“Fabulous staff” 4 of 5 stars

Naughty or Nice Package
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
“Fabulous staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently returned from Puerto Rico and stayed at La Concha for my first 2 nights on the island. The staff here is fabulous! Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. Although the hotel is big, it did not appear overrun with guests which is also nice. The location is great as it is right on the beach and within walking distance of many restaurants. The rooms were very spacious and the beds comfy. While thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, I feel like there was a little something missing. A je ne sais quoi... After some thought, I think I have determined what it is. While the hotel is beautiful, the drinks made with love and the staff fabulous...it is not quite as luxurious as I expected (based on its description and that of some reviewers). That being said, it is lovely and I would stay here again. I made this trip with my husband, dad and stepmom, and brother and girlfriend - we all enjoyed ourselves and were happy with our accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,455)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from Puerto Rico. This was our 2nd visit and our first stay at this hotel. From the moment we got out of our taxi, we were greeted and treated awesomely. When we arrived, we could not check into our room because we were early, so we went out to the beach for some sun and swim. The beach staff was very accommodating by setting up some chairs for us along with an umbrella. We were approached by a staff server named Hector Torres...offering us a menu along with some suggestions. He was very accommodating and always made sure everything was fine. Around 5 pm we went to check into our room. The room we were given was not the room that I had confirmed. The hotel manager was very accommodating in changing our room to a larger one with a poolside view which had a balcony. We stayed and ate at the hotel on our first day and the food was just as good as the service!!! My daughter is gluten free, soy free and dairy free, and there was no problem in having her meal prepared in the manner in which she can eat. And Hector was sure to see that she received the food the way she wanted it. She was totally ecstatic to see that there were gluten-free options on the menu.
The hotel is located close to San Juan. The taxi ride was $17 there and we took a bus back for 75 cents. There are some fine restaurants close to the hotel as well as a Starbucks and Walgreens, in case you forget something.
All in all, our stay was wonderful, the service from morning through the night was very friendly. I would definitely come here again.

Bridgeport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've stayed at El San Juan Hotel, El Condado Plaza, El Conquistator, Embassy Suites BUT LA CONCHA ROCKS!!!!! I couldn't wait to meet Felix (which everyone raved about) and he is indeed every bit of what I expected ..... the resort is stunningly gorgeous. The ground are beautifully maintained ... world class wining and dining (expensive but worth it - you can't ball out on a budget so don't bring one) !!!!!

East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I visited Puerto Rico over the July 4th break earlier this year for some summer fun at the beach. Overall it was a great stay and I would recommend it, with a couple of caveats.

Pros: La Concha has a very beautiful marble lobby which is very impressive when you first arrive at the hotel. The resort has a very spacious feeling and overall the staff are helpful. We were very well taken care of when we first arrived. During our stay, Johannes and Hector were especially pleasant. Luis was also nice once you got to know him.

The larger pool near the bar and restaurant is a lot of fun after a day on the beach because it is a heated pool. It looks very beautiful at night. The lobby turns into a night club type venue at night which is exciting although be aware the music is rather loud.

The location of the resort is very good and there are many convenience stores near by - Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts etc. Old San Juan is quite nearby at just a $15 cab ride away. The sea is somewhat rough but there is a lot of fun to be had. I did really enjoy the beach side food service, which is great.

Cons: The reason for giving 4 stars not five is that the beach staff can be a bit abrupt/rude in the way they check whether you are a guest at the hotel before handing over beach supplies or setting up a sun bed. Probably they have problems with non-guests abusing the facilities but a more sophisticated approach would be better to avoid offending genuine guests of the hotel.

Rooms are slightly on the smaller side and have rather basic furnishings, but the views of the ocean are amazing.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view a few floors up. Worth it for the beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you had a memorable experience at our resort. We apologize for your discomfort at the beach. We will share your comments with the beach staff to ensure we continue to focus on enhancing our guest experience.

We will be looking forward to your next visit and if I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My favorite person and I visit PR every 6 months and this is our home away from home :-)

Pros: The hotel is centrally located... It's the happening place in the area. Lots of options for active ppl: good gym, pools, and the beach. Lots of restaurants walking distance, as well as kayak and paddle boarding. The staff is awesome, love the live music in the lobby and the bar offers the BEST mojitos in condado! I have stayed in different room types, and the SPA SUITE is the best, by far, of any room.

We loved the hotel so much, We had our wedding there (June2013). All staff were amazing, specially Jessica Rivera and Luz Gonzalez. I had the wedding of my dreams and the guest still talk about how unique and amazing our destination wedding was... Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Spa suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel, centrally located and great amenities. It's better suited for couples and singles so parents, please avoid bringing your kids here. The ocean view room was great and clean although, the bed wasn't as comfortable as others I've experienced. The multiple pools were great as well as the easy access to the beach. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to be back!

Room Tip: Opt to pay a little more for the ocean view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went to La Concha for a wedding and I have to say overall it's a 4 1/2 star resort! I didn't give it a 5 because it is VERY expensive. Drinks that barely had liquor were $11 but the passion fruit mojitos were YUMMY! The food is amazing and consistently good! The view from our 9th floor suite was great! The nightlife in the hotel was great for dancing and hanging our by the bar. The pools and scenery were very relaxing and serene. I didn't see many kids nor hear the ones that were there so it made for a very relaxing break away. The staff was incredibly friendly throughout the hotel. Everything was very clean and very luxurious. There are also shops and bars across the street that made it incredibly convenient for beachwear, night out dresses and dancing. The food at the wedding was simply amazing! Overall I love La Concha and would come back again! Romance tranquility and great food! You couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!