“Nice, funky place - but loud” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Da House Hotel

You added Da House Hotel to your Saves list
Da House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   312 San Francisco St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Middletown, CT
“Nice, funky place - but loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Da House is a cool, artsy, fun place to stay in the heart of San Juan. It's close to everything, the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Grab a bottle of rum or wine and head up to the roof for a relaxing evening. Lots of art on the walls. The downside is that it can be hard to sleep because of the very cool--but very loud Nuyorican Cafe next door. Pick up some ear plugs and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Ask for one as far from the salsa club as possible. It will still be loud, though.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at approximatley 12 we were told that our rooms weren't available yet but they would store our luggage so we wandered around Old San Juan. The hotel is convientely located near everything. At night we arrived back at the hotel and were going to sleep at 11, which is when the salsa club and night club started turning up the music. It sounds like a parade, despite the fact that our room was in the front of the building. That would have been ok because we were warned ahead of time. What I found to be unacceptable is that when I turned down the blanket I found long dark hairs on the sheets in the bed. When I called down to the front desk there was no answer so my husband went down to the front desk to request that the sheets be changed. The guy promised that the sheets would be changed but after waiting 20 minutes I went down to the front desk and the guy was still sitting there. I asked for the sheets again. In the end I had to change the bed sheets myself. The replacement sheets were stained with some dark substance. Even the lack of an elevator, the music and price I would recommend checking out another hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Incredibly loud. So loud in fact that I'd be able to understand the song being played with no problem at all if I could speak spanish, maybe then I could f*@king sing a long. REALLY WISH I HAD LISTENED TO THE RATINGS BUT DECIDED TO GIVE THIS PLACE A CHANCE. WRONG CHOICE. (Think Anchorman - Milk was a bad choice scene, except with this hotel)

No elevator - desk guy was not to thrilled when I asked him to help with bags. This is a motel, not a hotel - do not get the two confused. Don't get a room anywhere near the stair case because you'll have a lot of the drunken loud types laughing and stomping up and down the stairs. With the tiled floor and thin walls you could hear a pin drop from the first floor, every footstep in the hall and stairwell echoes through the whole building. So bad in fact that when I called my boyfriend from my room he thought I was in the shower from hearing the echoes. I don't even know why they offer rooms here? Maybe it's just for people to use the bathroom and bone, but sleep isn't really an option at this point. Not to mention room reeks of cigarettes, and I'm a smoker and STILL the stench is overpowering. The blankets are worn, dirty and thread bare. Kind of gross to be sleeping in linens that looked so used. Oh! Perfect timing, someone just flushed a toilet and you can hear the flush, then the water rushing through the pipes.

I'm miserable.

Someone shoot me. Motel 6 and the Travelodge is more comfortable than this.

Room Tip: Get rooms above the front entrace, stay away from the side or back of the building. The higher the f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Da house is a super cute, super fun boutique hotel in the middle of San Juan.

The rooms are not cheap, but they are reasonably affordable, however I found a few things missing from our stay. First of all there's no complimentary anything. Like seriously, nothing. The rooms we stayed in ranged between 120 and 160 per night and for that price it would at least have been nice to get one bottle of water to drink. Instead I had to go out, tired and jet lagged, to buy my own water. Likewise, there's no coffee or anything else provided. I was pretty disappointed with that. Da house has a sister hotel called Casablanca and they do provide a small complimentary breakfast and the rooms are in the same price range. I was confused as to why Da House wouldn't do the same thing since they are affiliated. Or at least it'd be nice if they'd partner up with one of the local coffee shops and offer some sort of voucher or coupon for coffee at a nearby cafe for those who stay at Da House.

They don't provide anything in the bathroom other than bar of soap, so if you're expecting shampoo, conditioner, etc. to be provided think again.

Additionally, there was a very thin blanket on most beds (both of our blankets in two different rooms had holes in them), not even a comforter. The weather in San Juan is warm, however with the air conditioning on (they leave it on full blast until you get to your room) I was freezing and the room hadn't warmed up enough for me to be comfortable sleeping. When I asked for an extra blanket I was told there were none. Bit of a bummer. The beds and pillows are not very comfortable, but I have always had mild back and neck issues so am sensitive to such things.

There's a neat hot tub on the roof, but when we were staying there the lights were broken, so it was a little strange to sit in a dark hot tub. Still fun, though.

Be forewarned to pack LIGHT. These buildings are old and elevator-less. My poor husband had to carry all our luggage up four flights of stairs and I immediately wished we had only brought a carryon.

Also there is a salsa bar right next door and on the weekends there is loud music until 4 am. The website rates the rooms as "close to the party" or "interior room that's quiet" so you can get an idea of what room to pick based on whether or not you want to socialize or sleep. One of the rooms we stayed in we picked because the description was "mostly quiet." There was nothing quiet about it. I was up until 4am listening to loud drum beats.

On the upside the location is incredibly convenient for walking around town, however, any place you stay in Old San Juan will have that same benefit. Everyone who worked at the front desk was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. I really appreciated their warmth and willingness to make recommendations for us.

I just feel that for nearly 200 a night the least a hotel could do is provide a bottle of water and or some toiletries. There's nothing "boutique" feelings about that.

I wish I had stayed at another hotel in Old San Juan, perhaps they are all like this? I don't have a point of comparison, but I hope this review will be helpful to others. Have fun. Puerto Rico is a blast!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First: luz, the manager is great! The welcome was warm, and very considerate ... It was our honeymoon and they left us sleep late even we had to check out early. It's a little noisy but they warn u about it. Inside is beautiful, like and old casona! And u are in the heart of it all! Thank u for making our honeymoon so sweet!

• Stayed April 2013
Luck Hill, Tortola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed one night (Saturday) at Da' House and really enjoyed it. The staff is extremely helpful, happy to answer any questions and very enthusiastic about their jobs.

I'm a very light sleeper, so we booked a "quiet" room, and were still disturbed by other guests going in and out of their rooms. Still, having read reviews here and being aware that Da' House could be loud on weekends, I was actually pretty pleased with the quietness of our room. It's not the hotel's fault that guests don't know how to close their doors quietly, etc., and we definitely did not have any street or bar noise in room 402.

I was slightly disappointed with the quality of the room -- mostly just that some of the flooring was old and in need of replacing. But the room was clean, and the bathroom was updated and very clean. More than sufficient for our one-night stay.

My favorite part of the stay was just the great vibe of the place. From the relaxed, friendly staff, to the decor, to the unbeatable location in the heart of Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Book a quiet room if you're a light sleeper; staff are helpful in choosing the right room for yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent one night at Da' House and enjoyed it, but it was a bit loud even in our "quiet" room. However the building itself is gorgeous, and the room and common areas had everything we needed. Also, the location is PERFECT as a home base for exploring Old San Juan. Would stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple