“Sounds Like Spring Break - When It's Not” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Da House Hotel

You added Da House Hotel to your Saves list
Da House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   312 San Francisco St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Sounds Like Spring Break - When It's Not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at Da House at the end of April. It was a Friday night stay as we were waiting to board a cruise ship the following day. The hotel is in a super location right in the heart of Old San Juan and within walking distance of the city's restaurants and sights. We had been advised that it could get a little noisy but the location and price point were too good to pass on. Well, noisy can't begin to describe it. The hotel is an old convent (a lovely church is across the street) from the 1800's that was then a school, then in the 70's a national art museum and finally converted to this hotel after some renovations. The hotel's design is large and cavernous. The floors are tile and terrazzo. The design makes for a superb echo chamber. The doors are wood and don't seal well and the windows likewise - after all this place is over 100 years old. That said, patrons were coming and going all night long, laughing, singing, running and having a great time. Unfortunately it gets going like this well after midnight. The last time I looked at a clock it was after 3AM and I swore I was going to take a bowling ball and roll i toff the landing of my 4th floor stairs fantasizing it going BOOM BOOM BOOM around and around the stairs to the bottom. Oh yea, there are no elevators and the stairs are steep, and long (made longer when carrying a week's worth of luggage up and up and up to our fourth floor room which we were told would be quieter than the other rooms at Da House, when we booked it).

Anyway...the taxi from the airport to the hotel was about $25 and then from the hotel to the cruise terminal another $25. The location is convenient and we had a great time walking through the Old City. You are in the heart of Old San Juan and it doesn't get much better than that. The room we had was on the fourth floor. It was small and had an armoir in lieu of a closet, the a/c worked fine and the bathroom, although tiny, was adequate for a one night stay. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. They handled our check in/out quickly and accurately.

I don't think I would stay here again though as the noise was too much trouble,(at least it was happy noise not arguing or fighting).

Room Tip: Consider a room on the 4th floor as it is quieter than lower floors just be AWARE there are no eleva...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here two nights before heading out to Luquillo. Yes, it's very loud (even in our "away from the party" room), not just from the nightclub but from street traffic (why do people feel the need to honk their horns at 4am??) and from fellow guests in the common areas just outside the room. And the room was tiny and minimal. But we're heavy sleepers and just needed a place to crash, and this hotel was fine for that. The location and the price are excellent.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location could not be better, but not much beyond that. No elevator means carrying your bags up 4 floors. No bell service or otherwise. Extremely noisy at night with live music till 3 AM. Ear plugs a MUST. Room lacked any place to hang clothes or place bags other than on the floor, Floor was dirty too. Very basic hotel which with some work could be great.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs!
New Windsor, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you are looking for a nice and affordable hotel in Old San Juan, this is the place. The staff are extremely nice and personable, and always willing to answer any questions you may have about restaurants, shops, day trips, etc. The traditional Spanish style rooms are simple, clean and comfortable, just what you need. The location is perfect- you're right in the middle of Old San Juan close to everything. The hotel is in the city so some noise is to be expected. We really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to visit again!

Middletown, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Da House is a cool, artsy, fun place to stay in the heart of San Juan. It's close to everything, the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Grab a bottle of rum or wine and head up to the roof for a relaxing evening. Lots of art on the walls. The downside is that it can be hard to sleep because of the very cool--but very loud Nuyorican Cafe next door. Pick up some ear plugs and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Ask for one as far from the salsa club as possible. It will still be loud, though.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at approximatley 12 we were told that our rooms weren't available yet but they would store our luggage so we wandered around Old San Juan. The hotel is convientely located near everything. At night we arrived back at the hotel and were going to sleep at 11, which is when the salsa club and night club started turning up the music. It sounds like a parade, despite the fact that our room was in the front of the building. That would have been ok because we were warned ahead of time. What I found to be unacceptable is that when I turned down the blanket I found long dark hairs on the sheets in the bed. When I called down to the front desk there was no answer so my husband went down to the front desk to request that the sheets be changed. The guy promised that the sheets would be changed but after waiting 20 minutes I went down to the front desk and the guy was still sitting there. I asked for the sheets again. In the end I had to change the bed sheets myself. The replacement sheets were stained with some dark substance. Even the lack of an elevator, the music and price I would recommend checking out another hotel for the price.

New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Incredibly loud. So loud in fact that I'd be able to understand the song being played with no problem at all if I could speak spanish, maybe then I could f*@king sing a long. REALLY WISH I HAD LISTENED TO THE RATINGS BUT DECIDED TO GIVE THIS PLACE A CHANCE. WRONG CHOICE. (Think Anchorman - Milk was a bad choice scene, except with this hotel)

No elevator - desk guy was not to thrilled when I asked him to help with bags. This is a motel, not a hotel - do not get the two confused. Don't get a room anywhere near the stair case because you'll have a lot of the drunken loud types laughing and stomping up and down the stairs. With the tiled floor and thin walls you could hear a pin drop from the first floor, every footstep in the hall and stairwell echoes through the whole building. So bad in fact that when I called my boyfriend from my room he thought I was in the shower from hearing the echoes. I don't even know why they offer rooms here? Maybe it's just for people to use the bathroom and bone, but sleep isn't really an option at this point. Not to mention room reeks of cigarettes, and I'm a smoker and STILL the stench is overpowering. The blankets are worn, dirty and thread bare. Kind of gross to be sleeping in linens that looked so used. Oh! Perfect timing, someone just flushed a toilet and you can hear the flush, then the water rushing through the pipes.

I'm miserable.

Someone shoot me. Motel 6 and the Travelodge is more comfortable than this.

Room Tip: Get rooms above the front entrace, stay away from the side or back of the building. The higher the f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Da House Hotel? Share your experiences!