I stayed for 6 days in March with family. It has its pros and cons, as most places do. However, for the amount I paid each night (including resort fee) I definitely expected more.
Pros are - beautiful central location, minutes from airport and Old San Juan; wonderful staff in all areas of the hotel; beautiful lobby and even more beautiful pool areas; nice beach. Definitely get an ocean view room and you'll wake up each morning to the beautiful crashing waves right at your window. Even though its on a crowded street once you enter the lobby you are in another world. Nice casino. Ocean view rooms were very quiet - I did not hear any street noise or noise from adjoining rooms.
Cons - 1) the bathroom. Not only was the shower stall extremely moldy (literally - black mold everywhere), but instead of a shower curtain or sliding door to seal the shower area, the step-in shower only had a fixed glass wall that covered half the length of the shower area. So half the shower stall had nothing to prevent water from seeping out all over the bathroom floor. Making matters worse is that there is a large rainhead showerhead in the middle of the shower (not at the end of the shower) so water was more apt to collect and spill out. The first night we used the shower it flooded out of the shower onto the bathroom floor and seeped outside the bathroom door into the corridor, soaking the carpet - someone came up with a plunger and determined the drain was "clogged." However, we continued to flood every day, using most of our towels to sop up the water on the floor. Between the mold and the daily flooding, it really took away from our hotel experience.
2) General dinginess of room - dirty and worn out carpet. Needs updating. Refrigerator door fell off and was hanging by one hinge. However beds were comfortable.
3) Housekeeping - very unreliable. Most days did not come until around 5 PM, just when we were arriving back at our room to shower for the evening and for dinner. One day they didnt' come at all.
4) Wifi - was terrible. Even though I called several times about the Wifi and was told by their "tech support" person that they needed to fix a router, this never happened in my entire 6-day stay.
5) Elevator - 1 of 3 elevators was broken for almost our entire stay.
6) Extremely expensive food - I know its a hotel but the prices were ridiculous, particularly the continental breakfast. Go to Ben and Jerry's next door instead - great prices and great food. (yes they serve breakfast and lunch at this Ben and Jerry's)
7) Beach - I don't know if its supposed to be a private beach for just hotel guests but the 2 days we stayed at the beach area people who clearly were not hotel guests were on the beach, using the hotel beach chairs, umbrellas, and even brought their dogs.
8) Wait staff - we ate many times at the hotel's restaurants. While the wait staff was without exception friendly and charming, at Solera (the poolside restaurant) it always took an inordinate amount of time to actually receive our food and drinks. At one point, we received our DINNERS before our first drinks had arrived, even though the bar area was literally next to me. It seems like the waiters do not fill the orders as they take them, but gather up many many orders and fill them all at once. So a drink or appetizer that should take about 5 or maybe 8 minutes to arrive takes 20 minutes or longer. Or maybe its the kitchen's fault, I don't know. It was annoying and detracted from the experience.
9) for those with kids - the pools are nice but on the smallish side - and there is no "fun" pool with a slide or anything of that nature for those who look for that sort of thing in a hotel pool. I had older kids so they didn't care.
Overall - the property is so pretty that its a shame these drawbacks diminished from the experience. It would be worth the $$$ if they updated the rooms and bathrooms, upgraded Wifi, improved service at Solera, etc. Next time I will try somewhere else.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your review and expressing the positive and negative. I always say that our guests are the voice that allows us to become better at what we do. We are committed to ensure that each guest has a wonderful experience. I do regret that this was not so during your stay and for this our management team will review your comments and make certain the proper changes are executed to ensure these cons are converted in pros. We have begun these changes with our wifi connections. Individual modems have been placed in each room to widen the room bandwidth for speedy service. The beach itself is public as are all beaches in PR, however our hotel guests are not charged for umbrellas or beach chairs.
NassauMom_418, thank you again for your review. We do hope that you could give us another opportunity to prove to you the true service offered at our hotel. Please contact me if that opportunity should be granted.
At your service,
La Concha Resort
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.