“Super Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cervantes

You added Cervantes to your Saves list
Cervantes
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Recinto Sur #329 | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Super Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Cervantes is in a great location. All of Old San Juan is walkable from here. It is 15-20 mins away from the international airport as well as the smaller airport, Isla Grande. Also, its just a couple blocks away from where the cruise ships docks for the day. The rooms are nice and they serve a yummy (carb filled) breakfast - muffins, croissant & cinnamon rolls! There were 4 people in our room so 2 of us had to stay on the pull out sofa couch. Not too comfortable but the friendly staff made up for that. They are full of helpful tips. We got caught in the rain and made a mess in their lobby but they didnt mind at all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are so glad all these positive factors made your stay at our hotel an excellent one!

Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

great place to stay. this was my first time in Puerto Rico and the staff was more than willing to offer recommendations, book taxis, etc. we were in town to run the Puerto Rico marathon, and the staff ensured we had a taxi at 4 am and even let us know other guests were running so we could share the cab and save money. I would like to give special thanks to Michelle, who gave us excellent places to eat, and showed us where everything was in town that we could possibly need - super max, cvs, marshals, the good shopping streets and the places to avoid. so thanks Michelle for making our trip awesome!!! also I would recommend getting the mofongo at raices up the street.

• Stayed May 2013
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. They truly are what make us standout with their friendliness and knowledge of our Island. We are so glad you enjoyed your first trip to Puerto Rico and hope you come next year for the Marathon!
Lebanon, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked this room on booking.com and decided that I did not want to stay here so I cancelled. For reasons unknown I was charged for $356.80 for a room I never even seen. I called the hotel to see what was going on and they were very rude. I asked to speak to the owner and the manager (Judy) would not let me speak to him. I just hope if anyone has this problem get better results than I have. I would not be complaining if I did not cancel but I booked two rooms and cancelled both of them and only one was canceled. Good luck to anyone whom has a problem because they are not very good about resolving them.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We apologize for the situation but would like to remind you that we refunded payment for your first night. Let us emphasize that the issue was brought upon because Booking.com couldn't find your cancellation and without a cancellation, our policy allows us to charge you. We were following our policies and procedures at our best.

We hope you reconsider staying with us during any future visits to our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night before departing on our Southern Caribbean cruise. The hotel is in an amazing location. We easily walked everywhere, and if we had been cruising with Carnival (which we weren't) we could have even walked from the hotel to the cruise terminal.
Check-in was extremely fast and the girl at the desk was very personable and friendly. Our room was very small, but for one night it wasn't a big deal. Complimentary breakfast is nothing special. It is just a small plate with a sample of cheese, croissants, etc.
We had a couple issues during our stay- 1) My pillow was covered in small black hair upon arrival. I took it downstairs and the two men at the desk quickly apologized and brought me a new one. They were very prompt and sincere in their concern over the problem. I told them it really wasn't a huge deal, but they wrote up an incident report anyways. I liked their dedication to customer service. It was truly amazing. 2) The alleyway behind the hotel in extremely loud. My husband and I both woke up several times during the night by what sounded like a large garbage truck emptying bins with numerous glass bottles in them. It was something that was tolerable for a night, but would have been hard to deal with for longer.
Overall I liked the experience and I especially liked the staff, but I will probably be staying elsewhere upon my return to the beautiful Puerto Rico.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Courtney,
Thank you for staying with us during your stay in our beautiful island. We apologize for the two inconveniences you faced while being here. As you can tell, our dedicated staff works hard to solve any issues and provide a quick solution. We are so glad our staff provided you and your husband with outstanding customer service since that is what we thrive for. We hope you reconsider staying with us on any future trips to our beloved, Puerto Rico.
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Chateau Cervantes hotel a few days ago after a recent Caribbean cruise and we loved the place. It's a very old hotel which has undergone a recent renovation, and we thought that both the lobby and the guest rooms were quite elegant. It's located on Recinto Sur (a main street in Old Town San Juan) so some reviewers complain about the street noise. Even though we were there on Saturday night (when Old Town is absolutely packed with visitors!) we slept great. We found the hotel staff to be helpful and friendly, and we were served a nice continental breakfast which included warm croissants & bagels with cream cheese. They were happy to store our luggage for us, and Yuri & Michelle also gave us some valuable recommendations on places to visit and where to eat. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about street noise, try requesting a room toward the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mr. Rhodes,

Thank you for the kind and honest words about our hotel. They truly are valuable to us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and recommendations from our wonderful staff. We look forward to your next stay with us at Chateau Cervantes!
Hudson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at the Cervantes in January and had read both negative and positive reviews on the hotel. We weren't able to get in for just one night at the Sheraton as we did the previous year so we opted to stay here. While the staff was gracious and my 'kids' 22&18 were never so happy to be out of the cab...my youngest thought were were going to die in that cab, I think they had lost our reservation. It took forever for them to find our reservation and then get the room ready. It was hot and stuffy but wow what an amazing shower! It was a room all in itself. The pull out sofa the kids had to use was ok at best, good think they are used to a dorm lifestyle, while our bed was comfortable the room remained stuffy and the ac was LOUD. Just when I would start to doze off it would start or the night life in the back alley would start.

Michelle was wonderful and VERY informative. She truly made the visit pleasant and helped us figure out our day before we boarded the ship.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We appreciate you remembering to review us after your stay in January. We apologize that your check in took too long and we will work hard to get this issue resolved. Thank you for the kind words about our staff. They are what truly make our hotel shine!
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the moment we pulled up by taxi to the hotel, the entire staff was so friendly, cheerful, and accommodating, even the Chef helped bring in our luggage. The room was spacious and very comfortable, with balcony doors that open to a quaint street below. The location is perfect and within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and the Bay, which we walked along after dinner. We ate dinner at the hotel, at an outside table, the food was delicious. They served a very nice Continental breakfast in the morning, with a freshly brewed cup of coffee for each customer. On our return from a cruise, the staff allowed us to store our bags until we had to leave for the airport. Next time we're in Puerto Rico, we are definitely staying here. In my opinion, it's a very romantic hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the generous review on our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and can't wait to see you again!!!