“Very expensive but kitchen and wait staff are very professional and courteous. The food was very good, if not superb.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
317 Fortaleza Street, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico
+1 787-724-3969
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 628 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, International, Fusion, Organic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: Marmalade does not accommodate children under seven years old. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Nice ambiance, attentive service (but not imposing) and great timing of course presentation. The chef runs his shop tighly without sacrificing liesure and relaxation. Creative menu too. I'd return with my family inspite of the expense.

Visited June 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I have dined around the world (including such restaurants as LaGrenouille in New York and Maxime's in Paris). This is truly the most memorable experience and best food we have ever tasted. The staff was warm and friendly, and the ambiance was perfect. The popcorn shrimp and white bean soup are everything and more that others have written about. A must try. I had the sea bass and my wife had the beef tenderloin. Both were amazing, as were our desserts. The wine pairings were perfect. Peter, the owner, is extremely personable and our dining experience was the best!

“The Best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is by far the best restaurant I have visited so far. Service and food was excellent. Will be back.

Roswell, Georgia
“Wonderful experience, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Marmalade was truly a wonderful dining experience. Peter is not only a great chef but also very nice person - he made sure to deliver food to every table and had a chat with everyone!

We ordered a 5 course with wine paring. I have to say that you must order the wine paring. Some wines were absolutely amazing besides completing the dish! I don't drink white wine and our waiter was able to pare everything with red absolutely perfectly!

So why 4 and not 5 stars?

Appetizers - yellow tail poke and foie gras - were outstanding! Popcorn shrimp could be great but they were a little too salty for my taste . However that popcorn shrimp and wine paring was absolutely insane (I had red wine paring) - stunning combination!

Now let me tell you about the white bean soup that you get if you order 4, 5 or 6 course meals - it's to die for. Finished with truffle oil - that soup alone was worth the trip to San Juan. Yeah. That good!

So after two appetizers and amazing soup with some outstanding wine parings we were expecting stunning entrees. And they were good. They were exactly what they were supposed to be but I wasn't blown away. In fact I felt that my beef tenderloin was just ok. It was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor. My husband also wasn't blown away by the halibut cheeks.

Desert was delicious - I had creme Crème brûlée and I don't remember what my husband had..

So 4 stars is because I feel that when you walk out with almost $400 bill after tip for two - the main course (the star of a show) - should be stunning. But appetizers, waiter, amazing wine paring, coconut mojito (yum!!!!) - saved the day. And also - Peter - his personality - he is really a great chef to talk to!

We will be back and try other entrees this time! :)

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Massapequa, New York
“Fantastic meal topped by Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read some reviews for this restaurant while researching for a place to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. We both have dietary restrictions (gluten, dairy and soy free) and seeing the reviews and the farm/ocean to table friendly menu had us excited to the possibilities. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and our waiter, Craig. Our table was covered in Rose petals, very romantic. Craig immediately said he was aware of our dietary restriction and ensured us we would still have a fantastic dinner and celebration. We ordered the 4 course dinner and chose different dishes in order to sample the menu. The cerviche, the Kale Salad, Califlower mash or quinoa stuffed poblano were all fantastic. The sea bass was amazing. Given our dietary restrictions, desserts are usually not an option, other than berries/fruit. Well, Craig brought out a "No No Cake" made with quinoa, tapioca flower, blueberries and coconut sugar, all ingredients we can eat. It was to die for. An amazing meal fantastically paired with a wine selection and fabulous service. We live in the NYC area and are lucky to have some of the finest restaurants at our doorstep, many of which we have had the opportunity to enjoy. Marmalade is up there with the best of them and both my wife and I walked out of the restaurant saying it was the best meal and service combination we have ever experienced, ever. If you dont go experience Marmalade while you are in San Juan you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime.