“Wonderful experience, but” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 578 restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, International, Fusion, Organic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: Marmalade does not accommodate children under seven years old. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Roswell, Georgia
“Wonderful experience, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Marmalade was truly a wonderful dining experience. Peter is not only a great chef but also very nice person - he made sure to deliver food to every table and had a chat with everyone!

We ordered a 5 course with wine paring. I have to say that you must order the wine paring. Some wines were absolutely amazing besides completing the dish! I don't drink white wine and our waiter was able to pare everything with red absolutely perfectly!

So why 4 and not 5 stars?

Appetizers - yellow tail poke and foie gras - were outstanding! Popcorn shrimp could be great but they were a little too salty for my taste . However that popcorn shrimp and wine paring was absolutely insane (I had red wine paring) - stunning combination!

Now let me tell you about the white bean soup that you get if you order 4, 5 or 6 course meals - it's to die for. Finished with truffle oil - that soup alone was worth the trip to San Juan. Yeah. That good!

So after two appetizers and amazing soup with some outstanding wine parings we were expecting stunning entrees. And they were good. They were exactly what they were supposed to be but I wasn't blown away. In fact I felt that my beef tenderloin was just ok. It was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor. My husband also wasn't blown away by the halibut cheeks.

Desert was delicious - I had creme Crème brûlée and I don't remember what my husband had..

So 4 stars is because I feel that when you walk out with almost $400 bill after tip for two - the main course (the star of a show) - should be stunning. But appetizers, waiter, amazing wine paring, coconut mojito (yum!!!!) - saved the day. And also - Peter - his personality - he is really a great chef to talk to!

We will be back and try other entrees this time! :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Massapequa, New York
“Fantastic meal topped by Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read some reviews for this restaurant while researching for a place to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. We both have dietary restrictions (gluten, dairy and soy free) and seeing the reviews and the farm/ocean to table friendly menu had us excited to the possibilities. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and our waiter, Craig. Our table was covered in Rose petals, very romantic. Craig immediately said he was aware of our dietary restriction and ensured us we would still have a fantastic dinner and celebration. We ordered the 4 course dinner and chose different dishes in order to sample the menu. The cerviche, the Kale Salad, Califlower mash or quinoa stuffed poblano were all fantastic. The sea bass was amazing. Given our dietary restrictions, desserts are usually not an option, other than berries/fruit. Well, Craig brought out a "No No Cake" made with quinoa, tapioca flower, blueberries and coconut sugar, all ingredients we can eat. It was to die for. An amazing meal fantastically paired with a wine selection and fabulous service. We live in the NYC area and are lucky to have some of the finest restaurants at our doorstep, many of which we have had the opportunity to enjoy. Marmalade is up there with the best of them and both my wife and I walked out of the restaurant saying it was the best meal and service combination we have ever experienced, ever. If you dont go experience Marmalade while you are in San Juan you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lawrence, Kansas
“Disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We decided to go to Marmalade after reading all the reviews and the food was quite good except for the dessert. We ordered the butterscotch cake and it had been microwaved so much that the ice cream totally melted shortly after being served and we had to blow on our bites or our mouths would have been burned.

That said, we would have enjoyed the meal and ambience except for the attitude of our server. I was with my husband, 18 year old daughter and her friend. We are not big eaters so while the tasting menu options looked great, we would not have eaten all the food. Once our waitress realized we were not going to order big, she adopted a very haughty and condescending attitude. At least that is the reason we assumed we were given that treatment. The table next to us ordered both the dinner and wine tasting option and the chef came out and was most attentive. We didn't get a visit by the chef at all even though we were right next door.

We have travelled many places and enjoy fine dining as well as hole in the wall dining. In either case, a warm friendly service makes all the difference.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
TopchefPuertoRico, Owner at Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Firstfam Mom,
Please except my apologies for not being able to spend substantial time at your table, obviously as you witnessed during your dinner I do my best to cook and serve nearly 700 different plates of food in a few short hours. I make a genuine effort to speak to all of our guests regardless of what or how much they order. Naturally by ordering only a single course you will only experience a fraction of the experience we try to offer in a much shorter time. For you to feel and acknowledge the lack of attention by our service team just because you didn't order any food is unacceptable on our part. I will take the time to revisit your service disappointment constructively with the team later tonight. I have made a note in your profile for your next visit to make sure I present the menu in person myself.

As for the bread pudding, it is oven baked to order in the ceramic bowl its presented in, hence the hot plate. I intentionally enjoy the melting rum-brazilian nut ice cream atop the textured dessert. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it the way we present to all of our guests. Our foods are natural and minimally cooked to preserve their alkalinity and integrity, we would never even own a microwave.....I'm sure you share the same sentiment.
warm regards,
Chef Peter
Elmwood Park, Illinois
“Great food and great service- you must try it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Best food we've ever had. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and had great suggestions. We had the 4 course meal but actually became 5 because we were given the white bean soup (we sounded like it wouldn't be good but we were wrong-it was very flavorful) for free. Everything was well balanced. We came in in casual clothes (shorts and tank top from walking in Old San Juan) and at first out of place in the nicely and trendy decorated place but everyone was friendly. Definitely worth the money and would recommend to everyone.

Visited July 2013
St. Croix, USVI
“The best restaurant in San Juan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I have eaten at this restaurant twice now and each time the food has been amazing! We have told all of our friends about Marmalade. If you are looking for a romantic location with incredible food, you must eat here. It will not disappoint.

Visited July 2013