“Not as promised, needs an honesty and wifi upgrade” 2 of 5 stars

#BeachPlease Package
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia
“Not as promised, needs an honesty and wifi upgrade”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Beautiful property and location, great service - friendly, attentive, and detail oriented. However, the "ocean view" junior suite has a huge ugly concrete structure blocking it and is thus only a partial ocean view. The free wifi is hardly usable in this room as well, slow and intermittent, not suitable for business or personal use.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Saludos AdamSPhiladelphia,

Your concerns regarding our wifi have been taken care of. We have recently upgraded our connection by having individual modems in each room therefore allowing speedy service without having to share your bandwidth with other guests by relying on antennas that cover an entire floor. We are confident that opon your return you will immediately notice the change.

At your service,

Jose Cepero
Director of Guest Services
jcepero@laconcharesort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,643)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After reading review after, review after review. I finally booked a trip at La Concha Resort in Condado area of Puerto Rico. I was very cautious because although most reviews were good. I'm a complete hotel snob and I wasn't sure if I would like the urban environment of the San Juan area. I can happily report that the trip was great! It was a nice quick getaway which began with a direct flight and a quick reasonable ($17) taxi ride to the resort. Definitely on the hotel strip but once you cross the lobby threshold you are surprised with a retro-hip atmosphere with waterfalls and a swanky bar area. The colors are cool and inviting and the staff was friendly and helpful at every encounter. The check in process was running a little behind because our room wasn't ready (a common complaint of reviews I had read), but the line wasn't long and we browsed the area happily. We had booked a Partial Ocean View Suite in the new tower. I definitely would recommend the newer tower and a high floor. The high floor is imperative for a partial ocean view otherwise you will face mostly rooftops of other buildings. I conveyed my dissatisfaction with the view and we were offered a switch for the following day to a better room on a higher floor promised by the manager. The hotel is very large with 4 pools and several restaurants. Although there was a lot of activity, we never felt crowded or over stimulated. I'm not sure if I would take my children there as the water is rough and I saw no kids programs but come families were there and the suites included kitchens and a dining area which would be suitable for a family. There are poolside, sushi, fancy and casual restaurants all on property. There are many off property options for a reasonable price. The hotels rooms were nice and the bathroom was modern, sleek and clean. The showers are huge!! There are two flat screens in every suite and a modern seating area. The hotel is within walking distance to Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Starbucks,Walgreens, Denny's and many local bars and restaurants most of which stay open until 3 or 4am.The area is very safe and the property though in the city has security and we saw no incidents of any kind in or around the area. There are police in the neighborhood and you feel protected without wondering why they are around. There are new and older condominiums and other hotels close by. Old San Juan is a short taxi ride away ($15 and about 15 minutes) and there are cute places to eat, shop and visit the DonQ rum museum for a free sample...The hotel does not have a spa but there is a decent one Zen Spa across the street next door to Louis Vuitton where I got a same day appointment. The massage therapist was fabulous!!! All in all I enjoyed the resort. I would not consider it super high end but it was very nice and the price was reasonable for a four star.Only small details made it lacking compared to other fancy hotels I have stayed in so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with little to complain about.

Room Tip: High Floor. New Tower.Ocean View Suite
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

we loved our time at la concha and wish we could have stayed longer. I will start by saying that the staff here is fantastic from the minute you pull up the valet and porters are awesome and I think we met Miguel at the front desk who was more than helpful. The seating area and lobby are beautiful and relaxing. The decor is modern and beautiful as is the resort. The pool areas are great and the infinity pool overooking ocean is amazing. The beach is awesome too and they offer chairs and umbrellas. The atmosphere is great. My only warning is that if you are pool view and city view it can get pretty loud with partiers!! and till really late or early morning! But I was so tired at end of days i didnt care. If you must have quiet ,stay somewhere else or pay the extra to get ocean view. Rooms are really comfy and clean. I loved the rain shower head and it was so nice to have a private balcony facing the pool for morning coffees and late night drinks.There are many close restaurants to walk to and fast food as well. Walgreens is about 2 blocks down the steet , for alcohal and snacks or toiletries. Hotel is the perfect distance between the airport and cruise port. Cost us $17.00 to get to the port and about the same from the airport. I highly recommend staying here and hope to return

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We only had a weekend for a celebratory escape and La Concha was perfection. It has a spacious South Beach feel to the decor, wonderful pools and facilities. Loved the adult-only pool, but unfortunately it was closed on our second day due to a wedding. The food and bar choices were high-quality and the service was fantastic. The gym was huge and what a view! We would definitely visit again for a weekend escape. My only criticism would be that the bathroom- in particular the shower could have been cleaned better. The tile seemed a little grimy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great location midway between International airport and Old San Juan. On the Caribbean with Freshwater alternatives such as an infinity pool and Spa. Staff was extremely helpful, courteous, and professional. Restaurants served wonderful (if pricey) food in first class resort atmosphere. Views were spectacular.

Room Tip: Ocean views are spectacular
Kirkland, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Let me start this by saying that if you get an ocean view room (standard or suite) this hotel is a completely different experience. We stayed here twice during our vacation to PR and Virgin Islands. The first time we had a "city view" room not knowing that the music from the casino and 3 bars within 100 yards would keep us up all night (and I mean all night). If you are partying this is the place, we weren't. We went to the lobby to try to exchange rooms but the person at the desk "couldn't do anything" for us as all the ocean view rooms were booked and I was told that the manager wasn't "available". However, there were some really nice features, the tower side has an adults only pool that looks out over the ocean with a great view. It's an infinity pool that is quiet, relaxing, warm, and there weren't any people in it the times we went swimming. The valet's outside were outstanding and very friendly and eager to help us with whatever we needed. Inside, the suite was excellent with full size appliances. The ice maker in the fridge was a highlight after a long hot day.

Our second stay was night and day better even if only for one night. The desk person got us an ocean room in place of the city view one on the 4th floor. It was outstanding. Much quieter and more comfortable. The food in the hotel was good but the big draw was the Dunkin Donuts / Baskin Robbins & Subway across the street and Cold Stone Creamery down the block to the east (we didn't get there). Also for your sunburn needs, there's a Walgreens about 2 or 3 blocks west. There are also a lot of restaurants within walking distance that had very reasonable prices and good food. The tower suite had a broken elevator (there's only 2) when we got there so there were some long waits to get to our room and there were other areas that seemed to need some maintenance although you wouldn't notice unless you really looked.

The staff did a really good job from what we could tell. They were there when we needed them and virtually invisible when we didn't need them. I really liked that. Although I rated this hotel a 3, it has it's merits and is in a great location. If you keep in mind that you want to be in the ocean side no matter what, it would be a 4 star or better. I can say that I would go back here now that I know what to expect.

Room Tip: Choose one on the ocean side or you'll hear the bars and casino all night. We loved Suite # 454...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The LA Concha is a beautiful, Art Deco structure, modernly equipped, dramatic ocean views, with a great beach and numerous eateries. We had a wonderful 10th floor suite in the tower, complete with an outside seating area.

The kitchen is equipped with refrigerator/freezer, cook top, microwave, and of course wine glasses! The living room has comfortable modern seating, flat screen TV, and a dining area. The King bed is wonderful, beautifully adorned with a desk fully equipped for families with multiple-media requiring charging--that is always a major gripe, looking for a plug in for the phone, iPad and Kindle.

But the best part of the La Concha is the service; from arrival, through check-in/check out you know you are a valued customer. It wasn't long before the entire staff addressed us by name every time we encountered them.

The hotel has excellent restaurants satisfying every desires from casual dinning to gourmet. We tried it all, was delighted by every meal.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A tower suite above the 8th floor provides a glorious view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!