“GREAT salsa!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 188 things to do in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Best Music Venue in San Juan!!! Music Theater Poetry Ambiance, Salsa, Latin Jazz, Folklore, Hip Hop.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“GREAT salsa!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I went here with my friend (just two girls) and we were going to sit down and watch all the dancers for a song before getting up to dance ourselves. We weren't even sitting for a full minute before being pulled up and asked to dance. I swear all the men there were great dancers, and they were all so patient in showing you how to dance too. I had an excellent time; I just wish we had made the time to come here sooner during our trip. Can't wait to return to San Juan and dance here again!

Knoxville, Tennessee
25 attraction reviews
“Incredible Salsa Venue - Don't Miss Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I were excited about our trip to Puerto Rico as part of our 25th Anniversary Celebration. In 2012, we visited Puerto Rico. However, we did not dance in Puerto Rico.

Consequently, we decided to explore Salsa dancing in Old San Juan that night. My wife and I love to dance and have had tons of Latin dancing instructions (i.e. Cha Cha, Salsa, Mambo, and Merengue). We stayed at the Rio Mar Resort is located in the Rio Grande area, about 45 minutes from Old San Juan.

Given the reputation of driving in San Juan during peak traffic, I was not excited about this visit. However, we knew that the ‘real deal’ would be in Old San Juan. My research indicated that the Nuyorican Café would provide us ‘authentic’ Salsa with the locals.

On Friday (June 6th), 8:00ish, we traveled into Old San Juan. We did not have a problem with the traffic until we got into the city.

However, GPS (my great Garmin) was useless. Perhaps, there is a technical reason…but it didn’t matter. My wife was able to use her Blackberry app to assist us. We were able to find parking in a parking garage. We were near the Sheraton Hotel in Old San Juan.

We got lost several times before we located Nuyorican Café. It’s in a dark alley way. There was some great music playing down the street.

However, the cafe was practically empty at around 10pm. The gatekeeper/bouncer mentioned there were going to be two bands that night. The cover charge was $5. Should be stay or leave? We opted to stay.

For us, the objective was to dance Salsa, learn something new, and be exposed to the Nuyorican atmosphere. The café was very casual and small. Food and drinks were pretty reasonable. The first band consisted of percussion instruments. It was boring to us. No one was dancing.

However, things changed. The place was practically packed. The second band which was a Salsa band came to the floor. Salsa dancing! Incredible Salsa dancing!

The dance floor was packed. We found ourselves dancing with experienced Salsa dancers. Ladies were being swing around the floor like spinning tops (but graceful ones).

I was amazed to watch as experienced, male dancers would look around the room and asked single ladies to dance, regardless of the skill level. The atmosphere was simply electric. If you are any kind of a dancer/admirer, I would highly recommend experiencing Salsa dancing at the Nuyorican Café.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Live salsa, strong drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Great live salsa bands, lots of dancing. It's down a bit of an alley (well-lit) but the music you're hearing on the street is indeed coming from the right place. $5 cover (Fri night). No frills inside. Cocktails were $6 and were STRONG, so be careful (and I'm a drinker -- from watching the pours that night they were 2/3 liquor and 1/3 mixer).

A small place with great live music and everyone dancing, a great way to spend the night.

Jersey City, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Live salsa music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

A hidden gem for fun people who likes live salsa music and dancing. Good vibes. Hidden in an alley with unmarked doors. Just follow the loud music at night! =) I was alone but everyone is so friendly that you'll have a dance partner. Was exciting to see locals do their thing (I'm jealous!) $5 entrance fee. Worth every penny

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Salsa, great people an amazing time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This place is in Old San Juan and I felt in love for it, the people was really welcoming, small but with a great charm

Visited May 2014