“Noyda is so helpful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 24 San Juan B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont
“Noyda is so helpful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We booked last minute, as our travel plans had changed due to weather- Noyda helped us understand travel times and options to and from the two San Juan airports, even before decided to book at Coqui. We were so glad we did! The room was clean and bed very comfortable, and the jacuzzi soothed our travel-worn muscles. She even upgraded us to El Cangrejo, which made us feel even more welcome. We'd planned on staying at Tres Palmas Inn, which we did on our return trip through San Juan, and preferred Coqui del Mar. The jacuzzi at Coqui is ample but feels intimate,and is not overly chlorinated (that's a good thing in my book:) Tres Palmes is right on the beach, but Coqui is one block off the beach and we could hear the coqui frogs better. I can't speak for the other rooms, but between #5 at Tres Palmes and El Cangrejo, Coqui definitely was preferable.

381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We went to Puerto Rico to volunteer at Save a Sato, a dog rescue shelter in the area, and they recommended Coquí del Mar to us. I agree with the review that said if you are looking for a five star hotel you should go elsewhere, but this is by no means a put down of Coquí del Mar. The rooms are super clean, the beach is a block away, and the management and the owner are friendly and go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. I have stayed in two different rooms and the beds were really comfortable. I've never stayed at a hotel where they were so genuinely interested in their guests. You don't find a place like this very often!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
tularosa, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed in the Cangrejo room and it was very comfortable. Noyda and Neal were very pleasant and the room was clean and neat. Nice and quiet at night with good access to old San Juan and the downtown by bus. Restaurants and grocery within walking distance and the beach is a block away.

Room Tip: The website describes the various rooms. From what we could tell, they are all nice but different s...
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at Coqui del Mar. Noyda and Neal are gracious and wonderful hosts. We were in La Concha which was comfortable. As many of the reviewers have pointed out, this is not a 5 star hotel so if it's luxury you're looking for, this is not the best choice. The accommodations are clean and beach towels, chairs and umbrellas are provided.The double shower was lovely. It takes a minute or two for the hot water to reach you but it's worth the little wait.

The outdoor hot tub is delightful as is the little garden. The local supermarket was within walking distance as were many of the restaurants and, best of all, the beach.

All Noyda's dining recommendations were spot on. It's hard to pick a favorite. Uvva is right on the beach but not too easy to get to by walking. Everything we had at the Garden was delicious but it's not as picturesque as Uvva. Both had excellent service. We also tried Inca Chicken, Little Italy, Che, Levi's and the Bistro. We got lost one morning and ended up finding Kasalta, a highly recommended bakery. It was a bit further than we would have walked if we hadn't gotten lost. Lunch was very good and reasonably priced. Not a bad meal anywhere.

There are a few loud dogs close by but other than one 3:00 a.m. barking session, they were quiet during sleeping times. All the other guests were very considerate - no noise late at night or early in the morning. We had interesting conversations with a girls' roller derby team and 2 couples from England.

If you're looking for a budget getaway, this is definitely it.

Room Tip: La Concha is upstairs and on the corner. There's less chance of noisy neighbors on both sides of...
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here a few months ago and have been meaning to write a review. I reserved El Coqui for 3 nights. The room was a bit smaller than anticipated and the toilet/shower combo is not ideal if you are a couple who likes privacy on the toilet. The toilet/shower door is literally an etched glass shower door making it impossible to keep odors within that space. Also, the steam from the shower makes the etched glass see through...this can be very entertaining actually :).
Unfortunately I only stayed 1 night in El Coqui because I have a bad back and felt the bed was too hard. Noyda was extremely helpful and brought me a comforter hoping it would create some softness but it was not enough. I e-mailed the owner (Rob) and even though I reserved the room for 3 nights, he did not charge any fee's when I asked if I could check out after the 1st night. While packing up, Noyda offered me to stay in El Cangrejo, she mentioned that a previous guest complained that the bed was too soft so they had placed a few boards under the mattress to stiffen it up. She removed the boards and offered me the room at no additional cost. I decided to accept and glad I did because I fell in-love with the entire environment in el Coqui del Mar. El Cangrejo has a beautiful large bathroom with one of those high tech showers that steams. I was able to also enjoy the property and jacuzzi outside. Previous reviews say that they heard a lot of dogs barking at night, I heard none all 3 nights. My stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this place. The location is out of the tourist area but I felt it was in a safe with plenty of places to park. The beach there was not ideal as I saw lots of rocks but not sure if I would have found a better location for swimming if I kept walking. I also was very impressed by Rob's interest in my "hard-bed" situation. He wrote me to tell me that he was going to invest in some foam bed toppers for guests who prefer a softer bed. I thought that was very considerate of him. Overall this was a great stay due to the hospitality, genuine interest and flexibility of the Rob and Noyda.

Room Tip: If you are a couple who likes privacy in the bathroom I would not suggest the economy room el coqui.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jarrettsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent the holidays in San Juan and had an amazing time at this guesthouse. We had no idea is was "high season" because this guesthouse is nestled in a quiet residential area, just 50 footsteps from the beach. The guesthouse is key-less (you get an access code when you make the reservation); the only key is for the access gate at the corner of the road, if you walk to the beach.
We stayed in the Cangrejo Room, which had a full kitchen with coffee maker and utensils and plates. Nyoda, the friendliest innkeeper I have met in years, even put one day's worth of coffee and filters, as well as two waters, in our room. (Gracias a Nyoda y a Dios, LOL). The bathroom has an ecoshower with full force water pressure. They supply beach towels and have a limited supply of umbrellas, chairs, etc., but we bought our own chairs at Walgreen's for $15 to avoid not getting one each day. (We donated these when we left, so think of us if you sit on orange and blue striped chairs).
We rented a car, but there are several restaurants within walking distance, and many nights we were the only tourists and got to meet a lot of locals. Our favorite restaurants in this area were The Garden, Uvvas, and Inka Chicken. It's a quick ride into Old San Juan--- I highly recommend Totem, Carli's Bistro, and Il Convento for dinners that are not on the main tourist strip.
Although I speak Spanish, my husband does not, and he found it relatively easy to get around without me having to translating.
This was our first visit, but we will stay here whenever we visit the San Juan area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Capped off the summer wonderfully here at Coqui. My boyfriend & I stayed in "El Cangrejo" which was a great size and had an impressive flat-screen TV and shower. The kitchen was ideal for making breakfast and the Isla Verde grocery store is within walking distance. Service was excellent , we were provided with beach towels and bikes. The jacuzzi was a relaxing way to end the night and there is also an outdoor shower to rinse off after the beach. Ocean Park beach is literally the next street over- popular spot for windsurfing. Various buses can take you out of Punta Las Marias (i.e. Old San Juan) The rest of the city is very accessible to restaurants and nightlife and a lot of information is given to you about visiting El Yunque or other sights in PR - just ask! Coqui is a great escape from the very touristy areas of San Juan, truly a place to remember.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coqui del Mar? Share your experiences!