I'm a platinum member with Marriott and had heard good things about this resort from a co-worker who went in May for a family vacation.
Let me start off by introducing the negatives and then I'll shift to the positives:
1. Arrived and my "upgraded" room was a corner room with the "City View". Only one side of the hotel is City View. And they should really rename it to "Sh!tty View". lol. You basically have a view of rancid rooftops of other local businesses. But....La Concha can't help what those rooftops look like. Just sayin'...the view is lousy beyond belief. We asked for an ocean view or partial ocean view room (the other 3 sides) but were told that only a partial ocean view room existed and that it had only one bed in it. We took the "upgraded" room instead.
2. My rate entitled me to a $50 debit card. The lady who offered it to me at check-in didn't mention that the PIN was on the paper inside. In fact, she said it was on the back of the card. We threw away the envelope and paper and went shopping. No PIN on back. Was on paper which housekeeping threw away. But, after telling the manager, he was nice and took it off our total bill at the hotel.
3. No umbrellas when it rains, unlike most high end hotels. Even our cruise ship had an umbrella in the closet you could use if it rained. Geez.
4. It was thanksgiving weekend so the executive lounge was closed for the entire weekend. In lieu of this we were offered one morning of a cruddy continental breakfast served on the bar. And we were told that the second morning (Sunday) they did not offer the continental breakfast at all (as they wanted to make more $ on people buying the Sunday brunch). They offered nothing for that morning. Pretty stingy to Platinum members.
5. Has a $25/day resort fee. Told that this allows guests to have free internet and also pays for umbrellas and chairs at the beach. Well, as Platinum the internet is free for me anyways. So....not a great deal.
6. Rooms are like a half notch up from Embassy Suites rooms. We stayed in the Suites tower and I just can't recommend them. They were of 3.5 star quality -- not 4 star or 5 star quality. The DVD player in the room was a nice touch, though, and we used it one night.
7. Our luggage never arrived to our rooms. After 3 phone calls and over an hour later, we finally received it. Needless to say, there was no tip for the luggage. We were anxious to go out and 8 members of our party were waiting on us to leave, but we couldn't go as we weren't dressed appropriately.
1. Miguel (at the front desk): I had an issue with the room on Day 1 and with the luggage. He worked with me on this to ensure I was as happy as he could make me without overstepping his level of authority. Good job. I think he appeared to be an asst. manager at the hotel.
2. On Day 2 when it was raining mercilessly, I asked for an umbrella at the front desk but was told none existed. Odd for a 4 star hotel not to have these, especially in Puerto Rico where it seems to rain profusely every afternoon. So, I went back up to Miguel and asked if he had like a plastic bag we could put over our heads. He returned with another employee's umbrella and said we could use it for the day if we promised to return it to him. Awesome! That's service!
3. There was no Platinum/Gold line but I understand this at a resort. To keep the lines moving, they had agents come out to help people away from the desk. This really helped and caused very little wait for attention, if any wait.
4. The hotel lobby is gorgeous. Well decorated for the holidays -- hip and modern and fun.
5. The bars make wonderful drinks. Yes, they're expensive but I'd rather have a tremendous expensive drink then a cruddy cheap drink any day of the week. They were delicious and powerful.
6. The food we had was delicious too. Odd for a hotel restaurant. We had this steak wrap with sweet plantains and garlic aioli and it was DA BOMB! Please order this. We split the wrap for lunch and it was the perfect amount of food for 2 people, with a side order of fries that we split as well. Just a perfect perfect lunch.
7. The oceanfront the hotel has is tremendous. The waves are some of the best waves I've ever seen and the beach is private, with no vendors selling things. Quiet and peaceful. Only wish they had bar service from the beach lounge chairs. Alas.
8. The outdoor resort seating was exceptionally nice. Plenty of luxurious seating and plenty of clean towels.
9. The infinity pool (suite towers) was small but relaxing -- and had wonderful cocktail/food service!
Overall, I'd recommend the resort because of the exceptional service and resort common areas. Keep expectations down on the room and you'll be satisfied.
Upgrade to ocean view room if they're available. Obstructed ocean view is the next best. Avoid...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.