“Great Affordable Location in Heart of Old San Juan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Da House Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Da House Hotel to your Saves list
Da House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   312 San Francisco St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Affordable Location in Heart of Old San Juan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights when we visited Puerto Rico. It is a clean, no frills boutique hotel in an ideal location. We were completely satisfied and weren't bothered by the noise from the club downstairs. The only drawback would be the stairs. Our room was on the top floor, and as there is no elevator, it was not fun to climb those stairs multiple times a day. At least I worked off my additional vacation calories!

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you don't like stairs, try to request a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed in room 205....literally on top of the club. Since I'm from New York City, I had absolutely no problem falling asleep. In fact, the two nights I was there, both nights I woke up at 2am because the music STOPPED!

The staff is VERY helpful and incredibly nice. On Friday night, they had an all you can drink mojitos on the roof deck...a welcome and nice way to kick off the weekend!

A group of us stayed there prior to our cruise. I checked in to my cruise early in the morning and still had time to go back to the hotel to take a shower. Literally a 10 to 15 min walk.

Please be aware that on this side of Old San Juan can appear a little sketchy. I walked down Calle San Francisco AWAY from San Cristobal forte and it was like walking in to a completely different town. Cleaner, nicer shops, more tourist friendly.

Pros: Comfy bed. Decent shower. Location. Very friendly staff. A couple of doors down from La Mallorca Cafe!

Cons: No closet/drawers (didn't even notice...but my roommate needed to hang linen slacks). Housekeeping ran VERY late (returned to the room around 4p in the afternoon and room still hadn't been straightened up. Fresh towels AND wash clothes came around 6p)
No elevator.....but I should put that as a PRO....you need the exercise after all the food you eat.
No TV (but I knew that going in)

If you are looking for a hotel with room service ,and turn down service....this isn't the place for you. Da House can be best described as a Hostel for adults. If you have to stay more than three days, don't stay here.....most people are there either before or after the cruise (which leaves at 10p on Sunday),

I would stay here again for sure you can't beat the price and the location!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the quieter it is.....but you have to schlep your stuff up there on our own too..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Ok hubby and I stayed here for 1 night before our cruise. We read multiple reviews and in the end decided to stay here. We wanted to experience living in the old town. We quickly learned that this was not our type of hotel and I am going to just be honest and say I was not happy and would not stay again. The staff were amazing and really made the stay better. We were in room 203. When came to noise it didn't bother us. We went to bed around 12 and while we could hear the music from next door it wasn't loud enough to prevent our good rest. However the bed left a lot to be desired. It looked like a full and we sleep on a king at home so... No comfy at all, the spring were terrible. Also the room in general was crazy small. The shower as well. It was hard to brush our teeth or wash our face in the bathroom due to the door's position next to the sink. Due to the age of the hotel it just did not feel clean to me, although it definitely always smelled of cleaning products. Please bring shower shoes and your own wash cloth as they give towels in place of wash cloths. The location was great and we really were able to get around OSJ with no problem from the hotel. I also can't stress how awesome the staff were. I would definitely shop in the gift shop again but I can't recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Bring wash cloth shower shoes and review what they say about the music next door when choosing your...
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

No elevators, so you'll work off the calories from the great food that surrounds you. Unsolicited tip: Ask the hotel staff about where to eat or you'll spend $30-$40 a meal at the tourist spots, you won't regret it. Simply put, this had to be one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Not for the ammenities it had, but for the fact that I didn't miss for a second what they didn't have. (Da House) is a converted convent so the rooms are relatively small but the high ceilings hide that. There are no tv's so be prepared to leave your room and enjoy the city (everything in Old San Juan is within walking distance of the hotel so leave the taxis where they are.

Room Tip: Corner room on 3rd floor facing the church was quieter.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Arrived just before midnight on a Friday night, was checked in quickly and as part of check-in process, was told where to find the remaining live music of the night!

This formed the basis of the weekend... really friendly staff who would help whenever they can (they also sorted out my early morning transfer to the airport).

I loved my room on the fourth floor with the antique Chinese furniture, its lack of TV and wifi. Water was hot, bed was comfortable and AC worked, that's all that was needed. Music from downstairs could be heard every night, but I guess you're not coming if you've a problem with that? For me, it was no louder than the traffic sounds at home and actually helped me get to sleep.

Brilliantly located.

Couldn't get much better for the price.

Room Tip: I was happy with my room on the top floor, directly above the neighbouring bar.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is awesome if you are open-minded. It is not your typical hotel. There are lots of stairs, no elevators, tiny-tiny bathrooms... basically it's bare-boned. But it's awesome. It's a perfect location and so unique and fun. Beautiful artwork in the common areas and I love the overall feel of the place. Love the stairs. Very laid back. The beds arent so comfortable, but they're not awful. The bathrooms are teeny-tiny. Seriously. If you think of yourself at all as a large person, you may not fit, lol.
I don't think I could stay here for too many nights in a row, but this was my second 1-nighter here and I'll return. Perfect place to stay for a quick over-nighter in San Juan- it's cheap and located right where you want to be!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at Da House for a couple of nights. It is an ideal location if you want to be in the heart of San Juan's historic district . The hotel is very close to the major sites including El Morro, San Cristobal and the local museums. There are also several bars and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. It's approximately 30 minutes away from the airport or it could be longer depending on the traffic, and about 15-20 minutes to the newer part of San Juan depending on where you're going.

The hotel, one of those converted colonial houses or buildings, doubles as an art gallery showcasing works of local artists. Each room showcases different art work.

Our room, although quite basic, was very clean. The bathroom has a small (phone booth-like) shower. The water temperature was a bit uneven and I had some issues with the shower knob but all in all everything else worked in there.

The hotel has a rooftop with a jacuzzi and a great view of the city. The time we were there they had a "movie night" with drinks. There's free wi-fi access in the common areas. The only complaint I had was there was one day when housekeeping didn't come to fix the room but we stayed there for such a short time that we were more willing to overlook this.

Note that the hotel has no elevators and I would not recommend this for guests who have problems going up and down several flights of stairs especially those with heavy luggage. There is a bar just below the hotel and you can definitely hear the music or "noise" if you are in the lower floors even with your windows closed. The sounds downstairs didn't bother us too much at night but if you are looking for "peace and quiet" and easily bothered, this may not be the right place for you (especially if you are staying over the weekend where you can hear the party downstairs until the wee hours of the morning). This seems to be a place well suited for 20-40 somethings and that seems to be the age demographic of the hotel when we stayed there. That's not to say if you are over that age group, you can't stay there if you're looking for a unique and affordable place in Old San Juan.

The staff was helpful and friendly. Check in and check out process was efficient. The staff was nice enough to call us a cab when we needed it.

All in all Da House is a fun place to stay and definitely worth the experience staying in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the upper floors if you are easily bothered by noise from the outside but remember...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Da House Hotel? Share your experiences!