“Good hotel - not 5 star” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1077 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
“Good hotel - not 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Spent July 2-5 here pre cruise. We were in an ocean front junior suite. I was sure when we booked we had paid for a room in the new tower, but apparently not, but for $75/nt we could move.

July 3rd -11:00 pm, huge bang....screaming from the pool area, all the lights go off. It sounded like a bomb, but it was a power transformer that had exploded. Hotel's generator came on, but absolutely no info from the hotel as to what went on.

It is a very busy noisy hotel, but then again we found San Juan to be noisy overall.

Room was ok. We expected a lot more for the cost. It was clean, 4 th floor overlooking the ocean even though we specifically asked for a room on the higher level. Since we booked 10 months in advance you would think this could have been arranged.

Food cost is very high. Solera is good for lunch. Breakfast buffet is far too overpriced. Especially when you feel like you are disturbing the omelette chef when you want an omelette.

Yes - there were lots of weddings, and yes they tend to take over parts of the property, but they were not intrusive. We did get a chuckle to of the wedding where the staff had made a heart in the sand with the initials of the couple, too bad one of the pair of initials was wrong ! Oops !

Overall, good location , decent room, way tooooo expensive for what you get.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My friends and I stayed at la Concha Resort for the July 4th weekend and we will continue to do so from now on for sure... the location, the hotel ambiance, the beach, the rooms... it was all perfect and magical... and since we did not get a chance to thank them on our way out, we would like to thank Alexandra, Delia and Josue for all the assistance, recommendations, plus their funny and positive approach towards everyone 24/7, you guys rock!!!

Room Tip: Book what you would like to have because this hotel is a popular one, therefor they are most of the...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Saludos Jason R,

It’s great to read about your 4th of July weekend and how perfect and magical it was. This is to show that not all magical moments are created in Disney. We have a few here in La Concha. Your thanks have been conveyed to Alexandra, Delia and Josue. It is always comforting to our associates to read positive comments from our guests. It lets us know that we have made a difference and even more so knowing that you will return. Thank you.

Jose Cepero
Director of Guest Services
jcepero@laconcharesort.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed in La Concha Resort from June 30 to July 6 (6 nights) that were amazing. The hotel was beautiful, the workers were polite, our room was clean every day, our view was amazing, and the food was great at the pool area.
The only concern that we experience in this hotel was that the 16% fee included 2 bottles of water per day and every day we did not receive the bottles of water. We have to leave notes to the maid in order to receive them, sometimes we need to talk to the maid in person. This happen every day, so we think that the manager of the hotel give them the order not to give the bottles of water that are suppose to be included in the fee resort.
This happen too for a few days with the coffee, and mouth wash. If this is included in the service that the hotel provide to their guest, why they don't want to provide them?
If you stay in this hotel, make sure that they provide all of this amenities that are part of the 16% fees that you pay for. They will try not to give you those amenities per day.
Garage charge $15 per day. We hope that the hotel can have free parking in the future.

Room Tip: The Suite Tower Balcony was quieter and sunny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at this Resort from 07/03 to 07/09/2013 . First when we arrived at La Concha, We were so impressed with these two gentlemen, Antonio Moll and Carlos, they both worked at the Luggage delivery Services area of La Concha . They were very polite and gave us most important information of were to eat and shop. All the other guests that we meet at that Resort
said the same things about Antonio Moll and Carlos B. Antonio recommended La Perla Restaurant. The food was so delicious. The waiter recommended Tuna for me and Big Surf for my husband and my son. It was a good choices for our dinner. The services was excellent also. On the 3rd day's we ate at the Sushi bar in La Concha, the sushi that I ordered called island and California rolls. They were terrible and overprice. $14.00 for six very small pieces of Sushi. POOL area was nice and a very equipped fitness center. The beach was beautiful. All those days that we statyed at La Concha, we have a wonderful housekeepers who kept our room nice and clean. We stayed at Room#1069, Nydma, Dora and Krisia did a wonderful jobs on all the rooms cleaning .
If you wanted to have a nice relax , good services and memorize experiments at Puerto RIco .
La Concha is your Resort.

Thanks for reading my Review .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shakopee, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at this resort from 6/29 to 7/4 with my four year old toddler and stayed in the one bedroom suite. The hotel service is fantastic, everything from accommodating our request to stay on a higher floor to the waitstaff helping my son find a tree frog, it was a great stay and the service was wonderful. I was actually pleasantly surprised that although the hotel is very young and hip, I found it very family friendly.

We had a room on the 11th floor of the suite tower and the noise could still be heard down below...thank god for white noise coming from the air conditioner so if you are not used to this, be prepared to have difficulty sleeping.

The restaurants are rather expensive so we would venture out to find food...we particularly liked the Punk Burger Bistro, Ben and Jerry's (which served breakfast/lunch), Pinky's, Ali Baba's and of course Starbucks was a couple of blocks down the road (Subway and Wendy's was also close by).

Also the hotel has a bus stop right in front of it so it is very convenient to get to Old San Juan. We also rented a car for a couple of days and drove out to the roast pork highway to eat at Lechonera Los Pinos...which unfortunately was a bit disappointing.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are coming to San Juan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'm a 20 something that went on a 10 day summer getaway during the 4th of July holiday with my boyfriend. It's my 5th time traveling to Puerto Rico but my first time at La Concha.

The resort grounds are beautiful. Always clean and pristine, I enjoyed exploring it and finding different areas of the hotel to relax in. There are 3 pools, but hands down our favorite was the adults only pool overlooking the ocean. From the reviews I was concerned about noise, since we had the resort view rooms in the older building. We never had a problem and we are sensitive sleepers. Condado, the area where the hotel is located, is very lively with lots of restaurants and things to do. I felt almost all of the food in the hotel was ridiculously overpriced so I crossed the street often to get authentic Puerto Rican food for half the price. The Walgreens down the street was also helpful. We did have the breakfast buffet one morning ($25/psn for standard fare: omelette, french toast, bacon, potatoes, pastries -- not worth it.) and we ate at the very elegant Perla restaurant for our last dinner. The food was delicious. They have a huge bar in the lobby that is very modern. On the weekends it seems like one of the spots to be seen and have fun, although the music wasn't really my taste. We are in Puerto Rico I can hear Miley Cyrus anywhere, but oh well. You won't find latin music here, but it was a cool place to hang out.

So this all sounds great, why am I rating it only average? This is why I was less than impressed:

1) Service: after all these reviews about how amazing the service was I expected superior service, especially with the price tag of this resort. I'm happy many people did, but we didn't get ANY. When we were on the beach no one helped us with our chairs or getting an umbrella. We even tried tipping and they still refused to get us an umbrella, even though they were doing the same for multiple guests all around us. I was beyond confused by this. We struggled to get the cleaning service to replace the soap and lotions, even after asking them in Spanish. I also had an incredibly frustrating check in and check out experience. I had booked through priceline and at check in I asked about the noise and if it was possible to get a higher level room to avoid it. She looked at me like I was crazy, reminded me that I booked on priceline and that there were "multiple weddings" so I had to get whatever was left over... not the best "welcome." Additionally, she told me I was paid in full (her words), I asked her about any other fees they might try to put on my card, she said no, and sent me on my way. Fast forward to check out and I get a $200 bill for resort fees! This hotel charges an additional $20/day at the end of your stay. I've stayed at A LOT of resorts, but I've never had to pay this kind of resort fee and I was quite upset since I was told at check in there were no fees and I was paid in full. When I spoke to the manager, he was very dismissive and told me this is their policy and it is explicitly stated (which it is not). When I showed him it wasn't, he said he would "talk" to priceline. Needless to say, it was an unpleasant way to end our relaxing stay. I was very dissatisfied that they were deceptive about these charges and how they handled my inquiries about it. Charging $20/day for internet, towels and water is pretty ridiculous so be warned before you choose this hotel. I was extremely dissatisfied with the level of service and accommodation.

2) The Weddings: I love a nice wedding just as much as the next gal, but I found the constant weddings and reception parties to be very annoying. They would block off certain pools for the entire afternoon/evening. I understand there are 3 pools so I can easily just walk over and use a different one, but then the other pools are very crowded and not relaxing. I sometimes felt like I'm paying for using only half the hotel since I very rarely had access to any pool or area I wished. The bridal parties would be taking pictures around the hotel and having their after parties at the bar, so I felt like I was a wedding crasher rather than enjoying my vacation.

I've stayed at a lot of hotels in San Juan. This was the most expensive and I don't think I would return. Friends of ours stayed at the Conrad down the street for less with amazing grounds and service. La Concha has a great view and nice pools, but not enough to justify me spending more for less.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms over the wedding party areas (low levels)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I echo the positive reviews of the hotel. The staff from the valets to the bartenders were great. We stayed for 6 nights, so we got good exposure to the busy days and not so busy days.

Grounds: Excellent lobby and pool areas. Great beach with plenty of chairs. I actually liked their beach much better than Isla Verde around El San Juan Resort & Casino. Ours had space and the ocean was inviting whereas Isla Verde seemed more crowded and where all the jet ski rentals are. If you want to hang out, drink some frozen drinks, and swim in the water without a bunch of water sports around you, Condado wins. Great gym facing the water.

Food: We got room service a ton, ate at Solera a ton, and had dinner at Voga one night. Can't complain about any of it. Their food is expensive, but it's vacation. I actually spent more at TGI Fridays in the Miami airport than I did at Solera to provide some context. But really, between drinks, food, whatever we ordered, I always felt like the bill was $65ish for two people at Solera. Dinner at Voga was excellent - their cheese/meat plate is HUGE, so don't order another appetizer. We did the breakfast buffet on the last day, and it was mouthwatering good.

Room: Ugh. This is why it doesn't get 5 stars. We did an ocean view room in the ocean tower. The room was great, but while most rooms opened up to the main corridor, our room was stashed away in this little hallway that we shared with another room. These two rooms were by the elevator, so I imagine that's why they were set up a little differently. But every time the other door shut, it would echo loudly in that little hallway. Our first set of neighbors came in late and would go get ice or god knows what, so I couldn't fall back asleep until they were finally done going in and out of their room. Our second set of neighbors were 5 guys ready to party. I started crying when I saw them all filing into the room. It was hard enough to deal with one couple, but 5 guys ready to party? When they turned up the music, we hit the lobby to see if we could switch rooms or what could be done. They wouldn't let us go to a new room, but the guy said he'd send security up immediately. We got home later that night, the music was still blaring. I immediately called security again and they came back up and talked to the guys. They finally toned it down for the rest of their stay, but that damn door shutting and echoing in the hall. I had to sleep with earplugs in, blocking out the beautiful sound of the waves crashing and the early morning rains. :( We started looking into switching hotels and eating the cost it was so bad, but we appreciated the response of the security team. Long story short, if you go to your room after checking in and are put in one of these two rooms near the elevator that share a small hallway, RUN AWAY. Ask for a new room immediately. Trust me. You can open and shut the door yourself and see how loud it echos in that tiny hallway.

Neighborhood: I picked the Condado area because it seemed in the middle of everything. The only time we rented a car was to drive out to the rainforest, but everything was walkable. Our longest cab rides were to Old San Juan and Isla Verde, but they were about $15 each/ $30 round trip. We didn't have to worry about parking or anything else, so we were find with cabbing it. Our favorite place we ate at is walkable - Casa Lola. Ask for Alfredo, he's amazing! We walked to Pikayo, Vanderbilt Hotel for drinks, Abracadabra (about a 25 minute walk), and Olive Botique Hotel for massages. We really loved Olive and thought about switching over if the room situation didn't pan out. Only problem is no convenient beach access.

Long story short - If you're going for a trendy beach hotel with lots of amentities, La Concha is your place. Just stay away from the two rooms that share a tiny hallway by the elevator.

Room Tip: Stay away from the two rooms that share a tiny hallway by the elevator on each floor. Go for the Oce...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!