“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in San Juan
South Florida, Florida
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Da House has been on my radar ever since the Frugal Traveler reviewed it several years ago. An impromptu trip to San Juan finally gave me a chance to evaluate it for myself.

The appeal lies in the great location in Old San Juan. Da House is a short walk from the Christopher Columbus square, Plaza Colón. This means you are also very near to restaurants and bars of all types.

The hotel itself definitely has its advantages. There are spacious public areas filled with local art. Choose the right room and you will definitely feel part of Puerto Rico, enjoying cool tile floors in vibrant designs and windows that open to warm Caribbean breezes.

There are quirks. I stayed in 306, which had a very large bedroom and a small sitting room that was accessed from the bedroom. The bed was soft but comfortable and the furniture was an eclectic mix of the old and the new (think ikea and Pier 1). The bathroom was tiny, and this seems to hold true throughout the hotel, where they've applied a formula of a stall shower, toilet and single sink. It works, though, although I did encounter one afternoon when there was little hot water.

There is no WiFi in the rooms, but Da House does provide Ethernet in each room and supplies a cable. WiFi is available in the spacious public common area on the second floor, along with a PC connected to a large flat-panel television.

You will see warnings online about the noise, and if you have any trouble sleeping take heed. The Nuyorican Cafe can be loud, especially if you are in a room overlooking the alley. I actually liked the music because I felt immersed in the culture, but others might require earplugs or headphones to sleep. Or you could just go down and join in the fun, which can run until 4 a.m. or so.

At any rate, this was close to Castillo Cristobal and the piers where cruise ships dock. There is even a small beach near Cristobal that seems to get little use. The hotel also has an ample roof deck, with great views of Old San Juan and a hot tub, although it can get very breezy up there.

However, I would stay at Da House again because of the location (all of Old San Juan is walkable from here if you are in even average shape). The music in the middle of the night would just be part of the Latin magic.

Room Tip: Interior rooms and those on higher floors will experience less noise. Request a room with direct acc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Culebra, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I liked it here. Yes, it was loud. Some nights were better than others (we stayed 4 nights total) but ear plugs for me did the trick. But believe the comments about noise! If you are sensitive then it isn't for you.

The rooms are small and the bathrooms ranged from ok to nice. The interior is interesting, the beds basic and more or less comfortable. They also appeared totally clean to me and I checked :) If you wake up itching it is probably mosquitoes.

The best pro to the hotel is the location. It is great. The second best pro is the staff. They were friendly and helpful even late at night. Really, that made the difference between it being so so and it being nice.

Room Tip: I think it is worth having a room on an external wall. Just be prepared with ear plugs!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 12/28-1/04 and on 1/08. We reserved back in September so our rate was $100/night.
For that price, it was great. The hotel does not yet warrant the new rates: here are the pros and cons.
The location is terrific, the staff is very responsive and the rooms are very nice. The noise level described was not as bad and practical non-existent.
The cons: there are no coffee pots and the hotel has no restaurant so mornings required going out for coffee which I don't care for. Putting coffee pots into the rooms would be a simple addition. We had an inside room for a few nights but the room had no windows so we switched and that room had a not-so-great bathroom. The bathrooms all require an upgrade to justify the increased rates.
All in all, we were pleased to stay here and with the long stay, got to know all of the employs and all were helpful and friendly.
We left for 4 nights to spend time in Culebra; I discovered that I had forgotten all of my expensive hair products but on our return, the housekeeper had kept them for me, a wonderful surprise and a measure of honesty and integrity.

• Stayed January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Room was small, but convenient. Great art on the walls and very friendly staff (especially the guy who looks like John Turturro). The common areas were very beautiful. Jacuzzi on top has a great view. Good breakfast place down the street; everything was very accessible. Don't stay here on the weekend, too loud.

Room Tip: Not over the weekend.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ponce, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay so much. The staff was very nice and pleasant. Kuddos for the new lobby, very stylish. The rooms were clean and neat. This boutique hotel is very cozy. We loved the decorations and the vibes of this hotel. Our room was very comfortable, it even had an extra small bed when we were only expecting one. Although we chose a quiet room, away from the party (we couldn't hear any music) but we could still hear some noise from people and children outside the rooms. Still, we would definitely go back and we recommend it to everyone who's looking for a small hotel that is worth the $$.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Wrong!!!!! We supposedly had a quieter inside room on the fourth floor and you can still hear the music til 3 am! It doesn't stop there... noises reverberate throughout the inside stairwell at all hours. Tables, or chairs, seemed to scraped across the floor all the time, and you could hear every foot step and door close.

I guess I thought the noise couldn't be that bothersome and you can use earplugs if you want, but I don't like them. My partner used the plugs, but he still was bothered by all the noise. Thank goodness we only spent one night here. The price was great and the location was perfect for Old San Juan, but I would rather have payed more for some peace and quiet.

The rooms are small, for sure, and insides have windows the look out to the noisy stairwells.
Our room had the right side of the bed pushed up against the wall, and it didn't have to be! I guess it was clean enough even with all the dirty looking old tile work everywhere. I think some might call it charming... not me.

The front desk people were great and our 2 days in San Juan were delightful, but I ignored the reviews on noise in this hotel and wish I had chosen differently.

Room Tip: I have a feeling every room is noisy to some extent. If that doesn't bother you then the locati...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent a few days doing the resort-style stays elsewhere on the island, and wanted something with a bit more local flavor. Da House came highly recommended online, and I can see why. Very charming building (although a little difficult to find if you're not looking closely or familiar with the area) in an awesome part of Old Town. A few blocks from the square and Castilo, easy to get to the pier/marina, museums, and other destinations in OSJ. Friendly service, cozy (=small) rooms, and well-priced. Would recommend to those who prefer a less "over-the-top" experience like many other hotels/resorts try to throw at you.

Room Tip: Ask, ask, ask! If you have a question about the location, specific size, or amenities, ask before bo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Da House Hotel? Share your experiences!