“Flavorfull Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 627 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: At Dragonfly's, our candlelit atmosphere is calming and provides for intimate spaces within the restaurant. Our romantic restaurant serves plenty of vegetarian and meat dishes and has two dining areas, a lounge, and two bars. We also offer our customers a communal noodle bar. Dragonfly's sexy, ruby red, and gold interior is transporting and designed to resemble an old opium den in tropical Asia.
San juan
“Flavorfull Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Special thanks to chef Abel Mendoza for those "guapos platos" and the bartender Ricky for my new favorite Cucumber Cutini providing a wonderful dining experience. Everything from the service to the quality of the dishes, especially the churrasco and duck was excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
I'm glad to hear that everything from the guapos platos to the Cucumber Tini was a hit for you, Verroniq. We hope to see you again soon!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“OMG! I had to run home and write this review!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I have known Dragonfly since it was founded because I have lived in Old San Juan way before that. Today's dining experience there was so ghastly, that I had to sit down to write this review immediately.
I went to Dragonfly for dinner with my son and his best friend. He suggested we go there since our last visit in January of this year had been very nice.
When I got there I was VERY HUNGRY, so when I tell you that food was mediocre to bad, it actually had to be very bad. (We have a saying that states that the best sauce for food is hunger).
We asked for three appetizers - only two arrived. When we asked the waitress, she said it had been the kitchen's mistake.
While the food arrived, I saw two employees loudly having an argument -- IN FRONT OF THE CLIENTELE! Hello??!???!?!? How unprofessional does that get? They definitely got the bad vive going around the place.
We ordered our food. One of the appetizers that did arrive --The tuna rolls-- was GROSS TO THE MAX!- the rice was so mushy it stuck around the tuna as if it were a paste -- the texture of the rice was simply disgusting. And the tuna was bland and warm, giving me such a bad feeling that I left 3 out of the 6 pieces they serve.
The only good appetizer was the calamari.
Then the brought out ONE of THREE entrees. I told the server that we were missing two ENTREES and he replied that the food came out as it was being prepared. I can understand that for appetizers, but not for entrees. In fact, it had never happened to me that the entrees came "as they came out of the kitchen."
ADDING INSULT TO INJURY, my son's entree (pulled pernil lettuce wraps) was so nasty that in spite of its pricey ticket, he could not have more than two bites. The pernil was cold, greasy and bland. It cannot get worse than that.
The two Lo Meins we ordered were not tasty either. The chicken lo mein was particularly dry, as if they had run out of sauce while mixing it.
If you think this was a nightmare, sit tight. There was a 15-person table occupied by very LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS WOMEN that should not be left to go out on their own because they do not know how to behave. Since the place has terrible acoustics, we found ourselves looking at each other and not even attempting to speak because the screeching group made sure we could not even listen to or own thoughts. The restaurant did not do anything to quiet them down, ruining the experience for all of us there.
I think the waitress noticed we were very dissatisfied with the experience and tried to make up for it by giving us a complimentary chocolate lava dessert. The dessert was actually quite good but the food was so bad that I did not even feel tempted to take home the substantial portions left.
I am so sorry to conclude I will not be caught dead in this restaurant ever again!I am actually very sorry for this, since it USED TO BE one of the consistently good restaurants whose menu and quality never changed.
Tonight the experience was not only a HUGE waste of money, but also a disappointing dining experience in restaurant that once was scrumptious.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
As you can imagine, my team and I are compleately devastated to hear about your recent visit. As a long-time guest, you must know this is not how I operate my business, this is extreamley rare and i will investigate every detail of your visit. Still I sincerely apologize the way we made you and your son feel,you not only didn't enjoy your food, but had less than Extraordinary service. My team and I failed you by not asking you if you where happy with each sequence of your meal. Each dish should come out cooked to perfection, You can bet I'll be chatting with the team about the argument you mentioned.

As for our other guests, we love that our restaurant has a lively and fun atmosphere. I can assure you that we do have a policy in place if we think a guest is disrupting the restaurant, though. I'm sorry that we weren't on the same page in this matter.

I remember you when you lived in San Juan and I hope we haven't lost your trust forever -- I'd love another chance to serve you so you can see your feedback in action.Also I would very much enjoy extending an open invitation to a private tasting, for you and your son, from our new menu by our new Chef. It would be my pleasure to set the table for you. 787 306 6748.

San juan, pr
“Great food. Awesome server!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Our server, Roberto, had great recommendations. Everything he recommended from appetizers to desserts were spectacular. Every dish was presented beautifully and arrived quickly. Can't give dragonfly and Roberto enough credit. Awesome dining experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I'm so glad to hear that Roberto took such excellent care of your party! Thanks for taking moment to spread the word and let us know what we're doing right. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best,
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Interesting food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Have a pulled pork feast and a tasty tuna tartar. Its casual dinning with OK prices and an interesting menu. Worth a try.

Visited June 2014
Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Glad to hear that the pulled pork feast and tuna tartar was a hit for you, Gabriel. Thanks for sharing your recommendation -- we hope to see you again the next time you make it over to San Juan from Barbados.

Richmond, Virginia
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I used to frequent Dragonfly when I lived in OSJ 5 years ago. It's great to see that an old favorite has continued to be stellar. Service was great, food was exquisite & my cucumber martinis were sublime!!

Emilio F, Owner at Dragonfly, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
With so many people stopping by on trips, it's always great to hear from a regular. Thanks for taking a moment to let us know what we're doing right. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you head down from Virginia!