“Hidden Jewel” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #89 of 639 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nonna provides a unique ambience blooming with history where you can savor Italian classics dishes abundant with fresh vegetables, assorted cheeses, extra virgin olive oil and "live" homemade pasta. The menu includes a selection of dishes ranging from antipasti, soups and pasta with a variety of meats and seafood. The pizzas are made with carefully selected ingredients including Caputo flour from Naples, Italy, extra virgin olive oil unfiltered and fresh mozzarella. "La Nonna was the precursor of this Italian cuisine where they used the best ingredients while preparing everything from scratch. It is a throwback to the traditional and rustic cuisine. We try to respect these methods and recipes from the past while integrating cutting-edge techniques. BELLINI BRUNCH Enjoy an exclusive Italian brunch every Saturday & Sunday from 10am-3pm.
Annapolis, Maryland
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I found this lovely gem right around the corner from the Double Tree Hotel. We failed to make a reservation, but after a brief wait we were seated at the bar. Definitely make a reservation, as it is a small, warm and cozy spot that is filled with customers that come for the superb food. The bar tender was great and creative as he has designed a list of unique and tasty cocktails. Everything we ordered was freshly prepared, homemade ingredients and made us yearn to go back again on our next trip to Puerto Rico. Don't forget dessert... It was divine as well.

“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Ingredients were very fresh and the pasta just made. You could taste freshness and magic in every taste. The duck ravioli were outstanding as well as the presentation and service. This is one of the few restaurants where before you leave you start thinking when I am going to return. I Highly recommend it for authentic Italian food. The restaurant is in Condado very close to the Doubletree Hotel.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“The best restaurant in PR!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Nonna's was a quaint, lovely, and very welcoming little place with a romantic vibe. Everybody there were locals and no tourists could be found except for us. the menu was not large but it had everything you need at an Italian retaurant and everytging on the menu sounded really great. If it had not been for a wonderfully helpful waitress Barbie, it would have taken a lot longer. (ask for Barbie! she is the best!!!) I rolled in in dirty and partially wet clothes after a day of hike and night kayaking with my husband and another couple and we were greeted heartily amongst the beautifully dressed people. They did not make us feel bad or out of place at all but rather comfortable and very much like an old friend which we really appreciated. not snooty at all! We had the aranccini the size of a grapefruit and it was perfection! mouthgasm in full force! The fresh mozzarella was divine. The food was spectacular! Plain and simple. The taglioni which was an elevated carbonara was just the best. The casoncelli was superb with super tender short ribs inside the wonderful ravioli and my friend just loved their squid ink linguini. The highlight was the Bronzino cooked in a paper bag. Simple but perfect. Us starved four ate up the food like a hungry pack of wolves, left a huge mess, spilled a drink and broke a stemware but Barbie went out if her way to make us not feel embarrassed and acted like that is completely normal. She was the absolute best. Please please try this place.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“One of my best meals / drinks !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife pick this place to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, I didn't have any expectations of this place. But what a pleasant surprise we had. We arrive around 40 minutes past our reservation and our table was already occupied, but it was for the best. We sat at the bar and had the opportunity to talk with the bartender about their house drinks. My favorite one was the one with thyme infused liquor.
The food was amazing, we ordered the fresh mozzarella and olives as appetizer, both of them were delicious. As main I have lobster risotto and my wife ordered the Gnocchi, both were great. As a dessert we ordered their version of the tiramisu with some modifications that my wife asked. This have been one of my best meals I have during 2013.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lawrence, Kansas
“My Grandma Didn't Cook This Good ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Nonna is very nice, somewhat small, slightly upscale Italian restaurant near downtown. The polpette (meatballs) were excellent, the homemade mozzarella delicious, casoncelli alla bergamasca light yet complex, the lamb lasagna exquisite, and the tiramisu ... BUONISSIMO!