“Nice Property, Good Location” 5 of 5 stars

La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1077 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Detroit, MI
“Nice Property, Good Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a very nice hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The location is very good and we choose this property because it was near the convention center and we wanted more of a resort style hotel to stay at. We stayed for six days and overall we felt this property delivered an enjoyable experience. More specifically:

Valet: Great service from Jose the valet. Jose greeted us each day with a smile and from the moment we entered the hotel to the time we had to leave, he remembered us, remember our names and provided excellent service each and every time we needed our vehicle.

Lobby: A beautiful, open lobby with a hoping bar where the locals hang out too. Every night they had something different going on, but overall the lobby is lively, comfortable and has an outstanding service level.

Bell Desk: Very helpful and informative.

Rooms: We had a very nice room overlooking the sea. The room was equipped with a full kitchen, sitting area, large bathroom, king size bed and balcony. The room was very clean and comfortable with newer furnishings. My only complaint about the room is the blower to the air conditioner was right over the bed and it kept blowing on us all night and was somewhat uncomfortable. They need to put a diffuser on it or point it away from the bed for better sleep quality.

Housekeeping: Probably the most disappointing of our stay. Housekeeping usually did not service our room until very late in the day and really all they did was empty the trash and replace towels. No vacuum, no cleaning floors, etc.

Executive Lounge: This was the best part of our stay. Because I am gold with Marriott, we were provided access to their executive lounge. Great food and drink every day with an outstanding service level. A special thank you to Alain Aponte and Luis we took great care of us throughout our stay and they did an amazing job.

Amenities: The hotel has nice amenities including two pools (one adult pool only) that were very well maintained, in a comfortable surrounding and great service.

Price: The hotel is a little pricey, but overall not bad for what we got. There are definitely less expensive places to stay, but given the overall quality of the property, we felt it was worth the spend.

Overall we had a great stay and we would definitely stay at the La Concha again when in San Juan. They have a friendly and outstanding service level throughout the hotel which made our trip that much more enjoyable. Great job and thank you to the entire staff who's names are too many to mention.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

3,908 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I just spent my first night in Puerto Rico with La Concha. I chose this hotel because of my friend's recommendation, who just had his wedding here in Jan. He highly recommended this hotel so we came here with high anticipation!
We booked a resort view room, and the room is spacious and comfy. There is no bath tub in the bathroom, but it's nice and clean (although you can still see some mold between tiles.)
One thing that let us down is our view from the room is totally blocked by the coconut tree and restaurant right in front of us. As we view back from the beach, there are maybe only less than 5 rooms with the totally blocked view, and unfortunately we got one of them.
The service is nice and quick, as we called for the replacement of the broken coffee maker and wine opener, we got prompt reply. And the people at the front desk and concierge are all very nice.

Room Tip: Only choose the resort view room if you don't mind of getting a totally blocked view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us from your recent stay. Thank you for acknowledging the service and hospitality you received by our team members. I apologize that the view of your room was not what you expected. For your next visit, please contact me directly and I will assure you have a breathtaking view to enjoy and a unforgettable experience! I look forward to personally having you as our guest again soon.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I spent 13 days in this hotel. Ample time to get a lay of the land. The pro's: it has many pools and a nice, quaint clean strip of beach. Cons: you are locked into the property and its surroundings if you do not have a car. I would NOT recommend exploring on foot. The surrounding streets and businesses look unsafe. went to the corner walgreens and had to deal with several aggressive pan handlers. There are only two real eateries unless you want to survive on fast food. There is a subway across the street and wendy's one block up. While there are other creole eateries the food was inedible and I have eaten Puerto Rican cuisine all of my life.
The one hotel restaurant called VOGA charged us over 50.00 dollars foe a buffet breakfast for two. The food was cold, poor quality, tasteless and the choices extremely limited.
La Perla was beautiful to look at. It is a conch in shape inside and out. The service was 5 star but so were the prices. Ate there twice since I could not stomach the meals from Voga. The later served me a piece of sapper I grew muscles trying to cut. Can you imagine that????. I never knew fish could take on the consistency of dry leather and just as tough.

The rooms. Wow NOT GOOD. The inside was austere with furniture that was plastic and looked futuristic. They like to call it modernism. Yea!!!!!!!!!. The room was very clean though but the bed and pillows were hard. The air conditioning functioned excellent. Thank God as it got as hot as 96 but felt 105.

This hotel asked far to high a price and does not deliver. Best to shop around . By the way my city view faced a lot of cars and chipped buildings in real need of a paint job. I could see my neighbors in opposite buildings from the kitchen nook where I learned their morning and night patterns (Yuck) not a pretty sight but there was no where else to gaze if I wanted to use a table to eat at. I was VERY Disappointed felt robbed financially. The online description and pictures are very deceptive.

Room Tip: Only know of their city views. Pass on these rooms the view looks worse than a bad neighborhood in a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hola Lola524,

Thank you for your honest review. Your comments are well taken and appreciated because it is through feedback from our guests that allow us to point out the areas where we may need to improve. And we will, for this our commitment. Both Voga and Perla have had great reviews in the past, and we will work hard to stay consistent. Our Chef is on point with your comments. I would have hoped that not only you tried our restaurants, but also those recommended by our Concierge Team. Our Concierge Team is second to none in recommendations for restaurants and tours all over the Puerto Rico. We have tasted and adventured through many areas to ensure that we know what we recommend.
Lola524, stay with us again, and contact me to ensure you receive an ocean view room. I can guarantee you that your experience will be memorable.

At your service,

Jose Cepero
Director of Guest Services
jcepero@laconcharesort.com
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Well...The room was cursed - the first morning the toilet would not stop running so the maintenance man had to come in to "fix" which took over an hour so we were stuck in the room waiting for him to finish so we could shower and get on with our day. The second day we were out in Old San Juan for the afternoon, upon our return the mirror located between the closets had fallen off the wall and broke into a million pieces all over the floor, bed and my clothes! They actually wanted to send housekeeping in to clean and I refused - no way was I getting glass fragments in any part of my body while on vacation! They did move us to another room BUT that was it - I felt there was more they could do for the inconvenience for 2 days is row! At least a few $12 drinks at the bar - yes, I said $12!!! And I am NOT cheap - they drinks were served in a basic glass, 8 oz size with nothing fancy about the garnish - for that much money - give me a dahm umbrella! LOL
Although we probably will never return to PR - the hotel in my opinion was just average and the surrounding area was below that. Very expensive weekend and not very good accommodations or eateries! sorry:(

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front suite not room - they are more spacious and have a couch and chair
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is clear we fell short in meeting your expectations and for this we sincerely apologize. Our main priority is for all our guests to have a welcoming and comfortable stay with us. We have shared your comment with our respective managers in order to avoid reoccurence. Again, thank you very much for your comments and we sincerely hope that you consider returning to the island and provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.
Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Super Renaissance property in Candado. Beautiful beach and convenient location. Fully-equipped 24-hour gym. Best part of the hotel is the friendly, helpful staff; best exemplified by Michael Tischler in the Concierge lounge. Michael's attention greatly enhanced our trip: he set us up on a great trip to Culebra, scheduled a massage for us on the beach, rented us a car at a great rate, and recommended great local dining establishments. Thanks Michael, and La Concha, for a great vacation! We'll be back!

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After a tough event in St Thomas we needed somewhere to escape and the hotel absolutely worked. Room was great with fantastic beach view- modern and luxurious without being over the top. Pools are fabulous and the beach was perfect. You basically have the best of both worlds.

We had breakfast in the restaurant upstairs from the Reception. Service and food was fantastic. All the staff looked great and were very friendly and available when you needed them. No looking for someone to get a drink.

One evening we ate out and then came back to a Jazz Band and party- great atmosphere and definitely a place even the locals come too to hang out and be seen.

Good location with buses directly outside that go to the Old Town. We walked down to the Conrad and were so happy we choose here. Conrad was dead and is placed in a poor part of the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
sydney australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spent two separate nights here in transit. The rooms are comfortable. The restaurants and bars we tried are reasonably priced and the quality of the food and service is acceptable. The lobby seems always to be noisy - there is at night a DJ in the lobby bar. Fine if you like that sort of thing.
If this sounds like a luke warm review, I guess it is. La Concha is just like many large resort
hotels. If we were staying longer, for our tastes, something smaller and something with charm would be our choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!