“Great Tour - History, Culture, and Food!” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #2 of 4 Food & Drink in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Spoon Food Tours offers walking, driving and customized culinary tours in the San Juan Metro Area to anyone in search of a REAL Puerto Rican experience. The company highlights “off the beaten path” dining establishments that locals frequent and incorporates unique and delicious food tastings. Besides tasting great Island food, our guests learn about the history, culture and architecture of the neighborhoods visited. We recommend taking our tours at the beginning of your stay so you can return and enjoy these wonderful areas at your leisure. Join us for a fun cultural journey to the best local spots, opening up a whole new world of savory experiences.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Tour - History, Culture, and Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had a great time on this tour. Paulina was fantastic and very knowledgeable about the culture and history of Puerto Rico. The food was fantastic and we visited restaurants and ate dishes we never would have tried on our own. Highly recommend.

Visited January 2013
SpunFoodTours, Owner at Spoon Food Tours, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Tasting the food of a place you are visiting is part of the travel experience. And my favorite part, of course! Yay for being adventurous foodies!

Texas
“Great day in San Juan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I arranged a private tour with Spun Food Tours because we had a long layover in San Juan on our way back home from our honeymoon. Paulina picked us up from the airport, showed us a wonderful time in San Juan, and then dropped us back off in time for our flight home. It was a great way to make the most of our short time in Puerto Rico!

Paulina took us to the neighborhoods of Santurce, Pinones, and Old San Juan. We tried ceviche, tostones, mofongo, rice and beans, coconut water (straight from the coconut), flan, and pina coladas. The food was amazing! The tostones were freshly made and the mofongo was outstanding! Paulina did a great job of giving us a feel for daily life in San Juan and it seemed as if we spent the day with and old friend instead of a tour guide. It was a great mix of history and food!

Put this on your must do list in San Juan!

Visited January 2013
SpunFoodTours, Owner at Spoon Food Tours, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

It was my pleasure getting to know you and Jaime and showing you my favorite spots around town. I had so much fun with you! I am so glad you enjoyed your day and loved the local cuisine, especially the tostones! They are delicious when made fresh and never seem to taste the same once they have been frozen and refried. I hope to see you again in Puerto Rico and congratulations once again on your wedding!

My best,
Paulina
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Culture + Food Tasting in San Juan, PR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The San Juan Drive Around Tour exceeded our expectations. Our tour guide, Paulina, was very knowledgeable about more than just the amazing food we tasted - we learned about the culture, history of the island, architecture, relationship to the U.S. and more! I think food is the best way to get to know a city and its people the best. We had a great time with lots of laughs and finished having learned so much!

The food we tried was delicious and included several different stops that tourists wouldn't normally know about - from the streets of Old San Juan, to a local and vibrant marketplace, to beachside restaurants. In Puerto Rico, it's sometimes hard to learn about cultural gems. So, if you're here on vacation, take an afternoon away from the beach to try amazing food and learn about this special island.

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“Fun Walking Tour of Old San Juan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my first time in Puerto Rico, so I really wanted to get as much as I could out of my trip. I found the Spün Food Tours website online and immediately jumped on the "Walk and Taste" tour. What can be better than starting your morning off with coffee, a delicious pastry (you have to try these!) and a history lesson!? I enjoyed the entire tour, walking through the 500 year old city and learning its history. After about two hours, we finished up the walking part and got some more samplings of local grub. This tour is perfect for anyone that wants to learn a little history and get a more hands on feel for San Juan. The tours are in the morning, so you still have all day to hit the beaches or do some shopping (right down the street) all before lunch time. I definitely recommend this tour to anyone- short, sweet, simple, informative, and delicious.

Visited November 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“The perfect foodie meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I did the Gourmet Gastro tour on our honemoon, and it was the highlight of our time in San Juan! The tour guides are extremely knowledgeable and will share as much or as little information as you want to hear! Having done numerous "tastings" at restaurants we often found that the food was too overwhelming, but this tour was just the right amount of food and drinks!

We started at a restaurant in the Santuce area of San Juan. This was a very young hip part of town, and the restaurant was very cozy and well designed. We had a number of appetizers here and the award winning bartender picked our drinks for us (and they were a hit!) The appetizers were fresh, local ingredients, and set the tone for the rest of the evening.

The second restaurant was a French restaurant in a different part of town, and it might be surprising to think of a french place in PR but OMG this was the best chicken I've ever had! Get the chicken! The french onion soup and Chicken were perfection!!

Finally we ended in a clubby part of town with desert on the beach in Condando, again another part of town that we probably would not have seen! We finished with a light pannacotta-like desert with fresh fruit on it and a glass of prossecco.

The tour was very well organized and explained, it was clear that a lot of thought was put into each part of the meals and tours. Would absolutely do it again!

Visited November 2012
SpunFoodTours, Owner at Spoon Food Tours, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hi Bonnie,

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. We really appreciate you taking out the time to share your experiences with future guests. We had so much fun showing you and Tom around San Juan and taking you to some of our favorite gourmet spots in town. Good luck on your new venture and we hope to see you again in San Juan. Congratulations once again!