“Perfect Gift” 5 of 5 stars

Neptune Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Perfect Gift”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We got some great history from Ena Mestey about the masks and the artist prior to purchasing. This exactly what we were looking for when trying to find something to take with us to remember our trip. Definitely a must.

Visited February 2014

5 attraction reviews
“Authentic handcrafted masks and a free education!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Ena Mestey, proprietor of Arte & Mascaras, is passionate about her wares and about promoting the artists whose work she sells. She shares her knowledge most graciously. You can be assured that your purchase is authentic local work and you'll learn how it reflects Puerto Rican culture and tradition. Ena makes shopping a delightful experience.

Visited December 2013
NYC
14 attraction reviews
“Authentic Masks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

When I travel I look for excellent quality hand-made crafts that I collect to use as Christmas tree decorations. Not easy to find, and never in tourist locations. I was thrilled I stumbled on this store. They had masks of all sizes, made and signed by the artists. The small one I bought was made by the granddaughter of the Juan Alindato (deceased) (see write ups in NY, LA Times, Endowment of the Arts) famous for his Vejigante masks (he learned by helping his mother in law). A perfect reminder of PR. And Ena Mestey, the owner, couldn't have been more charming and helpful.

Visited February 2013
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Great shop with authentic souvenirs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was looking for something unique to bring home from my trip to Puerto Rico. I found a number of "authentic" gifts at several shops but the masks and art at Arte & Mascaras seemed especially authentic. Ms. Mestey (the shop proprietor) took a great deal of time explaining the history and symbolism of the masks we were interested in buying and was very enthusiastic about them. She was extremely warm and knowledgeable and the time we spent in the shop with her was well spent. I will encourage any friends or family traveling to PR to stop into her shop and will do the same should I return to Old San Juan. If you are looking for more than a tangible souvenir and to learn about what you are buying, look no further than Arte & Mascaras and Ms. Mestey.

Visited April 2013
ILLINOIS
17 attraction reviews
“Great Place for Real Puerto Rican Art and Authentic Souvenirs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stopped in this place in Old San Juan and discovered amazing lady in this small shop with real made in PR art work esp. paper-māché (shredded paper and glue) special masks for the Carnival.
She also is very knowledgeable about Taíno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno_people) rock petroglyphs of PR and has some books and info.

Visited April 2012