“Felix the greeter at La Concha” 4 of 5 stars

La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1077 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #6 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Weston, Florida
“Felix the greeter at La Concha”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

From the moment you arrive at La Concha the fun starts; Felix is one of the greeters at La Concha, he made us feel so special from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The tower suites at La Concha are nicer than the other towers, much newer. The beach is well kept and the pools are nicely maintained. The beach is very rough and because of that there are no watersports. You have to go to Isla Verde for watersports the beach on that side is much calmer.
Overall La Concha is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Tower Suites are way nicer than the other towers.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

3,837 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend, and totally enjoyed myself. The DJ in the lobby knows how to get the party started!!!!! We loved all four pools and enjoyed the restaurant by the pool, the angus beef hamburger was outstanding. The room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was smaller than I expected, but we managed. Great location, we will return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jose C, Guest Relations Manager at La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Saludos Pam W,

I am happy you enjoyed yourself in our beautiful resort. I like the “get the party started”. Many of our guests really get to know all of our facilities like you have. Which pool did you like the most? Let me know when you return to assist with accommodations and ensure your next stay is even better. Seen you soon!

Jose Cepero
Director of Guest Services
jcepero@laconcharesort.com
787-602-6121
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I chose this resort after reading all the Trip Advisor reviews and was overall very pleased. It was a bit of a last minute trip and decided to spend a little more money here instead of staying down the beach.

Overall the staff was amazing. They were all extremely friendly. Stephanie at the Concierge's desk was so helpful helping us find a zip line tour after ours was mistakenly booked incorrectly. And Rebecca at the main pool side restaurant/ bar was just awesome. Nice, friendly, fun. They really make you feel welcome.

Finally got to our room and I was nicely surprised. The room was clean and modern and very big. Our regular room had a refrigerator, sink, lounge area, etc. I picked the city view because it was so much cheaper but the view wasn't bad.

But here is where room choice is key. Later on when looking at the hotel from across the road you can clearly see that our tower was the newer tower. The original tower just looked run down from the outside. From the back of the hotel the rooms in the old tower did not appear to have full balconies. We also heard in talking to others that the rooms seemed a bit outdated, but I never saw any of the rooms in this tower so I cannot say.

Here's the other point where room choice is key. We had a room with a city view. City view is ok, you see some abandoned buildings in the distance but it is not bad. But... at night is when it matters. We were on a higher floor and the noise from the street was loud, even with the heavy doors. Think hotel room in Europe noise. Traffic, shouting, music from the bars and clubs. So just keep that in mind before shrugging off the higher priced beach facing rooms.

Other than that the hotel was nice. Food was good but way overpriced. I found the restaurant Orozco's down the street which was mentioned in a Trip Advisor's review by someone else staying at La Concha and it was great. The only real Puerto Rican food nearby that we could find. And affordable! Everything else around is expensive and a lot of Asian food places.

Pools were nice, beach was nice, everything was clean. Casino was small but seemed to payout well (my partner won about $900 total playing the slots).

And again, the staff is what makes it incredible. Even there there were some water issues when I was there (that was out of their control) they were all incredible and make the visit memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the La Concha on business. The room (a suite) was huge. All the room amenities were new and high end. Great bathrobe! The hotel lobby is very functional for a morning continental breakfast, a sandwich at lunch, or drinks at night. The outside space, including the infinity pool and the beach are more than inviting. You can walk to local bars and restaraunts from the hotel. It was very funcitonal for business (it has parking). Bring your spouse, he (she) will have plenty to do while you are working. It is not Old San Juan, and that really is the place you want to be, but La Concha is an excellent hotel for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I always read trip advisor before selecting my hotel. La Concha had an overwhelming majority of very favorable reviews. I have to say that our experience confirmed those reveiws! The hotel seemed to be the most happening place on Condado island. The pools are great and offer great food and bar service, especially from Carlos Alvarado! The hotel is right on a beautiful beach and provides lounge chairs and umbrellas for guests. Our room (505) was huge and had an ocean view. The bed was very comfortable. The only complaints about the room were that there were stains on the carpet and although the bathroom was very nice, the tile grout in the shower needed to be cleaned. We did have a discrepancy with a $2.72 charge from the gift shop being charged to our room, but I reported it and the hotel took care of it before we checked out. All in all, we had a wonderful time in Puerto Rico and we will return to the La Concha!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very nice hotel (get a room in the Suite Tower) with 3 pool options and very accommodating staff. When checking in my girlfriend and I had requested a room with double beds but all they had available were king bed rooms. Kristina at the front desk was so great and told us if we were willing to wait a bit she would try to find us something with an ocean view. We were happy to wait since we could sit outside at the pool and have lunch and some drinks while waiting. When our buzzer went off that our room was ready we were really surprised that she not only found us an ocean view room in the tower, but also managed to get us a room with double beds (which are few and few between in the tower). Extremely happy with the way the staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Good morning! It’s 3:45am and I am writing to you live from La Concha, about to tell you why this is my last stay here ever. I will also, however, advise you of the nice features when possible.

There is a giant fight outside my door. I am in a room which is next to the end. My view? Lovely. My soundtrack on a normal evening? Ocean waves. A young lady who is clearly on vacation was locked out of her room and for this reason, took to kicking the door multiple times to get her friends to let her in. She screamed of the injustices of her friends. When finally they let her in, she drained herself of more screaming to ensure that her friends really understood the embarrassment she suffered since her friends did not come to find her when they had earlier been separated.

After the first 10 minutes of her hand and foot combat with the door, I arose from my Renaissance Marriott king bed and tried both of my ocean view room’s telephones to call downstairs. Fast busy signal. I tried and tried; I tried alternate numbers. Finally I picked my phone up from the ever-convenient iHome and called La Concha directly from my outside line. No answer. I know it’s after 3:30am, but someone please answer!

I gave the young lady time to air her grievances but this was not an infraction that she wanted to let go. She took her fight to what might be an outside balcony for a time. Yes, some ocean view rooms are equipped with a balcony (but you will pay the price!). How could they not come find her. She went to buy beer. She was so embarrassed to have to go downstairs and ask security to let her in her room.

Wait, what? Someone is downstairs? I gathered more hope as I propped up my luxurious pillows and I tried the main La Concha phone line again from my personal phone. An answer! I explained to the gentleman where I was and that a fight was going on next door, and he said he would send someone right up, and they did. Case closed? Almost. While the screaming has subsided, there continues to be residuals of drawer-slamming, blunt objects making contact with the wall, and other aftershocks of a fight interrupted by security. And now the screaming is starting up again.

I have been a loyal Marriott customer for years. I am in San Juan for business. I have on numerous occasions advised management of the stellar service I have received. Felix at the front valet? He steals my heart every time I see him. The tomato soup in Voga? I have never had anything like it, and I am glad to call it a repeat dinner selection. Nine times out of 10 nights, I will sleep restfully, but it is nights like these that remind me that it is sadly time to end my company's relationship with La Concha.

A note to management: I have raised this type of issue with our corporate contact, even empathizing that I know that this is a vacation resort, and there is bound to be some noise, yet she told me that these types of situations are unacceptable and that I should call downstairs. As I hadn't in the past, I vowed to do so next time, and look where it has gotten me... writing to you, dear reader.

The one star counts for Felix’s charisma and dedication to service, as well as the consistently hard-working staff in the Ocean Lounge, and getting to hear the incredibly talented group Así Somos on Wednesdays. Deductions are for phone failure, past inflexibility with room changes for corporate customers, and every time I’ve had to stay in a room next to the elevator.

Room Tip: Refuse any Ocean Tower rooms ending in 17, 18, 20 or 21, or if you find you have a shared door to th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to La Concha Resort: A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!