“Absolutely amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Olive Boutique Hotel

You added Olive Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Olive Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Aguadilla st. | Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
San Francisco, California, United States
“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had never been to Puerto Rico and decided to stay here based on other reviews and the price. We absolutely made the right choice. The hotel is immaculate. The staff is so nice and helpful. Their roof top bar and lounge is one of the most beautiful hotel spaces I have ever seen. It was the perfect location- 5 minute cab ride into old San Juan, walking distance to great restaurants, bars and casinos. If you go to Puerto Rico, stay here.

Room Tip: Any room is great, but the suites are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello Laura! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the O:live Boutique Hotel. It is really rewarding to read such a positive note from our guest.

This is your home in Puerto Rico, visit us again soon!

Loisse Herger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I just came back from staying the weekend there with my boyfriend and We absolutely loved it! It's a very charming, beautiful boutique, amazing decor and it feels like you are in Europe. The hotel has an amazing guest service. They sent us a driver to pick us up at the airport which I found is a great plus.. the rooms are very comfortable and very modern. In the morning you also get a large variety of food, coffee and pastries (croissants were AMAZING, they make everything there). The hotel has a great location, is in the heart of condado where you find a lot of restaurants and shopping all walking distance. I also recommend the restaurant Oliva was excellent,and the pizzetas at the roof top for lunch were really good.
We got to meet the owners and they were so nice and you can see how much effort and love they put into the hotel. Every little detail from the restaurant to The roof top has its own charm. I highly recommend it and will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Lagoon room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OliveExperience, Public Relations Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2014
Frankie! Thank you so much for this amazing review about O:Live! We are so happy that you complemented our staff! They truly work the extra mile to make sure that every guest's requests are taken care of! We always make sure that all the guests have the most wonderful O:Live Experience! Once again, thank you so much for such a wonderful review and we hope to have the honor of having you back at O:Live soon! Take care!

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am new to TripAdvisor and the Olive Hotel is a great place to be my first review! I wanted a weekend getaway with my girlfriend and since Puerto Rico is such an easy flight from Miami, we booked our flights and the Olive Hotel (friends had told us how nice it was).
I have only good things to say about this new hotel. From the moment we were picked up at the airport until we were dropped back off, we were treated like family. Very friendly staff and the owners, Loisse and Fernando, are obviously very involved in the operation.
The hotel has 15 rooms, all individually decorated with antiques, and great black and white photos. The rooms are classic and comfortable, yet modern and very well maintained. I like things very clean, and this hotel is spotless. This is a hotel where you need to have a bit of an open mind because, as other writers have said, the shower (in our room) was in the middle of the floor plan. To me, this was a genius architectural feature of the hotel and makes the stay that much more interesting!
The hotel also has a restaurant on the first level, Oliva. We had a great dinner there and there was a very nice group of other hotel guests dining in the restaurant. I would recommend Oliva for a quiet night with excellent food.
But the piece de resistance of the Olive Hotel, is the rooftop. The owners put serious love into this part of the hotel. Adorned with antiques, reclaimed wood, comfortable couches, a great bar, and an ambient plunge pool, the rooftop is where we spent a great amount of time. They have a well thought out tapas menu, and the coconut mojito will make you feel like you really are in paradise.
The bottom line: If you are heading to San Juan and want to be in the heart of it all, yet in your own little world, stay at The Olive Hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this amazing review! We truly feel flattered when guests have such nice experiences and tell others about it! We are very excited that you loved your stay so much and that you liked the concept as well. Actually, we just won the 2014 America's and World's Best inspired Boutique Hotel, so we are super excited about that! Now, we have a couple of changes that have made our hotel even more spectacular. We just finished adding indoors and outdoors terraces to all of our rooms making them a whole lot bigger. Some of the bigger suites even include a living room and a jacuzzi, so you can imagine the huge upgrade that represents to the O:Live Experience. We truly appreciate this beautiful review and really hope that you get to come back and stay with us! And if you do, just let us know in advance so we can receive you like the member of the O:Live family that you became! Take care and hope to see you soon!

pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed over the holidays and paid a small fortune!, We were very disappointed in the room size, nowhere to put our clothes, and shower in the middle of the room. The sheets though elegant would not stay on the bed and were hot. The trash truck comes right outside the room in front about 7:30 AM and there is a disco that likes to crank up about 10:30 and go until 1:30 or so and I'm talking loud techno. Breakfast is minimal and you have to beg for coffee.
In all fairness the hotel is nice and hip with good food and the owners are on site and accommodating but we have stayed at boutique hotels all over the world and this place is just way overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

I apologize if you were disappointed in your recent stay over the Holidays at O:live Boutique Hotel. Traveling during the Holidays is sometimes tricky because prices do increase according to the season.

With all due respect, when I read your review it seemed like you were not fully informed about the type of room or hotel that you booked. Our sincere intention is to inform through accurate descriptions and pictures the types of rooms that we offer. You booked a Mediterranean suite w and the picture next to the description of this room clearly shows an all glass shower designed in the middle of the room. Some people find it sexy, others genius and other simply prefer the conventional shower. That's ok. We knew at the design stage that this is not for everyone. O:live is not a big hotel, it is a small boutique hotel. The room sizes are not comparable to the standard American room sizes, our hotel was designed following the European types of rooms that you would find in Venice, Paris, Madrid....The closet is a custom made armoire made out of restored woods, it is not a conventional closet...but there is a closet.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the sound of the garbage truck in the morning, I will make a call to the municipality and to the Puerto Rico Tourism Office and see if their pick up time is something they can adjust in the future.

You rating in service was a 4 out of 5 so I assume you were satisfied with our staff's service. Our breakfast has fruits, muffins, yogurt and granola, bread, cinnamon rolls but you mentioned you had to "beg" for coffee. We have a self service Puerto Rican coffee station and a Nespresso coffee machine that most guests ask the waiter or front desk agent for service.

You also mention that the owners were on site and accommodating but you did not made me aware of these issues. I would've prefer to talk to you about it during your stay and offer my assistance in solving most if not all of this issues. Believe me that we ultimately want our guests to leave with a positive experience and we will continue to work hard to improve our services.

Thank you for your comments, we learned from them.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Great food, amazing service at an incredibly beautiful place. It's like a little pice of Europe in Puerto Rico. You have to see the rooftop. It has an amazing view of the Condado Lagoon...breathtaking. Very romantic place.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Jose! Thank you for a beautiful review. We are excited that local people keep visiting us and enjoying our little gem! See you soon.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We chose the hotel based on its star rating. The ambiance and the decor was extremely nice. The hotel staff were all above par for a five star property and not only helpful, but extremely accommodating, professional and warm. We knew the area where the hotel was and were a little disappointed in the availability of things to do in the area without a cab, but cabs are reasonable so not a problem. The hotel restaurant was extremely busy and they were able to find us a table when we returned from an excursion to the rain forest very late. The food was excellent and service was again, above excellent. The roof top bar is beautiful and although not opened when we we visited, we were able to enjoy our own bottle of wine at the couches overlooking the lagoon and enjoy the view and quiet. The continental breakfast was very nice, with lots of choices. The coffee was amazing.

Room Tip: We chose the Petite room since the room truly was to sleep and enjoy the area after a week long crui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write about your exquisite experience at O:live Boutique Hotel and for recognizing the quality of service in our staff. We were delighted to have you as a guest, on you next visit please write me to lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com I would love to treat you with an upgrade.

See you soon,

brooklyn, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just came back from our 4 night stay at Olive and I have quite a bit to share with all of you. First of all, if you want an accurate review, read the review by user "MOBIBAS", because it's on point 100%. I booked this hotel based on the perfect reviews on Tripadvisor, but that has proven to be very misleading. Let's go over the pro's and con's:

Pro's first:
1) Nice location in Condado, next to La Concha Resort and the Vanderbilt hotel....very close proximity to all the restaurants, beach is across the street.
2) Staff is very friendly and accommodating. We were able to check in early and check out late without any issues.
3) Rooftop is an AMAAAAAZINGGGGGG OASIS and retreat with beautiful views of the lagoon.
4) Decor is very charming and elegant.....you can tell that a lot of thought was put into the design - great for photo ops
5) L'Occitane toiletries are a nice touch
6) Free breakfast - consisting of delicious coffee, pastries, and granola, yogurt and fresh fruits
7) Free WiFi
8) Free parking

Moving on to the CON'S:
1) ISSUE #1 - We had a standard room (not the one that faces the lagoon) on the 2nd floor. The room was small, had a queen sized bed, only one night stand, and a tiny free standing dresser/closet. There were 2 windows, one faced a parking lot building and the other one faced the wall of another building...basically you can say that there are no windows in the room. OK HERE GOES THE ISSUE: IT'S AN OPEN LAYOUT ROOM SO THE BATHROOM IS ONLY SEGREGATED BY A LITTLE GLASS WALL AND THERE IS NO DOOR SO WHEN YOU ARE LYING IN BED YOU CAN SEE/SMELL THE TOILET. I'm sorry but what kind of moron puts a bathroom in a room and doesn't segregate it with a door? So I'm supposed to think that it's cool or sexy to see my significant other on the toilet? SERIOUSLY??!!?!? I'm all for open layouts, but this is just absurd. I have to leave the room if somebody has to go to the bathroom? Or I have to see it from the bed? You have got to be kidding me. This is a HUGE PROBLEM in my opinion. What if you're here on a getaway with your gf? what if it's two girlfriends? This is like a jail cell with a communal bathroom and you're just supposed to be comfortable doing your business out in the open like some animal in the wild. GROSS GROSS GROSS and poorly designed. So unless you're the type of person that is comfortable going to the bathroom in front of your significant other, I think you'll have a HUGE issue with this little design feature that other 5 star reviews fail to mention.
2) Bed is ok, QUEEN SIZED only - I think the sheets are really poor quality and may contain polyester or like 100 threat count because every night I would continuously wake up sweating since it was so hot, and our AC was running on 70 degrees.
3) Towels - you only get 2 large towels and a few little towels.....if you need more, you have to ask.
4) Housekeeping - the housekeeper cleaned our room as we were at breakfast...I don't think she changed the sheets every day and she didn't replenish the toiletries either. We had a bottle of wine on the night stand and she took away the dirty glasses, but didn't give us clean ones. I found dark hair on the sheets and in the towels a few times and that's pretty gross.
5) Breakfast was good, but I had to always find somebody to make us the coffee. That’s bc the front desk person is the same person that makes the coffee and does a million other things.....I thought boutique hotels were supposed to have EXTRA service....this place just lacks staff in my opinion.
6) Yes there is a pool on the rooftop, but I wouldn't step foot in it. It's tiny and just there for decoration, and doesn't seem clean because there are a ton of leaves and other things floating around inside.
7) During the day there is construction next door - so if you'd like to come to the rooftop during the day to relax, you'll have a hard time doing so bc of the drilling and banging going on in the construction site next door.
8) I read some mention of afternoon tea? - didn't see anything of the sort
9) Drinks on the rooftop are good, but again SLOW SLOW SLOW service.
10) They serve lunch, but I didn't really see anybody there during the day.

Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone. If you'd like to enjoy the rooftop, come for dinner or drinks and just enjoy the view that way. I think too much thought was put into decor and NO thought was put into the logistical setup of the room. I believe that the set up would be problematic for MOST people. This is not a place for kids or a family. Their rooms are set up for a single person, not a couple and I think that they really need to rethink their business if they'd like to see continued success. I think that the fluffy 20 (5) star reviews are misleading and that guests will come to their senses as soon as they step into their room. More reviews like this are going to start pouring in because let’s face it, people want privacy if they're doing their business in the bathroom and if all the rooms have the same set up as mine, it's going to drive away business.
I wish this property continued success and I think the owners are very sweet and have put a tremendous amount of thought into the décor design, but the rooms lack functionality and ultimately that’s going to be an issue for most people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this review. We truly appreciate when guests give recommendations on their reviews, but we have great news for you. We just finished expanding all of our rooms and added indoor and outdoor terraces to all of them. Some of the bigger ones even have a living room and a jacuzzi, so that's something definitely you have to see for yourself. We also enclosed all of the bathrooms of our rooms, so there won't be any privacy issues anymore. We also have two front desks agents attending in the mornings and rush hours. Like you said, our hotel is not made for families, since we only allow guests from 18 years and forth. It is a romantic getaway for honeymooners or couples looking to re-connect. We would like to thank you for acknowledging the design of the hotel. As a matter of fact we just won the America's and World's Best Inspired Design Boutique Hotel of 2014, so that's great. We strongly recommend that you come stay with us for your next visit to Puerto Rico. There are a million new things in our boutique property to look for!

O:Live Boutique Hotel

Been to Olive Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!