bravo’s popular show, Top Chef. He followed up that experience by competing alongside other well-known chefs on Top Chef: Masters. Pikayo has also hosted Andrew Zimmern and his television show from the Travel Channel.
Southampton, New York
“Was expecting more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The restaurant was well recommended and it was fine, but it was a bit of a let down after Marmalade. A little too staid and the food was good, but not terribly interesting or inventive.

Visited June 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Jen,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. While I'm glad you enjoyed your meal, I'm disheartened to hear you didn't find it interesting or inventive. Rather than simply just Puerto Rican cuisine, our menu is a Nu Global Mix. We strive to offer our guests creative, minimal presentations,, special and memorable dishes always focusing on quality ingredients.

Massachusetts, United States
“Inventive, Creative, Incredibly Amazing Dining!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just returned from our family vacation to Puerto Rico, and wanted to share our best dining experience there without the kids for our adult night out. The restaurant is located in the Condado Plaza Hotel, and has a very chic feel as you enter. The artwork, lighting and overall surroundings are elegant and stylish without being too over the top.

We had a chef's tasting menu that was really creative, with new flavors and elegant presentations. The service was very well paced, without feeling rushed. Our meal consisted of a glass of champagne to start, followed by a caipiriha and mojito cocktail, both very well made.

Chef Wilo Benet has outdone himself with his food! Everything was excellent, and too many courses too mention, but the true standouts for us were the scallops with raisin caper emulsion, the foie gras with ripe plantains & truffle honey, truly out of this world flavors and textures. The tuna sashimi on top of Pegao with chipolte aioli...the best! We finished our meal with a white cheese souffle with guava sauce that was light and flavorful, the perfect finish to an unbelievable meal!

Wilo & Carlos, you have a wonderful restaurant, complimented by great food and a great staff. We look forward to our next trip to PR, so we can come and dine with you again. Thanks for all you do!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you Gordon! I'm honored to know you thought your meal was creative and elegantly presented. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their exceptional service as well. It was a pleasure cooking for you, and I look forward to your next trip to San Juan as well.

Charlotte, NC
“World Class Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The food at Pikayo is so good, I tried items on the menu I would normally not order anywhere else. This is an absolute must...

Visited August 2013
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thanks for recommending us! Which dishes did you try? Any favorites? It was a pleasure cooking for you, and I hope you get a chance to dine with us again soon.

Ozone Park, New York
“AMAZING!!!! If you are in San Juan You must eat here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just got back from a family vacation in Puerto Rico. We ate here last night. We stayed at the Condado Plaza Hotel(also an amazing hotel) and I had seen on Television the famous chef Wilo Bennet and heard about his wonderful restaurant. We met some friends here and decided to have an adult night out for dinner and drinks. I told my husbands friends all the great reviews I had read about this place. So we were all excited to try it out. Let me tell you we were not disappointed. In fact we couldn't stop saying how delicious it was the whole time we ate. Amazing does not even begin to explain this place! We had 4 appetizers. The alcappurias, pulpo en escabeche, penne with crab and tuna sushi on crunchy rice or "pegao". I have never had such soft octopus in my life it literally melted in your mouth. For our entrees we had American sea bass, duck, and Lobster. It was all cooked to perfection. Honestly I wish I could of sampled everything on the menu. Dessert was pre order at the beginning of the meal it was chocolate soufflé with a vanilla sauce and cheese soufflé with a guava sauce. Which is a fun play on white cheese and guava paste us Puerto Ricans love so much. It came out hot and steamy. The waiter made a hole in the middle of the soufflés and poured the sauces in the middle. Absolute heaven on earth. The service was superb and the waiters were very knowledgeable of the menu.
It was fine dining at it's best. A little pricey but so worth it I would of paid double!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm honored to know you had such a wonderful meal with us. It was sincerely a pleasure cooking for you. Of all the dishes you tried, which was your favorite?

Hope you get a chance to visit San Juan again soon!

Take care,
Chef Wilo, Owner
“Nice ambience but disappointed in food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Came here with expectation of art and nice ansamble of food, but didn't find anything other than wine from Spain with chef's name that I really liked.. First we were served Risotto with mushrooms (warm & nice flavor, but missing accent), and spicy octopus ( was nice, but too salty). Then came the duck ( which was prepared well, but I wish was done over some potatoes maybe or thin crust of bread) and Foie de gras (not bad, well cooked but didnt crave to order that dish for myself). There was also tomato salad with not tasty blue cheese ( I was asking for heirloom tomatoes so I sent it back & since they said no heirloom was available got some asparagus salad with looked like bunch of greens with yakki sauce.. didnt touch, but it stayed on my bill which is fine.. Well Im hard to please but i rarely not find one dish in perfection... The raspberry chocolate desert was good.. but maybe after the whole food disappointment still not impressed.. Try "Flying fish" in Freeport Bahamas for unreal art of food that not even looks unbelievable but shocking in variety of unusual & PLEASANT taste.. but I think tomorrow I'm not coming back to Pikayo & will try smth else in Puerto Rico..

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Wilo B, Owner at Pikayo, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Aliyaaah,

Considering you had such high expectations, I'm disheartened to hear you left feeling disappointed. Our team of chefs and I thoughtfully create our dishes using the best ingredients available. We are all about high quality ingredients and consistent simple presentations, a formula that has proven effective for 23 years. What really surprised me was the use of the word "yakki", since I can't imagine anything at all coming out of our kitchen fulfilling that description. If you decide to give us another chance, please feel free to inform your server of specifications so we can create dishes more tailored to your preferences. Always here to serve.