“Lovely spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
US
“Lovely spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Only have positive things to say! Wonderful hotel, lovely staff, great location - easy access to airport, old san Juan, etc. we stayed in the new tower and were pleased with our entire stay. We enjoyed dinner one night at la perla restaurant - divine! I suppose the only negative would be the staff in the Italian restaurant on site - the hostess and waitress were so unfriendly that we left and walked around the corner to the Italian restaurant. One tip: go eat at Ben and Jerry's for breakfast. Delicious and super close!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,380)
indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for one night at La Concha after returning from a cruise. The staff was very nice and helpful upon check in. The rooms are nice and I loved the Aveda products in the bathroom. If you looked closely, though, many things in the room were just a bit on the shabby side. There were some kind of air-conditioning units outside our room and it sounded like someone was vaccuuming right outside our door. This sound never stopped during our stay. The elevator was extremely slow. The beach is beautiful, as are the pools. Night life looks very lively but we were too tired to participate. Overall a nice stay, but if I returned I'd probably check out another place.

Riverdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is the second time my wife and I visited PR - years ago we stayed at The Water Club, which was nice, too - but this time we wanted to stay at a place that had more of everything.

We chose La Concha based on the reviews here at Trip Adv. and let me tell you the place doesn't disappoint. The first thing we noticed upon arrival were all the smiling and accommodating staff which remained all the way up until the second we left. The grounds are well kept with a pool or beach accessible at every turn. Our room, 1020, was stunning (see the pictures) and we were instantly hooked at our ocean view - the window opens, too! We ate at the pool side restaurant Solera a lot and the food never disappointed. They have a great cocktail list, but we stuck to the beer and bubbly - PR can be notorious for their weak mixed drinks.

We never ate La Perla, the high-end restaurant on site, but I'm sure it is quite good compared to the quality of food throughout the hotel. The restaurant itself is beautiful with wonderful ocean views, but like I said, we never ate there. We also didn't try the Italian grill or Sushi restaurant there either, but like the above, I'm sure it is good. The high cost of food here, as it is written throughout these reviews, are accurate, but in my opinion the service, view, pools, beach, make it all worth it for me.

The beach is nice and sometimes wavy, but not so much that you'll feel you can't wade in now and then (I'm no swimmer by any means and I spent a lot of time in the water). The pools are great and warm and you should get to the infinity pool a little earlier to keep in the sun, but that's not a big deal at all.

There is service at every point outside and around the resort, servers waiting to take care of you with a smile. We got drinks and food at the beach, pools, etc. and it was always a premium and convenient experience.

There was a good mix of families with small children (we didn't mind although we did escape our own kids for this trip) and travelers young and old and it never felt out of hand. The whole place maintains a good vibe and like I said, the staff is very accommodating.

The area around La Concha is super safe and well located. The $15 cab ride to Old San Juan is easy and convenient. There are many high end shops in the area (Louis Vuitton, Cartier, etc) as well as affordable restaurants and shops on either end of Ashford Ave. We never, ever felt unsafe as there are plenty of police scattered on foot, bike, scooter, cars throughout without making us feel intimidated at all (this is clearly an affluent part of town and they like to keep it that way). I'm a street photographer and I took many solo walking excursions around Condado night and day and felt safe everywhere. Like any other place in the world, be mindful of your surroundings and you should be fine.

There are many Starbucks in the area, on the left (east) and right (west) of Ashford, but I liked the one in the Conrad traveling west as it was less crowded. Going east is nicer as it has a lot of shops along the way and more hotels which made it very crowded every morning.

There are plenty of inexpensive food options around the hotel, so don't feel like you're stuck eating at the resort. We had breakfast and dinner outside every day, but Solera on site was our luxury.

Room Tip: We were on the tenth floor (1020) facing the water so all we heard was the ocean
Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in the suites tower of this hotel for a week in February 2013 to celebrate our anniversary. The suites are quite comfortable with separate bedroom and living area. The living area contains eating table, chairs, couch, large screen TV, and lighting, a full size fridge with ice maker, a microwave, two burner stove, and all the necessary utensils if you want to prepare a small meal. The bedroom had a king bed, large closet with hangers and safe, large TV, and a nice sized bathroom with large shower and a lot of counter space for two peoples "stuff". Only downside to the bathroom is the walls are frosted glass between the bath and bed rooms. A little tough if one partner need the bathroom in the middle of the night and turns the light on. The balcony had two chairs and a table and look out directly on the ocean which was a nice place to drink your first cup of Puerto Rician Coffee provided in the kitchen area. Walgreens, walking distance, had most of what was needed for a couple of day stay but we took a cab to the SuperMax supermarket to get a few things we could not live without during our week. Lots of places to eat within walking distance. The Police presents in all the tourist districts will make you feel comfortable. We took the city bus (75 cents and the bus stop is right in front of the hotel just catch the 53 or 21 buses and ride like a local) to Old San Juan a couple of time to walk around, shop, and have lunch on the many plazas in downtown. Being Marriott Gold, we used the hotel concierge lounge for breakfast and dinner/dessert, it was quite nice but lots of business going on inside the lounge. The beach was wonderful and the attendants cheerfully put up chairs and umbrellas where you wanted them and wait staff was available if you need a drink or eats while on the the beach. They have a couple of infinity pools available that are bath water temperature (quite nice actually) to lounge in on the days that the ocean was very rough. Almost all the hotels have small casinos if that is your thing. Starbucks is a three block walk down Ashford Ave with sitting out in front and internet access inside....great for afternoon people watching, especially Sunday. We had a great week in Puerto Rico but had to return to a snowy Ohio for the rest of winter.

Riverdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This review is a little late but La Concha deserves the review. I stayed at La Concha in 2012 with 3 other females to celebrate a birthday. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel was quite stunning. The room was very modern and a good size with a queen bed and a full size pull out sofa. The living room TV area was a great space to chill out and relax. The bathroom was quite interesting with the shower on one end and toilet on the other yet privately closed off. The pool area was quite large- get there early to get a chair! Service at the pool for drinks and food was excellent. The staff was amazing! Many thanks to Vladimir and Felix Perez for their great smiles and hospitality!! There are many local restaurants in the area with great food. The casino was fun as well. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Sitting here on the upper pool deck enjoying my second piña colada after just finishing a delicious skirt steak wrap. really enjoying the free wifi. There is even wifi on the beach so I could FaceTime and brag to my friends back home. Haha

The infinity pools on the beach are a highlight. Everything is beautiful and looks just like the website.

Get an oceanfront room 4th floor or higher. We slept at night with the door open to listen to the waves.

Walking distance to tons of funbars and restaurants. Very chic, well heeled crowd at night, though I wish there was dancing.

My one gripe is that they don't police too well the people who sneak in to enjoy the property during the day. As a result, choice spots by the pool canbe hard to come by. They should use wristbands like the other high-end properties do.

Also I have to mention how friendly and informative the concierge is. We consulted them every time we walked out the door and they always had great suggestions.

This hotel is as nice as ones that cost 2x as much.

Spa across the street (Euforia) is pretty good.

Room Tip: Oceanfront above 4th floor. We enjoyed our deluxe room
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at La Concha during a recent business trip. Due to my schedule I didn't get to see the pool areas or dine at restaurants. My interactions with the hotel were limited to the rooms and lobby so I'll stick to those.

The lobby is nice and modern, the space is very open and it flows nicely. White dominates the color scheme and the overall tone is casual/trendy.

The hotel has two towers. I stayed in the "far" one, not sure what's the official name, it just seemed to be away from the main areas.

The first thing that hit me was a musty and humid smell when I got to my room, it felt like it had been locked for months without any ventilation. I contacted the front desk to request a room change. The request was promptly honored but the second room smelled the same. I suppose it could be attributed to the age of the property and the fact that is located by the ocean.

My room was a suite, something typical of the Renaissance brand. The suites have a seating area by the entrance with a living room, dining area and small kitchen. A large bathroom divides the space between the living room and the bedroom. The bedroom is average size with a king size bed and a desk.

Overall the hotel is a nice property but it shows it's age, it has clearly been renovated but the wear and tear occasionally manage to bubble up despite all the facelifts.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!