“Wonderful Resort, beautiful location and CARLOS, our server, was the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel

Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Resort, beautiful location and CARLOS, our server, was the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've stayed at La Concha 3 times and am going back soon. We love the resort, it is clean and contemporary. The pools are great and it's ocean front. It is in a great location, we walked or took a fast cab ride to all the best restaurants. The best part was the fantastic service. All the servers were great but we received poolside service by the absolute best server I've ever had anywhere. Carlos is a great person and so professional at his job. He always made our group feel like we were his only customers - but for sure, we were not as he worked harder than seemed possible. Making sure he took drinks and food order lightning fast. As quick and as hard as he worked, he always took the time to ask about our trip, our family and made sure our stay was perfect. We love Carlos!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

4,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,331)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, new, modern and clean. However, I was expecting something else..something more. I feel that i missed out on the island vibe by staying here because the hotel is so American, its so modern that it feels as if i was staying in the states instead of in Puerto Rico. My husbands mother is from PR so we try to visit the island once a year (try), and always stay at different hotels. This is a wonderful stay and I dont really have many complaints, but my advice is if you really want to get to know this island and its people and its culture, stay elsewhere..you will feel as if you are in a bubble here.

Room Tip: Rooms were very spacious, a bit modern 50s decor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is very nice and located in a great part of San Juan. We were looking for a hotel that was nice, but not necessarily family oriented and this fit great. There are families there, which is fine, but it doesn't cater primarily to families, including having an adults only pool (1 of 3). It is right on the beach as well. We stayed in the Suite tower, which I would recommend as they are all new, but can't speak to the other tower. The servers at the pool are all great (especially Daniel). We ate breakfast at Voga one morning and it was very good (it should be for $25) and Gold members get a discount. We also had breakfast at the executive lounge once and it was fine (not the best lounge food but fine). The food we had served by the pool as also very good (as was the sangria). Overall the service was good, the rooms and other areas of the hotel were well kept and the price was reasonable considering all of the positives. I would definitely recommend staying at this property. However, to be fair, I want to point out a few negatives as well. First, the concierge was absolutely unhelpful when we tried to get advice on 3 separate occasions - save your time and stick to the internet. Also, I understand it is a nice hotel, and things cost, but the $7 local beers in the lobby and by the pool is really absurd. I've stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world (see other reviews) and have never been charged $7 for a beer other than maybe room service so this is a bit much. Finally, the elevators in the Suite tower were terrible, only 2, and very slow and about 25% of the time one was out of service - it did cause us to use the stairs which is a nice workout. Again, I consider these all minor points and so still rated it a 5 (would have been a 4.5 if that was available) but thought worth mentioning.

Room Tip: Suite tower - except the biggest rooms/suites do not have a view of the ocean - I fail to understand...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This place was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. The staff really knows how to welcome you and make you feel like part of the family. My husband and I traveled with our 2-year-old, Mother, and Nana.

We were not sure how kid friendly this place would be. I was happily surprised to see there were many other children on the property. They have three pools: one for everyone, one for kids, and an adult only. Plus the private beach with waiters and cabana boys.

The best meal we had our whole trip was at Perla. Treat yourself and go. Well worth it. Voga the Italian restaurant was very good as well.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower to get a room with a fridge and a microwave. If you are heading to Old San J...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at La concha for three nights before departing on a cruise. We had four rooms for our group-all of whom booked together at the same rate. The problem was that we all got different types of rooms. i was there to celebrate my 40th b day and after requesting an upgrade we were told there was nothing available and then were put in a tiny room with no sitting area overlooking a parking lot when we booked beach view. When we saw the others we were quite upset as we were trying to celebrate a special event in our room and couldn't due to lack of space. And the kicker was when we got back from the cruise we needed a room for the day and I they gave us one of the bigger suites for less than we paid for the other three nights! very confusing!
The rooms themselves were nice(ours was just small). Also be aware this is more of a party- we saw a lot of bachelorette parties going and a lot of noise coming from some rooms.
The other issue we had was the music in the lobby. We are all up for a party and having a good time, but there was a dj or a band in the lobby every night and it made it very hard to check in as you were screaming to be heard or to even have a conversation at the bar.
The pool area and beach area are very nice, but food and drinks are pricey! We had great breakfasts from Ben And Jerry's around the corner
Overall an ok stay- just a little upset about the room situation!

Room Tip: Be prepared not to get the room you booked!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Saludos Melsriver,

I am sorry to learn about your room situation. I do know that upgrades are based upon availability and on weekends this is limited due to our high occupancy, however we ensure that every guest has the room type that they booked. I apologize if this was not so and I would like to learn more about your reservation to see where we went wrong. Please contact me at your convenience.

At your service,

Jose Cepero
jcepero@laconcharesort.com
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was really inpressed with this resort. I'm not big on hotels no matter how many stars so that says alot for me!! The oceanfront room had a spectacular view, room was clean and spacious. The resort has an onsite casino, several pools and the lobby area is the place to be at night. It was a very romantic getaway for us and would definitely recommend.

On the downside, food and drinks are pricey (but expected). You may be better off dining at the restuarants and bars nearby. There are many options to choose from in walking distance from the resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a great time when I stayed at you hotel during the dates of August 22nd - 25th. Your bartenders (Carlos Alveraz and Rebecca Riviera) was most gracious hosts. Gave us the hot spots to go and Rebecca served great drinks.
The hotel accomodations was wonderful and all your staff was friendly and made our singles trip lots of fun!! I will definately visit again next year, but this time, with FAMILY...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!