“Worth Spending a Night Here” 4 of 5 stars

Cervantes
Recinto Sur #329 | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #9 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Worth Spending a Night Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed in a Cervantes Suite (King suite) and had no idea how large of a room we had booked. It was the size of a small apartment with three balconies, an extra half bath, a wet bar and a large living area. The hotel itself was beautiful. The staff was great and stored our luggage we arrived and even stored it for a few hours when we returned from our cruise a week later. After dinner and exploring the city we got drinks from the hotel bar and took them up to our room and enjoyed the view from our balcony. The only downside, which we knew of before booking, was extreme noise during the night. The room wasn't at all sound proof and we heard a lot of loud music from the nearby clubs on Saturday night. It may have been a problem if we stayed for multiple nights, but was not that big of a deal for one night. Overall, the hotel was definitely worth the price paid. It was a great, authentic experience in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: The Cervantes Suite (King Suite) was the size of a small apt. It was amazing but way more space than...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Andrea,

Thank you for the kind comments about our staff and your stay. We like to remind our guests that Old San Juan features a very popular nightlife during the weekends that provide excellent ambiance. We are always more than willing to move our guests to quieter rooms. We are so glad you enjoyed our King Suite with awesome balconies.

Thank you for staying with us!

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife Jacqui and I spent our second anniversary in old San Juan and stayed at Chateau Cervantes, where we had a WONDERFUL experience! The room was elegant and had a balcony. The location was perfect for walking the old city. But it was the STAFF that made it. They are now family to us, after just four days! And we saw them treat others there the same way, so it wasn't about us... :-) Seriously, from the Hotel desk Host(s) ... especially Jonathon, Judy, Michelle...to House - cleaning and Maintenance, the bartender(s)/hosts... especially Valeria..., our waiter... Enrique... the service was impeccable... and the FOOD - chef Carlos and cook Leo created the most incredible food... yes, it is a little expensive... not bad at all, really, for what you get in quality and quantity... they even surprised us in our room with complimentary champagne because it was our anniversary...but you will NOT FIND a better place to stay or 5 star restaurant in which to eat than this!!!!!! This was the best trip EITHER of us have ever had... we WILL be back there next year, if not BEFORE! Jamie

Room Tip: there are suits in the front of the building that have a sitting room, but the average room in the b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Jamie,

Thank you for the kind words about all of our staff. We loved having you stay with us at Chateau Cervantes. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here and a wonderful dinner at our restaurant , Panza. We look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries with you!
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our group booked a night here before departing last Sunday for our cruise and it was a great experience. Even better than I had expected, actually.

Instead of the standard hotel room I had expected, we had a sleeping area, sitting area, large restroom and three balconies. It was great for some after dinner wine with our friends before we turned in for the night.

The neighborhood was great- walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars which were open into the wee hours of the morning. Of course, that means the streets are also pretty loud into the night as well, but it didn't bother us. Several of the restaurants even had specials- buy one get one sangria/ margaritas (yay!)

Breakfast was a nice addition to our stay as well. Their coffee is delicious, though if you don't like breakfast or pastries, you are out of luck. Thankfully, we like both, so it wasn't an issue.

The hotel is well within walking distance of the port, and because checkout was before when we were permitted to board our ship, they allowed us to store our bags in the hotel and pick them up when we were ready to embark.

Even when we returned, as our flight left hours after disembarkation, they allowed us to keep our bags there for a couple of hours while we explored the city before the flight.

I'd definitely stay there again if we find ourselves in the area. A truly great boutique hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review us with such kind words. We are so glad all of these factors made your stay a pleasant one for your group. We hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Cervantes is in a great location. All of Old San Juan is walkable from here. It is 15-20 mins away from the international airport as well as the smaller airport, Isla Grande. Also, its just a couple blocks away from where the cruise ships docks for the day. The rooms are nice and they serve a yummy (carb filled) breakfast - muffins, croissant & cinnamon rolls! There were 4 people in our room so 2 of us had to stay on the pull out sofa couch. Not too comfortable but the friendly staff made up for that. They are full of helpful tips. We got caught in the rain and made a mess in their lobby but they didnt mind at all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are so glad all these positive factors made your stay at our hotel an excellent one!

Thank you for taking the time to review us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

great place to stay. this was my first time in Puerto Rico and the staff was more than willing to offer recommendations, book taxis, etc. we were in town to run the Puerto Rico marathon, and the staff ensured we had a taxi at 4 am and even let us know other guests were running so we could share the cab and save money. I would like to give special thanks to Michelle, who gave us excellent places to eat, and showed us where everything was in town that we could possibly need - super max, cvs, marshals, the good shopping streets and the places to avoid. so thanks Michelle for making our trip awesome!!! also I would recommend getting the mofongo at raices up the street.

• Stayed May 2013
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. They truly are what make us standout with their friendliness and knowledge of our Island. We are so glad you enjoyed your first trip to Puerto Rico and hope you come next year for the Marathon!
Lebanon, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked this room on booking.com and decided that I did not want to stay here so I cancelled. For reasons unknown I was charged for $356.80 for a room I never even seen. I called the hotel to see what was going on and they were very rude. I asked to speak to the owner and the manager (Judy) would not let me speak to him. I just hope if anyone has this problem get better results than I have. I would not be complaining if I did not cancel but I booked two rooms and cancelled both of them and only one was canceled. Good luck to anyone whom has a problem because they are not very good about resolving them.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We apologize for the situation but would like to remind you that we refunded payment for your first night. Let us emphasize that the issue was brought upon because Booking.com couldn't find your cancellation and without a cancellation, our policy allows us to charge you. We were following our policies and procedures at our best.

We hope you reconsider staying with us during any future visits to our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night before departing on our Southern Caribbean cruise. The hotel is in an amazing location. We easily walked everywhere, and if we had been cruising with Carnival (which we weren't) we could have even walked from the hotel to the cruise terminal.
Check-in was extremely fast and the girl at the desk was very personable and friendly. Our room was very small, but for one night it wasn't a big deal. Complimentary breakfast is nothing special. It is just a small plate with a sample of cheese, croissants, etc.
We had a couple issues during our stay- 1) My pillow was covered in small black hair upon arrival. I took it downstairs and the two men at the desk quickly apologized and brought me a new one. They were very prompt and sincere in their concern over the problem. I told them it really wasn't a huge deal, but they wrote up an incident report anyways. I liked their dedication to customer service. It was truly amazing. 2) The alleyway behind the hotel in extremely loud. My husband and I both woke up several times during the night by what sounded like a large garbage truck emptying bins with numerous glass bottles in them. It was something that was tolerable for a night, but would have been hard to deal with for longer.
Overall I liked the experience and I especially liked the staff, but I will probably be staying elsewhere upon my return to the beautiful Puerto Rico.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Courtney,
Thank you for staying with us during your stay in our beautiful island. We apologize for the two inconveniences you faced while being here. As you can tell, our dedicated staff works hard to solve any issues and provide a quick solution. We are so glad our staff provided you and your husband with outstanding customer service since that is what we thrive for. We hope you reconsider staying with us on any future trips to our beloved, Puerto Rico.

Been to Cervantes? Share your experiences!