“Great Service, Very Nice Place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Naughty or Nice Package
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Princeton, New Jersey
“Great Service, Very Nice Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went to this hotel for a business meeting. The service was excellent from the moment I arrived. The room was very nice, modern, very clean and with an amazing view.

My only recommendation would be to work on renovating the elevators as they are a little slow.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

visited La Concha for one night following a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. Reserved a spa (hot tub) suite many months prior. Check-in is 4:00 pm, but our cruise was over in the morning so we arrived at the hotel around 10 am hoping maybe we could spend some time on the beach until our room was ready. The staff that greeted us curbside and at the reception desk were very courteous and pleasant. We were able to check our bags and were given a beeper to let us know when our room was ready. We then went to the beach but getting towels requires a room number, which of course we had not been assigned yet. To "reserve" a chair/lounge you need a towel. We observed a hotel staff member eject four individuals who were not hotel guests who had taken towels and chairs and shortly thereafter I decided to that it would be reasonable to use two of the loungers since we knew they were otherwise not occupied. However, when I started to remove the towels from the loungers a hotel staff member began yelling at me from across the beach - not a great way to set the tone for a paying customer. I explained our circumstance and we ultimately were able to use two other loungers, but the feeling of being treated as trespassers as opposed to guests, and having been yelled at while in front of many other hotel guests imprinted very bad feelings and colored the rest of our stay. And given that we were paying for one of the most expensive rooms in the hotel.....well, I expected much better.

Our beeper never beeped. I checked with the desk every couple of hours to be told that the room was not ready. Finally at 3:30 (I acknowledge that this is still 30 minutes prior to the check-in time listed) I inquired and was provided a key. When we got to the room there was a message on the phone that had been left at 1:04 pm from hotel management asking if our room was O.K. Obviously someone dropped a ball somewhere since this would indicate that our room had been ready quite some time earlier when we had been told it was not yet available.

When we got to the room we immediately began filling the hot tub having read previous reviews that indicated it could take hours to fill. Unfortunately there was some difficulty with the faucet and the directions said nothing about their being a drain left open by maintenance. Indeed, access to the drain is under a large metal box that would appear to be something a guest wouldn't be expected to remove (see pictures). Although the instruction (additional picture) indicated the tub takes twenty minutes to fill, ours took about two hours.

Additionally, the spa suites/rooms are located either directly over or right next to a lounge as the bass response from the band playing there actually vibrated the walls to the point that a glass light sconce shook and rattled so loudly that we were having trouble hearing the television. The band ended at 11 pm - otherwise this would have been a serious problem for us.

Now for the essentials, the room/suite was clean and comfortable, as were other areas of the hotel that we visited. The staff (beach chair guy being the exception) were pleasant, though not tremendously helpful in resolving problems. The beach is modest in size with dirt brown sand and a nice, not overwhelming, surf to swim or bobble in. The hotel is directly next to a small park of some sort where there appear to be community gatherings of various types on weekends (which may explain the hotel's vigilance in managing their chairs). There are ice cream parlors (Coldstone Creamery and Baskin Robbins) fast food (Wendy's) and a Walgreens all very close to the hotel.

There is a very significant police presence in the area - which is both comforting and dis-comforting (why is it necessary) at the same time. We were not afraid of venturing out of the hotel, though we did not do so at night. There is a mix of occupied and un-occupied (abandoned?) buildings all around and graffiti is prevalent.

Since this was a one-night stay for us (it was supposed to be the grand finale of our vacation) until our flight out the next morning, we only got benefit of the room for the evening. I wouldn't recommend the hotel for pre-post cruise stays as I'm sure there are much more cost-effective alternatives. And while I rented this particular type of room for the novelty of the hot-tub overlooking the ocean, the problems we had with it, and the expense involved were not worth the experience.

Room Tip: Everything that I've read and everything that I saw would indicate that if you choose this parti...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the feedback you provided regarding your stay at our hotel. Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences encountered in our property. Regarding the beach area incident, we have zero tolerance towards this misconduct from our team members and will address immediately. We also will share your comments with our Engineering and Front Office staff in order to avoid a reoccurrence.

Please be assured that your experiences will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ experience.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope that you will provide us another opportunity to regain your trust.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a perfect location if you like to have good food and be in the beach. It is not a cheap hotel, the food is very expensive, I recommend to eat outside the hotel.

It has three pools, the beach is very nice, but be careful it has strong currents.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had read many reviews prior to and after I booked my reservation. I was getting somewhat concerned over the reviews that made it sound like more of a young crowd, party type of atmosphere and not so appropriate for families. I am happy to report that I was pleasanty suprised that this was not the case. Upon our arrival, we received excellent from every staff member I came in contact with. From Miguel at the front desk check in who promptly got us upgraded and into our room early to the wonderful Bell staff Antonio Moll and Jose Javier and one other super friendly gentleman that I did not note his name, each and everyone was sincerely pleasant and made you feel at home.
The resort itself is beautiful from the entrance to the lobby to the grounds. We stayed in the Suite Tower and I am so happy that I decided to make the upgrade from the Deluxe Ocean Front Room. It was perfect for the three of us. Our daughter had her own area and we had the beautiful master area and balcony.
I loved that there was an infinity pool directly on the beach, it was nice to be able to go back and forth during the day. Service around the pool was slow and the drinks were overpriced and watered down, but that is typical of any resort. Housekeeping was prompt and thorough. LaConcha is in a perfect location, great restaurants and bars within walking distance and a short $15 cab ride into Old Town. We took a private day tour through Charlie's Custom Tours and I would highly recommend it to anyone staying, we had a fabulous day visiting areas and sites not known by tourists.
Take negative reviews with a grain of salt, some people are impossible to please. If you have traveled in the past than you know what your expectations should be. My expectations were definitely exceeded based on all of the research I had done. I hope to be back to the beautiful LaConcha and Puerto Rico soon.

Room Tip: The Suite Tower is a must
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Experience at this resort will definitely be based on your expectations from the start. It is four star in some ways (good food and drinks, great pools and layout), with nice suites and grounds, but less positive in other aspects.

The good and bad together:
-- Food: Good food at the pool and at breakfast (hint: the omelet bar is outside while rest of the food is inside. Don't miss it)... Sushi and tapas were great. Lunch by the pool consistently good, although expensive. But the nicer specialty restaurants were mostly never available over our four-night stay due to an endless series of weddings and private events. Food and drinks were on the pricey side.
-- Rooms: We had several different rooms in the suite tower. The rooms had good layouts with mini-kitchens and seating areas, comfortable beds and reasonably-sized bathrooms. Unfortunately -- though appearing new -- the rooms often smell rather musty (damp) and the AC does not work well at night. Some of the rooms were also a bit noisy. There were several large groups of young adults partying on property all weekend. We heard them. A lot.
-- Service: Housekeeping was highly variable (ranging to really not good, actually), as was service in general. The lobby restrooms and pool restrooms were often dirty. Bar service surly. Pool service not as attentive as they could be at times. (Hint to management: more waiters in late afternoon would mean you'd sell more drinks and snacks. It was a bit difficult to get served at that time of day.) Meanwhile the breakfast staff was wonderful and having dinner outside in the tapas area was a treat as our waiter was always very helpful and attentive with our kids and quick to bring the adult drinks -- we had several meals there for simplicity's sake.
-- The Property: The pools are nice and the layout of the property is interesting. The gym is well-equipped and has a lovely view, though I wished the TVs on the treadmills and other equipment worked. The elevators to the suite tower are ridiculously slow and hot. It was not uncommon for there to be large crowds gathered on the lobby floor waiting for the elevators. The beach is nice, but a bit unnerving to have so much security and police on the beach -- but not surprising, perhaps, given the semi-urban setting.
-- The vibe: Buzzing with energy. While there were lots of kids and families, this seems a better place for young adults who want the more in-town setting (can walk to several other things in the Condado area), will enjoy the casino, etc. The location is not far from Old Town San Juan, the fort and other attractions.

Overall, we had a nice stay. I would recommend it for adults traveling and looking to party, but possibly would not return as a family having looked at and stayed at other hotels on the island. Certainly if I did, I'd want the suite with the kitchenette again as it was very nice to have a refrigerator to stock, microwave to make popcorn for the kids, etc.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view means partial view of somewhat run-down buildings, nearby construction. My advice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Massapequa, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from our 8 night stay at La Concha resort. We planned this trip to celebrate her 50th birthday.

I contacted the hotel in advance of arriving both via email and phone to see if anything special could be planned for her birthday and to inquire about 4th of July fireworks. After two emails I received a list of things I can order in advance, if I so desired. Also, I was told there would be fireworks shortly after 9pm on the fourth on the water outside the hotel. When we check in at 8:15pm on the fourth I asked what was the best place to see the fireworks and they now said "What Fireworks? There are no fireworks".

Now a tale of 8 nights:

First night: Broken window shade, light bulbs out, mold in shower, musty order
Rather than fix the problems we were moved to another room the next day

Nights 2 & 3: Three elevators serve this tower, one has been out since we arrived. Wait for elevator at least 10 minutes. Once second one goes out of service we are forced to use Service Elevator where we have to walk thru a corridor with dirty laundry and garbage.

We speak to a manager and we will be moved to a room in another tower for night 4.

Night 4: Well we move into a room in the new "suites tower" An 11 story building with an un air conditioned atrium. The atrium is oppressively hot and humid. All the interior walls have condensation from the coolness of the air conditioned "suites" Wooden doors are rippled from warping. The room smells like pine sol when we first move in. When we return after 11pm, it smells musty. We lay down on the bed around 11:30 to the sound of popping springs, some of which stab us. I quickly get dressed and head downstairs to the front desk. I speak to the manager on duty who finds us another room. I check it out, the smell is there but not unbearable so we move. As soon as we start to settle in, here come the roaches. I quickly call down and the manager rushes back upstairs apologizing again and brings keys to three or four more rooms. He and his partner check out the first one and walked right out. The smell was overbearing even to them. We check another room (smaller this time) then smell was not terrible and the bed didnt try to stab us so we moved in around 12:30am (which is how we got to start celebrating my wifes now birthday). So that was four rooms in about a half hour with a promise to move to another room the following day.

Days 5 thru 8 - Another room was "prepared for us" Why should a room have to be prepared? Well they changed the air conditioning filter, had the tech guy check the TV and phone, had the mattress changed and the bathroom scrubbed. There was still a musty underlying smell. A manager told me that this is a problem that the owner is working on with the architect to have air conditioning added to the atrium to help solve this problem in this poorly designed two year old building.

Over the rest of the trip we saw mattresses being changed in multilple rooms, garbage left in hallways overnight and not cleared until we pointed it out, had our requests to have manager call me unheeded, more stuck or broken elevators, oxidized furniture that needs replacements, we heard many people complaining about the smells of mustiness. We spoke to many managers such as Alfonso, Jose, Hector, Miguel & JC all of whom expressed understanding our unhappiness but appear overwhelmed by all the problems in the structure in the complex. They are trying to keep the place together with band aids.

On the bright side there are many great restaurants off the property within walking distance or a short cab ride. I just wish the concierge didn't send me on a wild goose chase for a restaurant outside the tourist area on the night that the Governor closed bars and restaurants outside of tourist areas because of the potential impact ot Tropical Storm Chantel.

Also, I should state Hector, a Front desk manager did send up the least expensive bottle of champagne available and a cheese a cracker plate for my wife's birthday to "make it up to us"

We booked this hotel on points based upon a level "7" status from Marriott, I wouldn't rate it a "1". Incredible waste of points.

8 nights, 7 rooms. Not a great vacation.

If this is the fourth ranked hotel in San Juan, I wouldn't want to see the fifth, sixth, etc...

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Upon check in, go have a passion fruit mojito from the lobby bar. Yum!
We stayed in the Suite tower and based on reviews, it seems like the only part to stay in. Ours felt like an apartment (by New York standards). We tried two of the restaurants. They were good if you just don't feel like going out to explore all the wonderful restaurants in town. This hotel is in a perfect location to get to anything around the city and it's on a great shopping street. The entire staff was helpful: Housekeeping, Front Desk, Valet, Bellmen. The valet guys were especially helpful and so welcoming.
The one or two down-sides
1) The charge 16% of your room rate as a resort fee. Ours ended up being $50 a day.
2) There's also a serious hotel tax
So, basically, more expensive hotels might be cheaper because their resort fees are normal.
Our stay was so lovely that even with the painful surprise on the bill, we chose to just lick our wounds. I guess we should researched the ridiculous resort fee ahead of time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!