Just came back from our 4 night stay at Olive and I have quite a bit to share with all of you. First of all, if you want an accurate review, read the review by user "MOBIBAS", because it's on point 100%. I booked this hotel based on the perfect reviews on Tripadvisor, but that has proven to be very misleading. Let's go over the pro's and con's:
1) Nice location in Condado, next to La Concha Resort and the Vanderbilt hotel....very close proximity to all the restaurants, beach is across the street.
2) Staff is very friendly and accommodating. We were able to check in early and check out late without any issues.
3) Rooftop is an AMAAAAAZINGGGGGG OASIS and retreat with beautiful views of the lagoon.
4) Decor is very charming and elegant.....you can tell that a lot of thought was put into the design - great for photo ops
5) L'Occitane toiletries are a nice touch
6) Free breakfast - consisting of delicious coffee, pastries, and granola, yogurt and fresh fruits
7) Free WiFi
8) Free parking
Moving on to the CON'S:
1) ISSUE #1 - We had a standard room (not the one that faces the lagoon) on the 2nd floor. The room was small, had a queen sized bed, only one night stand, and a tiny free standing dresser/closet. There were 2 windows, one faced a parking lot building and the other one faced the wall of another building...basically you can say that there are no windows in the room. OK HERE GOES THE ISSUE: IT'S AN OPEN LAYOUT ROOM SO THE BATHROOM IS ONLY SEGREGATED BY A LITTLE GLASS WALL AND THERE IS NO DOOR SO WHEN YOU ARE LYING IN BED YOU CAN SEE/SMELL THE TOILET. I'm sorry but what kind of moron puts a bathroom in a room and doesn't segregate it with a door? So I'm supposed to think that it's cool or sexy to see my significant other on the toilet? SERIOUSLY??!!?!? I'm all for open layouts, but this is just absurd. I have to leave the room if somebody has to go to the bathroom? Or I have to see it from the bed? You have got to be kidding me. This is a HUGE PROBLEM in my opinion. What if you're here on a getaway with your gf? what if it's two girlfriends? This is like a jail cell with a communal bathroom and you're just supposed to be comfortable doing your business out in the open like some animal in the wild. GROSS GROSS GROSS and poorly designed. So unless you're the type of person that is comfortable going to the bathroom in front of your significant other, I think you'll have a HUGE issue with this little design feature that other 5 star reviews fail to mention.
2) Bed is ok, QUEEN SIZED only - I think the sheets are really poor quality and may contain polyester or like 100 threat count because every night I would continuously wake up sweating since it was so hot, and our AC was running on 70 degrees.
3) Towels - you only get 2 large towels and a few little towels.....if you need more, you have to ask.
4) Housekeeping - the housekeeper cleaned our room as we were at breakfast...I don't think she changed the sheets every day and she didn't replenish the toiletries either. We had a bottle of wine on the night stand and she took away the dirty glasses, but didn't give us clean ones. I found dark hair on the sheets and in the towels a few times and that's pretty gross.
5) Breakfast was good, but I had to always find somebody to make us the coffee. That’s bc the front desk person is the same person that makes the coffee and does a million other things.....I thought boutique hotels were supposed to have EXTRA service....this place just lacks staff in my opinion.
6) Yes there is a pool on the rooftop, but I wouldn't step foot in it. It's tiny and just there for decoration, and doesn't seem clean because there are a ton of leaves and other things floating around inside.
7) During the day there is construction next door - so if you'd like to come to the rooftop during the day to relax, you'll have a hard time doing so bc of the drilling and banging going on in the construction site next door.
8) I read some mention of afternoon tea? - didn't see anything of the sort
9) Drinks on the rooftop are good, but again SLOW SLOW SLOW service.
10) They serve lunch, but I didn't really see anybody there during the day.
Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone. If you'd like to enjoy the rooftop, come for dinner or drinks and just enjoy the view that way. I think too much thought was put into decor and NO thought was put into the logistical setup of the room. I believe that the set up would be problematic for MOST people. This is not a place for kids or a family. Their rooms are set up for a single person, not a couple and I think that they really need to rethink their business if they'd like to see continued success. I think that the fluffy 20 (5) star reviews are misleading and that guests will come to their senses as soon as they step into their room. More reviews like this are going to start pouring in because let’s face it, people want privacy if they're doing their business in the bathroom and if all the rooms have the same set up as mine, it's going to drive away business.
I wish this property continued success and I think the owners are very sweet and have put a tremendous amount of thought into the décor design, but the rooms lack functionality and ultimately that’s going to be an issue for most people.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.