“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Houston, TX
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not perfect, but the location is hard to beat, and the room was comfortable. Unlike another reviewer, our biggest problem with the A/C was that it was so cold after the cleaning crew left. Getting a room on the back side keeps the noise level down somewhat, but, well, it's on the restaurant street, and another restaurant and bar street is at the end of the block. Such is life -- it's like complaining that the airport hotel has the noise of airplanes. Breakfast was good, and the staff was helpful and nice. I could easily stay here again when coming to San Juan.

Room Tip: Ask for the back side -- the street is a little quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Had done lots of research and decided on a king suite at the Cervantes. In the photos I saw a large balcony we could sit out on and enjoy a glass of wine. On getting to our room there was no balcony and 2 small windows. I asked for the manager and told them I was not happy at all. She informed me the hotel was full but she may have a solution. We stepped into the elevator and went up. When the doors opened we were not in a hall but in the Presidential Suites living room. This stunning suite covers the entire top floor of the hotel. "Would this be to your satisfaction?" I was very happy for the $150 or whatever I had paid. They definately saved it!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Dorado, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

What a wonderful experience I had thanks to Karla and her staff!! They made me feel like royalty and surprised me beyond my imagination. I was on the search for a boutique hotel to stay for the night of my wedding since I was having my wedding in Old San Juan this location was perfect. Karla went out of her way to make sure I could check in early so I could get ready for the big day at the hotel and that was just the start. To my surprise they upgraded me to a gorgeous room and arranged for wine and cheese/fruit plate to be delivered. It gets better...when we returned after the reception I was in awe!! There were rose petals and candels placed all over the suite with a bottel of champagne chilled. This was an experience I will never forget and even though we live in puerto rico I would will definately come back to stay!! Thank you so much Karla made my wedding day unforgetable!!! Forgot to mention the rooms are beautiful as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We wanted a pre-cruise hotel near the port and normally stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan, but the night we wanted was not available. We had read great reviews about the Cervantes Hotel - also very close to the port. In fact, this hotel even won an award in 2012 for being 'upscale and trendy'. Seriously? More like 'sketchy' and 'noisy' I would say. The only shining stars were the staff who were attentive and welcoming. Then things went straight downhill. There are no telephones in the rooms. The air conditioning shuts off by itself, over and over again - an issue that we addressed with the staff who sent a handyman and said it was repaired. It continued to shut off and one of us had to keep getting up as we lay drenched in sweat on that steamy September night in San Juan. I personally woke up sweating no less than four times. My husband was already awake from the noise outside. Our room faced the street which has several outdoor bars and the noise went on....and on....all night until about 6am. There was also a brawl - a domestic disturbance on our floor and my husband went downstairs to report it to the security guard. Unfortunately the security guard did not speak English and my husband does not speak Spanish, so the yelling and banging and loud cursing of the not so happy couple down the hall went on all night as well. We had already heard that there were no eggs nor meat in the included breakfast so asked only for a coffee. The staff, although well-intentioned, brought a frothy coffee 'beverage' instead. My husband, normally a fairly even tempered chap did not even feel that we should have paid for the hot, noisy nightmare that was September 22nd 2012 at the Cervantes. Unless you enjoy a hot, sweaty night, no telephone in your room, unbelievable noise levels due to uninsulated windows, please ignore the award that they won. Trust me, the person giving the award could not have actually stayed there.....Run!

Room Tip: Good grief! Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write to us. We pride ourselves in classifying our hotel as European Style with Luxurious amenities. We apologize if your standards were not met and it seemed "sketchy". Old San Juan is known for the great nightlife and since our location is right in the heart of the city, we have busy bars,restaurants and clubs for all those who wish to enjoy them. And for those who don't , we accommodate them in a higher floor where the noise is minimal. As for the telephone situation, your reservation was made through Booking.com and under amenities this is specified. We are deeply saddened that your AC did not work properly as these issues happen and get resolved . We assure you and all others, that all air conditioning in our establishment is verified everyday before Check In time to make sure they are in working condition. A continental breakfast normally consists of slices of cheese and cold meat, pastries, cereal, fruit and drinks like coffee, tea or fruit juices. That is exactly what we serve, if not more. We are a bit confused with your comment about our Coffee since everyday, without hesitation, our guests inform us of how delicious our Coffee is and have multiple cups. If they are looking for a more complex type of Beverage, we send them to the best coffee shops ( which are only 5 minutes or less from our hotel). So again, we apologize for your steamy and sweaty night in the beautiful Chateau Cervantes in Old San Juan. You and your family are always welcome in our Boutique Hotel and we hope to receive you in other better circumstances that doesn't bring disappointing results. We are doing everything to make our guest feel comfortable and happy during their stay, if you stay again we will guarantee a pleasant time.

Thank You.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Everything from the food to the hotel employees were accomodating, the room had a moldy smell, but they said they were doing renovations...We had the presidential suite and everything was beautiful, clean and peaceful. Everything was close at hand, the shopping, the nightlife and restaurants. And the pier were our shipped departed was just around the corner, so it was perfect for me and my girlfriends...and overrall safe location...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Excellent hotel in Old San Juan. My husband and I chose this hotel for the location (we really didn't want to rent a car for a quick weekend stay). A stop for the free trolley is just outside, you are within a block of excellent nightlife/restaurants and shopping, not to mention the historic places in Old San Juan. You might hear a little noise at night from people going to/coming from clubs around the corner, but nothing major IMO (our balcony faced the street behind the hotel and was quiet except for someone calling out to their friend for a few minutes, no one was hanging out or screaming or yelling). The staff was wonderful and always helpful. Cannot say enough good things about them! Our room was super clean and so efficient (to some it might seem a little on the small side, but the thought that went into the design makes it work great and is an efficient design). The design of the hotel and rooms are definately not your standard hotel room! You get a sophisticated design with a very comfortable feel to it. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom/shower was very big (and very clean) The breakfast, is continental style. I have read some complaints that its not alot of food.... but I found it to be delicious, sure its not piled high, but the cinnamon rolls are fabulous and the other breads/croissants offered are fresh and delicious. The coffee is very good and if you want more.. they are happy to bring more....if you want a "larger" american style breakfast that is available also, but it is not free and is not very expensive. Next time we are in San Juan we will be staying here again without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

On our last night in San Juan, my partner and I decided to stay at The Chateau Cervantes in Old San Juan so that we could have one night to take in the flavor of that part of the city. I was beyond impressed! We stayed in a Jr. Suite (4th floor, Room#6) and it was very very nice! I will always request that room! It was cozy, and in a great location to many local restaurants and bars........walking distance to literally everything in Old San Juan! Christina and Carla who manage the front desk were absolutely wonderful! Unfortunately the restaurant in the hotel was closed for the summer season, so we couldn't try it, but it was beautiful! We're planning a cruise leaving from San Juan next year, and we will DEFINITELY be staying at the Chateau Cervantes either before departing or on our return. This hotel is literally a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal. For a relaxing drink, check out Carli's (walking distance) on the street level of the Banco Popular building....it's a beautiful little jazz bistro, and had delicious fritters and mojitos there! Also try the Parrot Club, a great Puerto Rican restaurant a couple of blocks away!

Room Tip: Jr. suite, 4th floor, Room #6..........with a balcony overlooking the street. You won't be dis...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cervantes? Share your experiences!