“Great Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family of five ( kids 21, 18 and15) just returned from a terrific week at the La Concha. My family is used to staying mostly 5 star hotels. Although our stay started on a negative note the La Concha more then met our needs and we had a great time. I highly recommend it!! First the negative: I had booked two rooms in the new ocean tower (one suite with full ocean view, full balcony and one room on the same floor for my 3 kids with a partial ocean view. I had email confirmations for both rooms and a confirmed price of $349/room and had called the hotel 2x just to insure we were all set as i am a bit particular when it comes to booking a room. When I checked in the clerk told me that they were putting my kids in the older tower and my wife and I in the new tower in a suite with a partial ocean view. Further i was informed that the price for the suite was an additional $75/night. Long story short we received the rooms we wanted on our second night with a compromised price that was fair as clearly the person who made the original reservation had screwed up. This was the only negative.

Other then the initial interaction described above, the customer service was excellent from the maid service and concierge (Stephanie is great!) to the waitress/waiters to the guys on the beach who pleasantly bring you loungers, towels and umbrellas. Felix, the official greeter is as wonderful as other respondents have reported. Other items:

1. beach - very nice beach with great waves but small children definitely need to be supervised.
2. pools - several pools; the best is the little used adult (15 and older) pool located away from the main areas. It is an infinity pools that faces the beach and is wonderful.
3. dining -- we ate a few breakfasts and several lunches at the hotel. The food was excellent but pricey as you might expect at a hotel. My wife discovered Ben and Jerry's right next door and next to the beach which served excellent breakfasts and lunch for less than 1/2 the price.
4. Lobby bar - very hyp, great energy and vibes
5. customer service - excellent and always with a smile
6. We ate at several restaurants most within a 10 minute walk or taxi ride. We are used to dining at fine establishments and these places did not disappoint. They include; Casa Lola, Jam Rum and Bar, Santaella and Jose Enriques. Ropa de Viera was just average.
7. Activities. We booked the Bio Bay Kayak trip with Pure Adventure. They did a fine job but i don't understand why people rave about it. Admittedly, my family is very active and we have done alot of hiking all over the world as well as camping, skiing, whitewater rafting, etc. Kayaking in the pitch dark through a narrow mangrove was a fun family activity but swishing the water with your hand to see the luminescent bacteria was just not that big a deal. But we had a great day. We drove one hour to Seven Seas Beach (one of the nicest on the island and adjoining a nature preserve) in Fajardo at 2pm, hung out on the beach, at 5pm stumbled on a spectacular restaurant (Calizo) with a terrific waitress (Chauley) 2 minutes from Seven Seas and then drove the ten minutes to the bay for the kayak trip. All in all, a great day.

8. Other activities; Don't miss hiking in the rainforest. it is a 45 minute drive from la concha and get their early (before 9;30) to beat the tour groups. The trails are well marked and a tour is not needed. The popular la mina trail is easy and fun as you hike along a river to the falls where you can take a dip if you are there before the crowds arirve. The Juan Diego Falls trail is very short but fun. After a 5 minute walk you arrive at a water crowded with tourists. But if you climb the muddy trail (short but steep) requiring using the root system for handholds to the left of the falls you will be rewarded by another water fall 3x the size of the first one with practically nobody there. We had a blast in the pools under the falls and had it to ourselves except for one couple and their son. Lastly, my son and I returned 2 days later to hike the El Yunque trail to the peak. The ranger will tell you it is a 4 hour round trip hike. it only took us 1hour and 15 minutes to the peak and we were rewarded with beautiful views. However, the trail is very, very slippery especially on the way down. Just before the peak there is a short 20 foot side trail to the right tht brings you out on a rock. You get a 360 degree view when the clouds break and a 3000/ drop on 3 sides. That was very cool!

Great hotel and great trip!

Room Tip: Terrific room - 854 - new ocean tower suite, full ocean view and full balcony. Spacious, clean and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,452)
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a great 3 night stay because we were celebrating my friends birthday.....Disappointed in the Accomodations.....room wasn't vacumed...only had one chair to sit on.....not much lighting in the bathroom.....Thought it was overpriced for what we paid....surrounding area had a Dunking Donuts that keeps the door locked (they have to buzz you in)......Staff was good.......but would probably check out the Marriot down the street.....Water at beach was to rough to swim...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As someone who likes to visit Puerto Rico often, I've stayed at this hotel a few times: for a week and a half in June/July 2012, for a couple of nights in August 2012, and for a couple of nights in November 2012. Each time has never failed to disappoint. The hotel is in a perfect location-- it's beachfront, near all the great Ashford Avenue shops, next to Ventana al Mar (where you will often find concerts and other events taking place) and near several great restaurants.

The staff has ALWAYS been very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I was always greeted with a smile and they have always gone out of their way to make sure that my needs were met. On my returning visits the staff has remembered me by name and greet me with a "Welcome back" or even better, "Welcome home." The entire wait staff at Solera (especially Omar, Carlos, and Brock) have always provided great service and has been more than helpful in giving advice about things to do outside of the hotel. Jose, the director of room services, was also very helpful in getting me to extend my stay in July and even allowed me to stay in a one-bedroom suite at the standard room rate. The bellhops are ALWAYS very friendly and helpful-- no complaints there either.

The rooms are very clean, up to date with flat screen TVs and iPod docks, and the beds are VERY comfortable. However, some of the rooms have semi-see through shower walls which are connected to the main bedroom... Great for couples, but a little strange for friends (as my girlfriends and I learned during our first trip). The infinity pools are beautiful and are always kept at a nice temperature. This definitely comes in handy when you want to go for a late night swim (the pools are all 24 hours). The outdoor adult infinity pool was a beautiful way to watch the sun rise at the beach! The fitness facility is one of the best I've EVER seen in a hotel, and also has partial views of the beach (a great motivator). The lobby bar always has some kind of entertainment going on, which is very convenient when you don't feel like going out. Other reviewers have complained about the noise from the lobby bar; however, I've never found it to be a problem. The casino in the hotel is nice to have, but brings in people who are not staying at the hotel. Not a problem if you tend to mind your own business during your trip, but something to keep in mind for those who are bothered by that kind of thing.

My ONLY complaints are that 1.) The food and drinks are pretty pricy (a little ridiculous at times), but I guess that's only to be expected from such a beautiful, upscale hotel. 2.) Some of the corner rooms in the main building (not the suite tower) are connected to other rooms by a locked door and you can hear just about everything going on in the other room. They have installed a second door to kind of block the sound, but if you're looking for complete silence in your room, you may find this a huge problem.

All in all, yes, La Concha can be pricy, but you get what you pay for and considering all of the excellent amenities and wonderful staff, it is WELL worth the price. While many don't go to Puerto Rico to stay in the room, the La Concha definitely won't make you feel bad if you do hang out at the hotel for a day or two-- there's plenty to do and you will still feel as though you were on the vacation of a lifetime.

Room Tip: I'd recommend staying in an one of the ocean view rooms or suites. The city view rooms are nice...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have no major complaints about La Concha - it was a wonderful location, the staff was always friendly and very accommodating, The pools (all 4 of them) were beautiful and the beach was great. The hotel room was also beautiful! The floor to ceiling windows were a breathtaking touch to our ocean front room. I didn't even mind spending time in the room. A minor complaint about the room we were in was the door outside our main door was SO loud it woke me up a few times.

The food we did have at the hotel was very good, but we learned quickly that the food and drink here is incredibly over priced. If you walk down the street less than a block you can find dinner and drinks for half the price.

If you want the full resort experience - this place is for you, just be ready to pay through the nose for it :)

Room Tip: the ocean front rooms above the lobby were wonderful. I believe we were 617... Great views, but try...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Cons-
- our room had a mildew room. The blinds was likely the source as they smelled horrible.
- we could here everything outside through the hotel room..from hall conversations, car alarms in the parking lot, etc. first nigh woken up several times.
- cost versus value. Although booked an ocean front room at $315 a night, really paid $406 a night after taxes and resort fee.
- although we had an ocean front room and had sliding doors to open, there was not a balcony. All it had was the balcony railing.
- rest rooms in the pool area could have been kept up better. No toilet paper, etc
- the main pool although nice, was a bit gross. There were bubbles of yellowish substance in the corners.. At first I thought perhaps someone spilled a cocktail.. But since it was there the next day.. I don't know.

Pros
- In an area with many food options in all price ranges and quality. Close to a 24 hour Walgreens that carries some food staples, even fruit.
- lobby is very pretty
- staff friendly and professional
- beautiful views

• Stayed February 2013
ArroyoA, Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

I sincerely appreciate your good and not good comments about your recent visit to La Concha Resort. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience and feedback like yours is our most significant tool to continue to improve our services. I am surely dissatisfied that we were not able to provide you with a pleasant stay. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences experienced with your accommodations, public spaces and the excessive sun tan lotion residual in our main pool. We will take immediate corrective action and we will get better on these areas.
Please feel free to contact me at any time if you decide to visit us once again in the future and I will ensure a superior stay.

Alfredo Arroyo
Hotel Manager
aarroyo@laconcharesort.com
Saskatoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at La Concha overnight prior to a cruise. What a beautiful hotel in a great location on Condado beach. The beach is great. Because it is at the end of the beach it is very private. We had booked a one bedroom suite for two couples and got an upgrade. Alas, the upgrade put us in a one bedroom suite that only accomodated one couple in the bedroom and a single pull out couch in the main sitting area. One of us ended up sleeping on a blow up mattress - not the most comfortable - but when we let them know they ended up knocking $60 off of the room for our trouble. Wouldn't have wanted to do that for any more nights but for one night it was fine. Lots of restaurant choices. We had lunch right across the street at a Puerto Rican eatery that had excellent food at a good price. Close to Starbucks and a large pharmacy/drug store. The staff was great. There is an adults only pool area that is very nice. It's about 10 minutes from the airport and about 10 minutes to the cruiseport by taxi. About a $15 cab ride (plus $1/bag). Would book this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We planned a surprise trip to San Juan for my friend's 30th birthday. After narrowing down the hotel options we went with La Concha and for a group of 6 girls in their late twenties to early thirties this was a great choice.

We arrived around 9:00 PM on a Thursday night and check-in was easy. Our room was mostly clean. We found some leftover trash from the previous guests in the closet, but just put it in the hallway for pick up.

All six of us were sharing a suite with 2 double beds and a pull-out couch. We immediately called down for linens for the pull-out and extra towels. They quickly responded with what we needed. The room was spacioius, but of course felt crowded with all six of us. It wasn't a huge problem, given that we spent little time at all in the room.

The pool and beach area were comfortable, but if you're hoping to get sun mid to late afternoon, your only choice is the beach. We started every morning in the "adults only" infinity pool and moved right after lunch to the beach so we didn't lose sunlight. The service was fine. While it certainly wasn't the best I've had in the Carribean it was adequete and usually done with a smile. On Saturday, when the three day weekend officially kicked off, it got more crowded, but it wasn't unbearable.

On our first night at the resort, we ate poolside and enjoyed the selection of tapas choices. The cocktails were good and the ambience near the pool was nice.

Overall, the resort was good and if I went back with a group of friends, I would return. However, I was going as just a couple on a romantic trip, I would find something else. This place is a little "scene-y".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!