“Great service and atmosphere at city resort.” 5 of 5 stars

You added La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1077 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in San Juan
“Great service and atmosphere at city resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel features a contemporary ambience, easy beach access and great restaurants on site and just down the street. We have stayed here two times and the staff has been exceptional both times. I especially wanted to single out Hector Torres for helping make our stay a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013

4,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,329)
Dover, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I recently visited the "La Concha Resort" in PR and I had a horrible experience. Before my trip i searched the many hotels and resorts that Puerto Rico had to offer and thought that since I stayed In a Renaissance Resort in Miami and had excellent service that I would maybe stay at another location and have another good experience. Boy was I wrong.... So from the moment i walked in the resort I was greeted by the bell boys, which was good, the entrance of the resort was very nice and there was a lot of people checking out, so there was a bit of a wait to check in. I then reached the counter and was greeted by a woman named DENISE, she pulled up my reservation and told me I would be staying in a 1 bedroom suite and it was a city view, the problem was, that I booked an ocean view and not city, so now she' s calling the reservation agents to see what was booked, she didnt get ahold of anyone and said she would give me a partial ocean view because she had no ocean views. so I said ok fine, im not going to make a big deal about the view, because even though I would like a nice view, I would still like looking out at the city. So I paid for my stay and was told I would have to pay an additional $250 incase I wanted to order room service, now I have stayed at many hotels before and never heard this but if this is something that the marriot does they should let their guests know before hand. I informed her that I would not be ordering any room service, so she said I would have to put a minimum of $50 down, so I did. She then gave me my room, I said I am gonna need double beds and she informed me that they dont have any double beds and that I dont have a double bed on my reservation, I said I know I have an option of a double bed or king. So she tells me that they don't have any available until sunday. Now It was Thursday, and I was leaving Monday, what would I do in a 1 brdm King suite with My sister, her son 7mnths, my son1yr and my sister15yo all in 1 bed right? I explained to her that it wasnt enough beds to accommodate the people in my party and she offered me an air mattress..... An Air mattress? Why would I come on vacation and pay $200 a night to sleep on an air mattress? She didnt seem to understand my fustration. so I asked for her manager and of course she hit me with the, I am the manager line. I requested a manager above her, and got an even bigger fool Jose Cepero who offers to accommodate me by offering me an ocean view room in a standard room, W/ 2 double beds no discount..... Then tells me "well I dont know what to tell you, Im not gonna give you a room that someone else has guaranteed, its not my fault you didn't guarantee 2 beds" The room I paid for was a kitchenette!! Stove w/ range, full refrigerator, Spa Tub and Shower... The other room, Shower only, oh and he sad he would try to get a microwave up there for us to warm milk for my nephew. I was so upset an disgusted by this treatment that I wanted to look for another hotel but the boys were exhausted and so was my sisters and I, so we took the one king bed suite because he presented us with a take it or sleep on the beach option. I didnt spend a dime in the hotel our view was of an abandoned building, a dirty building across the street, a very dirty parking lot, a building with trash piled high, oh yeah and a corner of the beach. I will never stay at a Renaissance Resort or any other Marriott hotels for that matter again and I hope this review will deter some of you all from staying there as well! I Paid too much money to be watching homeless people laying on the beach right next to the resort, If I wanted to see that and pay for an expensive room I would have vacationed in Manhattan! Well not really because the NYPD Has that under control!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Saludos ChaiDT,

On behalf of Denise and myself, please accept our apologies for not being able to provide you with the requested city view suite with 2 beds upon your arrival. Regrettably, as mentioned, it would be unfair on our part to take away this room category from those guests who previously guaranteed this accommodation. The guarantee of room accommodations is provided by all Marriott brands and thus we abide by this. However I am glad that with the options provided to better accommodate you and your party, we were able to upgrade you to the partial ocean view suite. Please know that our intention was always to find the best options for you and by no means did we want you to feel mistreated. Our business is focused on service and our commitment is to try to be the best when offering this. We hope that in the future another opportunity can be granted, and if so, I am confident that your expectation and satisfaction will be met.

At your service,

Jose Cepero
jcepero@laconcharesort.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've stayed at La Concha 3 times and am going back soon. We love the resort, it is clean and contemporary. The pools are great and it's ocean front. It is in a great location, we walked or took a fast cab ride to all the best restaurants. The best part was the fantastic service. All the servers were great but we received poolside service by the absolute best server I've ever had anywhere. Carlos is a great person and so professional at his job. He always made our group feel like we were his only customers - but for sure, we were not as he worked harder than seemed possible. Making sure he took drinks and food order lightning fast. As quick and as hard as he worked, he always took the time to ask about our trip, our family and made sure our stay was perfect. We love Carlos!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, new, modern and clean. However, I was expecting something else..something more. I feel that i missed out on the island vibe by staying here because the hotel is so American, its so modern that it feels as if i was staying in the states instead of in Puerto Rico. My husbands mother is from PR so we try to visit the island once a year (try), and always stay at different hotels. This is a wonderful stay and I dont really have many complaints, but my advice is if you really want to get to know this island and its people and its culture, stay elsewhere..you will feel as if you are in a bubble here.

Room Tip: Rooms were very spacious, a bit modern 50s decor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is very nice and located in a great part of San Juan. We were looking for a hotel that was nice, but not necessarily family oriented and this fit great. There are families there, which is fine, but it doesn't cater primarily to families, including having an adults only pool (1 of 3). It is right on the beach as well. We stayed in the Suite tower, which I would recommend as they are all new, but can't speak to the other tower. The servers at the pool are all great (especially Daniel). We ate breakfast at Voga one morning and it was very good (it should be for $25) and Gold members get a discount. We also had breakfast at the executive lounge once and it was fine (not the best lounge food but fine). The food we had served by the pool as also very good (as was the sangria). Overall the service was good, the rooms and other areas of the hotel were well kept and the price was reasonable considering all of the positives. I would definitely recommend staying at this property. However, to be fair, I want to point out a few negatives as well. First, the concierge was absolutely unhelpful when we tried to get advice on 3 separate occasions - save your time and stick to the internet. Also, I understand it is a nice hotel, and things cost, but the $7 local beers in the lobby and by the pool is really absurd. I've stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world (see other reviews) and have never been charged $7 for a beer other than maybe room service so this is a bit much. Finally, the elevators in the Suite tower were terrible, only 2, and very slow and about 25% of the time one was out of service - it did cause us to use the stairs which is a nice workout. Again, I consider these all minor points and so still rated it a 5 (would have been a 4.5 if that was available) but thought worth mentioning.

Room Tip: Suite tower - except the biggest rooms/suites do not have a view of the ocean - I fail to understand...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This place was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. The staff really knows how to welcome you and make you feel like part of the family. My husband and I traveled with our 2-year-old, Mother, and Nana.

We were not sure how kid friendly this place would be. I was happily surprised to see there were many other children on the property. They have three pools: one for everyone, one for kids, and an adult only. Plus the private beach with waiters and cabana boys.

The best meal we had our whole trip was at Perla. Treat yourself and go. Well worth it. Voga the Italian restaurant was very good as well.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower to get a room with a fridge and a microwave. If you are heading to Old San J...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at La concha for three nights before departing on a cruise. We had four rooms for our group-all of whom booked together at the same rate. The problem was that we all got different types of rooms. i was there to celebrate my 40th b day and after requesting an upgrade we were told there was nothing available and then were put in a tiny room with no sitting area overlooking a parking lot when we booked beach view. When we saw the others we were quite upset as we were trying to celebrate a special event in our room and couldn't due to lack of space. And the kicker was when we got back from the cruise we needed a room for the day and I they gave us one of the bigger suites for less than we paid for the other three nights! very confusing!
The rooms themselves were nice(ours was just small). Also be aware this is more of a party- we saw a lot of bachelorette parties going and a lot of noise coming from some rooms.
The other issue we had was the music in the lobby. We are all up for a party and having a good time, but there was a dj or a band in the lobby every night and it made it very hard to check in as you were screaming to be heard or to even have a conversation at the bar.
The pool area and beach area are very nice, but food and drinks are pricey! We had great breakfasts from Ben And Jerry's around the corner
Overall an ok stay- just a little upset about the room situation!

Room Tip: Be prepared not to get the room you booked!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Saludos Melsriver,

I am sorry to learn about your room situation. I do know that upgrades are based upon availability and on weekends this is limited due to our high occupancy, however we ensure that every guest has the room type that they booked. I apologize if this was not so and I would like to learn more about your reservation to see where we went wrong. Please contact me at your convenience.

At your service,

Jose Cepero
jcepero@laconcharesort.com

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!