“I am Puerto Rican and I was disappointed!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #411 of 628 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Located in the Heart of the Miramar neighborhood in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Los Pinos Restaurant is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. We specialize in Latin American and Caribbean Food at affordable prices. A favorite of sanjuaneros.
Boston, Massachusetts
“I am Puerto Rican and I was disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were staying at a hotel nearby and decided to check this place out as it appeared to be full of people and my boyfriend's taxi driver recommended it. I am Puerto Rican, born and lived on the island, so for me I was looking forward to enjoying some cuisine which I typically do not eat now that I live off the island.

I ordered mofongo al ajillo with chicken and after listening to me talk this dish up so much my boyfriend ordered his own mofongo with shrimp with criolla sauce. We also ordered two margaritas. The drinks came rather quickly but were completed horrible. They tasted the way I imagine rubbing alcohol must taste like. I am not sure whether it was the lowest shelf tequila that was used if it had way too much sour mix. I could not drink it. Mine was frozen and tasted that way; however, my boyfriend's on the rock margarita seemed fine. I let mine melt in order to attempt to enjoy it but that didn't solve it. I was taken back a bit being when we received the drinks in plastic disposable cups. I felt as if we were at a beach bar when clearly we weren't.

The food came some time later. It took a bit of time to receive it but that wasn't a bother for us. During the time we waited we were able to enjoy conversation, people watch, etc. I noticed patrons whom did not speak Spanish did not receive as attentive of service as those who did. There was a table near us with a couple whom waited for at least 20 minutes before they were acknowledged by a waitress and when they asked for an explanation of a dish she left and seemed to avoid even looking towards there table. I noticed this because she was also our waitress and I was trying to get her attention to let know about my margarita and order another round of drinks but she went from looking towards our area or even walking by to ask how we were doing to never returning again. Finally, another waitress brought our food and I asked if she could ask our waitress to come by. She did go over to talk to her and actually returned herself asking what we needed. Ha! I felt bad for the couple who ended up walking out shortly after.
With that aside, our food arrived and we were ready to enjoy it. Remember I talked about the awesomeness of mofongo? Well, after my first bite I hoped my boyfriend's was better than mine was. It was quite disappointing. He not knowing any better found it "interesting, tasty, but quite dry". The best part of the meal for me was the fresh salad served along side the mofongo. I did not finish my mofongo as it was tasteless and dry despite being served with a sauce. The chicken placed on top of the mofongo was moist but had absolutely no taste whatsoever.
After we finished and our plates were cleared we sat and waited and waited and waited until finally I got up and asked for our check. I have never left a restaurant hungry in my life, but after leaving here I was left hungry. I ended up grabbing something from a snack machine at our hotel.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

ohio
“great food - atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

good food atmosphere....we had a large group of 13...wait was a bit long, but that was understandable for our size group...

Visited December 2013
Long Island, NY
“Great Breakfast!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I visited this restaurant twice for breakfast. The food was great and the prices were very reasonable.

Visited December 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Wish I picked Subway further up the street”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Not very appetizing. I was just hungry and wanted something new. This is Dominican food, not authentic Puerto Rican food.

Visited November 2013
Boston
“24 hour Puertorican and Dominican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I think people who write bad reviews for this place have unreasonable expectations. This is a family restaurant that serves 24x7 PR and Dominican food that is VERY good. The service is not the reason why people come here. This place is like Bebo's in that people expect the service to be average but the food is always good. Los Pinos is an institution and has been around for quite a while, and all the children in my family that have eaten there, love it.

• Visited November 2013