“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I stay at La Concha frequently for business. The resort is modern and beautiful. It is centrally located and convenient to lots of local restaurants. Old San Juan is a 30 minute walk if 5 minute taxi ride.

There are several good restaurants located within the hotel. My only complaint is the room service food isn't great.

There are several pools for lounging and sunbathing. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean is breathtaking. La Concha has one of the best stretches of beaches I've seen in San Juan.

The staff is delightful.

This is a lovely hotel that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a good, comfortable hotel and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Some minor irritations e.g. maintenance -the sliding wardrobe door kept getting stuck, bathroom tiles could do with replacement and houskeeping seemed to get later every day. We went out for the day at 8.30 am and the room still hadn't been done when we came back at 4.15 pm. Breakfast was included in the room rate, but then it appears you are limited to 4 items which includes beverages!! Apart from that the hotel has lots of space and amenities, the beach is small but plenty of beds and free towels, lovely swimming pool with bar/restaurant alongside. Good choice of bars and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, or a short cab ride to Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I booked this hotel in December for our trip on 5/5 - 5/10 by reading most of the reviews. Even after I made the reservations, I continued to read the reviews both good and bad. I wondered if I had made the right decision when deciding to stay here. I am absolutely glad that we got to stay at this hotel.

We arrived around 11:30 PM and the Valet folks were the first to greet us. They were so cheerful and genuine in their welcome greetings. They set the stage for our stay and I knew I had chosen the right place. The lobby was "open and refreshing". Very, very nice indeed. Checkout was quick since we arrived late in the evening. We had a Junior Suite with ocean view. Room was fantastic. Huge room with plenty of space. We really liked the frosted closet doors. With the light on, it made for a very romantic atmosphere. Bed was comfortable and sheets were clean as I remember reading a review saying the sheets were dirty. The shower was a little "awkward" and the bathroom was on the small side for a suite but it was not a big deal. The bathroom floor did get a little wet when the shower was used but nothing a towel on the floor couldn't solve. When we woke up the next morning, we were greeted by a gorgeous view of the ocean and beach. It was breath taking and there were lots of moments where we stood at the window or outside on the balcony and enjoyed the view we had. The valets, the room and the view............things were going well. In the morning we decided to have breakfast at Voga, Italian Grill and Camille was super, super nice. So nice we went back the next morning for breakfast and had her as our waitress again. BTW - We did eat at the Voga for dinner too and Shirley was just as outstanding. Maid service was on time with no problems. The pool area was always clean. The beach area was gorgeous after clean up of course. We walked along the beach every morning and did see some trash but it was not enough to damper our vacation mood. When we walked down to The Marriott we noticed they also had trash on their stretch of beach too. Kudos to the great group of guys who work as Valets and to Camille and Shirley at Voga. There are so many others who made our stay wonderful and relaxing. It is definitely the people who work here that made our vacation enjoyable. We shall return.

I got an excellent price of a little less than $200 a night and it was well worth it. There are some minor suggestions to help improve this fine establishment. A towel rack outside of the shower would be nice. Stains on the rug even though only a few and small should be removed or carpet replaced. I know that sounds drastic but you got to do what it takes to reach the next level. We did have 4 - 5 very minor stains on the rug and if nothing could get the stains out....replace the carpet. I noticed some places needed minor touch up painting. One example is the building below Perla. It could use a nice coat of white paint to eliminate the water stains by the windows. I think this would make the beach much more attractive. Look at possibly getting new beach umbrellas in the near future. Check the pool area for tables that wobble and repair or replace. Minor suggestions that can make this place better and EXCELLENT.

Room Tip: Get a lower floor as the elevator has no A/C so your ride up to your floor is not too bad. We stayed...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis R, General Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I am happy to learn about your recent experience at our resort. We believe that the comfort and well-being of our guests is of utmost importance, therefore, it is helpful for us to learn what areas need improvement in order to ensure that you and our guests have the best stay possible. I have addressed your suggestions with our management team and will certainly create initiatives for implementation.

Again, thanks for your feedback and if future plans bring you to PR, do not hesitate to contact me.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
GM
lrivera@laconcharesort.com
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just finishing up a weeks stay at La Concha.
First impressions were a bit of a miss for me...but there were really good things (more on that)
We arrived via taxi ($20) from the airport about 2pm--Greeted by Felix (great guy--super dependable and friendly)
Check in was seamless and we were given a pager to alert us when our room was ready.
We bellied up to the bar and felt basically ignored for quite a while. Drinks were good and the mahi mahi chicharrones, root chips with guac/pico were great. Bartenders not so chatty (used to more personal attention at home in Boston)
Our luggage was in our room when we went up..room is beautiful. We were in an ocean front room on the eleventh floor. Floor to ceiling slider windows that we opened at night and were lulled to sleep by crashing waves (the only good thing about a rough beach).King size bed super duper comfortable with great down pillows, soft sheets. Room is white, full of light, and has a sound proof door that separates the living area from entryway and bathroom. Bathroom was small but nice. Loved the rain shower. Plenty of towels. Small fridge that gets stocked with water. Coffee for machine is lousy--don't bother drinking it. Housekeeping done midday, never an issue except for one day when it was done late.
Pools are pretty (upper deck pool off main pool is lovely, infinity style overlooking main pool). The infinity pool near the beach is lackluster and looks a little shabby and dirty.
We noticed a lot of trash both on the beach and around the pools on our arrival day, but that seemed to correct as the week progressed.
Food and drinks are expensive here. Be warned. The Sangria del Toro was delicious ($10 and worth it). Wine is ridiculous. Basically $10 for a five ounce pour (buy a bottle of their Albarino--lovely white and about $40). They have sturdy plastic wine glasses that look real they serve it in poolside. Ruby was an absolute doll...friendly, professional, warm and has lots of ideas for restaurants, etc. Loved her. If she was my neighbor, we would hang out, a lot!
The hot tubs are nice and set away from the pools and were never crowded. Always a chair to be found, soft towels at the towel hut with cold water available at all times.
Beach--not so good. Extremely rough waves...always a red flag hanging and undertow that will pull you out). Only spent one day there..no so enjoyable.
There was one unfortunate incident, when we were approached by one of the bar servers out in front of the hotel on our way out to OSJ. She said that we did not pay our bill from the previous day. I paid in cash ($40 inluding a $7 tip). The day we were there there was a wedding going on and was quite busy. The server took our check and payment but apparently placed it down near the bar without checking inside). The only thing I can fathom is that one of her untrustworthy coworkers lifted the cash. It was embarrassing and unnecessary. Why would we skip out on a $30 tab at the hotel we are staying at? Odd, very odd.
We only ate at the hotel a handful of times. Over priced and way too many choices outside the property. Breakfast at Voga was great. I forget the young man's name that waited on us, but he was lovely. Get the crab cake benedict and a passion fruit mimosa..heaven. The little banana frappe they serve you in a small wine glass is lovely. Coffee was good. Sushi in the lobby was excellent--spicy tuna maki roll and pork dumplings were awesome. Johannes was a great server and the two sushi preparers were also great.
The bar is hopping on weekend nights (glad we had a high floor room) and there are always some kind of function/wedding or event going on). Its certainly a beautiful people hang out.
We went next door to Ben and Jerry's for breakfast three times (go right outside hotel)--always great. Bright and cheery--awesome owner there...excellent food, coffee, sandwiches, ice cream and service. In and outdoor seating. Ran us about $18 for two cafe con leches, omelettes served with toast and fruit. Go there every day! (review to follow)
Condado has plenty of restaurants (Peruriccan fusion, Bar Gitano for Spanish tapas, Casa Lola for upscale PR food, etc etc). All within walking distance. Adorable little boutique store across the street called Pina Coladas). Go for a drink at Oceano--go left outside hotel and take a left on Vendig St..go to the end. Food is horrible but the view is lovely.
For a special dinner, go to Marmalade in OSJ (make reservations)..what a great dinner (separate review to follow)
Also went to Euforia for a spectacular spa day (see separate review to follow).
Bus runs out in front of the hotel--free but tips welcomed--runs to OSJ every 30-40 minutes--clean, with A/C)
DO NOT GET CAB FROM HOTEL--go out on the street and fetch one on your own..you will save bundles! Not sure what the deal is here, but rest assured, you are better on your own.
We went to La Isla Verde via cab for the day today..spent the day on the beach. Cab ($17)dropped us off right at the beach entrance next to the Intercontinental. We rented chairs, table and umbrella for about $20 total)..set up camp in from the Mediterranean Cafe and got great service from Vivan who took excellent care of us all day) Great day--great beach.
Would I stay here again...perhaps. Condado is a great location. Beaches are terrible, but the local flavor and offerings would bring us back here.

Room Tip: High floor--ocean front.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Only just got around to writing this. We booked an ocean front room with a balcony and on arrival told we had been upgraded, we did have a lounge in our new room but the balconies overlooked the road, so was not very pleased with that. The room was a little tired, the closet door was missing and there were a few other maintenance issues. Would recommend the pool side restaurant for lunch and we enjoyed cocktails around the pool at night after dinner. The beach is not very big but there are plenty of sun beds. There is the annoying ice-cream seller who stands next to your lounger ringing his bell!!!! I enjoyed my time in Puerto Rico but will try a different hotel else next time as this was not nice enough for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Man this place was beautiful! I spent 5 nights and 6 days and had the hardest time getting out of the comfy beds. Mainly because of the ocean view and the soothing sounds of the waves crashing. But, you must because this hotel has so much to offer and is located near so much. There are so many more pros so i will list the con first.
1. This is probably my fault for not reading the fine print but the hotel charges the full amount of your stay plus an additional $300 deposit for incidentals. But, they will allow you to charge or separate cards if necessary.
The pros
1. Lots of natural light. There are windows all around so that you do not miss any part of Puerto Rico in all of it's glory.I'm not sure if this is a green property but they do a great job of not being wasteful if not. The lobby has huge glass doors that open to the plush courtyard. Even though it did not rain, if it had you can sit inside but feel the breeze without getting wet. The courtyard is beautifully decorated with comfortable seating, a bar, 2 restaurants (Sushi and one with the best sliders my mouth has EVER tasted please get the sliders) 2 pools and 2 hot tubs towards the back. You have to see it to believe it but pictures do this place NO justice.
2. For those who like to gamble, there is a great casino equipped all the tables and games your heart can desire. I didn't spend much time in there at all.
3. Though there were not many kids at the hotel, there were a few. So it was nice to have an adults only pool on the backside of the hotel facing the ocean.
4. Though I never made it there because I would not get out of the bed in the mornings (and.... I definitely preferred to be in the ocean), there is a SUPER nice gym with all the necessary equipment. The best part about this gym is that it is facing the ocean.
5. Liquor store is across the street.
6. Cabs are really inexpensive, like really cheap. So we went to Old San Juan which is AMAHZINNNNNNNNGLY BEAUTIFUL, some club that we didn't get in at another hotel but the hotel was gorgeous as well.
7. If anything be sure that you go to Old San Juan it is a beautiful city, with beautiful architecture and of course the forts have the most beautiful views. Even the graveyards were beautiful and so peaceful. I would totally want to go out like that! If you are there on the weekend the night livens up...i mean all the way up! We went a Friday night and they closed the streets down around 6. Had vendors with great food and all the alcohol that you can drink.
8. Another must is to walk around the hotel there is a lot going on. On Saturday they had a farmers market-food was so good which leads to my other point....
9.DO WALK DOWN THE STREET TO DENNY'S. THEY HAVE A BAR!
10. In Old San Juan there is a tiny restaurant with great food. Of course I do not know the name but it is closer to Starbucks. They have a dish that is chicken with saluted onions. I don't know what saluted onions are but my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It was divine.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view room! But, the pool view is awesome too. Oh and do eat breakfast at the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Roslyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my fifth time staying in San Juan and my first time staying at La Concha. In my opinion La Concha blows away all of the prior hotels I have stayed at in San Juan, and really anywhere for tha matter. I had a simple room inthe older tower with an Ocean view.......let me just say...........OMG. The view will blow you away. My room was 903, all the way at the end of the hall wawy from the elevator. At first I thought it would be a big deal, but it wastn't . One night I asked for a walk back to my room because I was was afraid to go by myself because of the layout of the halls leading from the elevator to the room, it was not a problem. The only flaw this hotel has is the design of the shower....it is bizarre. The face of the shower has one large glass plate that does not move and it is completely see through, next to it is open air, so you can not close uourself into a shower. The open air portion of the shower has a lip built up to prevent the water from going over into the bathroom, but it doesn't work very well. I was actually shivering inthe shower because you can't close it.....on an up note if you have a great body and you like to watch yourself showering you could stare at yourself in the mirror while you shower.......not exactly my cup of tea:)

I did not meet FELIX my first day, he clearly must have been off, because when I saw him on the second day, I could tell from 100 feet away that it was FELIX!!! He is just that friendly and personable!!! On my second day I made my way out to the beach by myself, and a nice security guard approached me named CESAR. I thought he was going to ask me for I.D or a wristband, instead he proceeded to ask me if I needed help or an explanation of the resort. I said yes and he asked if I would mind if he gave me a three minute explanation. Well, three minutes later, I understood where the pools were, how to get to them, where to find towels, where to find water, where to get a cool towel for refreshment, where to eat.....etc. He was a very sweet man who was very helpful, he even ran and got me towels because the towels were actually located by the lobby pool, and I was already all the way down at the beach....now that was service:)

We ate at Cafe Angel for a quick lunch when we arrived and breakfast the day we left and it was very good food, reaondable prices and excellent service and drinks. We had lunch at Waikkiki which is to the right when you are walking out of the hotel maybe four or five blocks away, it is a small place that had both"American" and "Puerto Rican" menu items. We had to pick a place like that because one of the people we were traveling with would not eat anything but a hamburger. We had tappas at Bar Gitano and it was amazing. Also, we ate in a Mexican place called Tijuana's and it was fantastic.

I wish I could stay at the hotel everytime I am in San Juan!!!!!!

Room Tip: I was onthe ninth floor ocean view and I did not hear any of the clubbing sounds from the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!