“excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I loved the experience at the hotel, the staff has a great deal, mr. Luis Garzon always concerned that this all well and have a good service, I was with my wife celebrating anniversary and we really loved it, going back to Old San Juan back to Plaza de armas

Thanks to all the staff, the hotel is excellent

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

When this hotel was a HJ, I was afforded a sad, but filling complimentary breakfast, not any more. I had to buy breakfast for almost $10 in their new restaurant. The elevator is still scary for claustrophobic individuals, and the rooms are tiny as well. The good news is this time I stayed in a room with a window that I was asked not to open, and a terrace that overlooked the park! It was conveniently located but not worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest possible room or you could get stuck in a cell.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
A trillion thanks Stacey for taking the time to write your impression about your recent stay at Hotel Plaza De Armas PR Old San Juan.

We would like to stablish a couple of update regarding our property.

1.- Since September 20, 2012 is under new administration.
2.- We are not Howard Johnson anymore.
3.- We are constantly improving our property
4.- We have the friendliest Front Desk Staff in the whole area.
5. Our housekeeping service is oustanding.
6.- We have the perfect location for being in Old San Juan.
7. We have Interior Rooms with NO WINDOWS but we do have Suites with French Balcony.
8. We have a Trolley Stop just in our doors (Trolley is FREE).
9. A Taxi Line is just in front of us..
10. We are near the airport and the cruise piers.
11. We are very affordable comparing with most hotel in the area.
12. We are one of the few hotels in the area that has elevator. It runs slow but is very reliable.
13. Our property is a 1869 historic building, remodeled in 2005.

It's true we have no complementary breadfast anymore but the reason for this is that we have a concesionary at the premise and we can not compete with them. However there are always other options for more affordable breadfast like Wendy's and Subway that are nearby the plaza.

The majority of our rooms are interior one. Our room has 13' x 11' = 143 sq.feet wich is a little wider than the average room in this area. but we do have bigger Suites Room with French Balcony, (Suites Plus) 24' X 13' = 312 sqt.feet and (Suite King) 24' X 11' = 264 sqt.feet. You can always open all of our windows. If you have book any Interior Room you can request an upgrade for an affordable cost. Upgrade is always available upon request, . So you are invited to stay in any of them for your comfort next time you visit us.

Our elevator is a Lula type which means that can not be a more modern one because of our historic characteristic. It allows 4 people or 1,200 pound. Besides we have people for helping guest with their luggages at all time. We are just a four stories building, so stair is just near the elevator for those whom wants to take advantage of exercising while vacationing.

Stacey, allow me to tell you that your feedback help us to improve our services and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way.

Please make sure you contact me whenever you plan to visit us once again. It will be awesome to serve you when you come back.

Thanks again

Luis Garzon
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Kudos to the staff of hotel plaza de armas. We were taken back in time in this historical hotel. The wood elevator, the wood furnishings, no phones, no toiletries all the basics of history before their were these luxuries. We enjoyed it all. Thanks for keeping the Old World feeling. The location was great. All you need right outside the front door. We enjoyed sitting in the Plaza and feeling like locals. Luis and his staff gave great advice and helped us to find everything we wanted to see and even directed us to great local eateries that were reasonably. Great location for pre and post cruises. We stayed 1 nite before cruise and 2 nites after. The free trolley is right outside door as well as taxis. The Bleu Bistro was good and affordable. So if you want "Modern Creature Comforts" go pay high dollars for the resorts with added fees, if you want "The Old World feel of Old San Juan" , than This is it.
Thanks to all the staff, we will return. Carmen and Walter from Texas

Room Tip: AC LOUD, Just bring ear plugs, I loved it. second floor is good if you dont want to use elevator, i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Litchfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

October 27 my wife and I stayed at the Plaza de Armas prior to our Victory Cruise. The hotel was in a good location in OSJ. There was a Walgreens , Wendys, Subway, and a Grocery store within a bloclk. Walking down to the Pier there were many vendors, restaurants, small shops and a CVS across from Pier. It was a great day of walking and shopping. The hotel was small, very clean , running water, cold AC, small elevator and friendly help.
Woke up Sunday morning (5:15) and walked down to front desk. Where can I get a cup of coffee? You can't, was the reply. Isn't there some place close by so I can buy a cup of coffee. NO! You got to be kidding! NO! I took off walking looking or smelling for coffee. None to be found. I started walking towards the pier where Victory already docked. At 5:45 I walked into the Sheraton and asked if they had any coffee. Not till 6:00 when the restaurant opens. I walked up the stairs with my cup in hand and someone setting plates out noticed me looking ILL. He said , do you need Coffee? Yes PLEASE. He went in the back with my cup and brought me a coffee with no charge. I almost Hugged him. Very black and very good. After that I walked back up the hill to the hotel .( about 1 mile total). I would return to the PLAZA but I hope managment would buy a coffee pot for people who need coffee in the morning. Coffee Pot $39, coffee about $4. PLEASE!

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor, inside. Slep like a baby.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Camuy, null, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

first the place is very small but comfortable, don't have pool.has no parking, so you have to park on the street. there isn't any luxury but the people was great. they make you feel very good since you walk in. i have a little problem with the room i got cause the air conditioning wasn't working. the manager came to me and ask what happened and change my room at once. additional of that the tv stop working the last night cause the company.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I visited Old San Juan for a Tango Festival at the end of August. Since most of my time was spent on classes ,practice and shows I only went there to bathe,change and sleep. This was a good setting and inexpensive for those purposes. Their food and drinks when I had to wait or leave quickly was good as well as the service in these places located in the entrance right in the center of Plaza de Armas. Since parking was difficult I left my luggage with staff and then parked by Paseo de la Princesa parking lots and then walked up. While there I traveled free by Trolly throughout Old San Juan and or walked to many places.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for 1st floor if possible since they have a very old elevator which takes long in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Burnaby, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was in awe of the place when I first stepped foot inside. Very authentic, old elevators and has a lot of character however my room was utter disaster. There was hair on the pillow and sheets and dust balls collected everywhere. I was so paranoid to sleep on the bed because it felt like the sheets weren't changed after the last guest. Customer service at the front desk was great but just the state of my room was total off putting and will not stay there again if I go back to San Juan. You pretty much get what you pay for

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank Mrs.Annie for choosing Hotel Plaza De Armas for your recent stay.

I hope that you had a wonderful time at the Old San Juan City.

Thank you for taking the time to make a review here. I am personally concerned at the conditions which you report. This is certainly not the treatment we intend to offer our appreciated guests.
I would like to offer you a million apologies.

The following steps were immediately taken:

An urgent meetings were held with the entire staff and they received additional training in maintaining the standards which we have set for our Hotel Plaza De Armas. This includes proper cleaning and also proper supplies being in the room.

Every room has been recheck in order to guarantee cleanliness and I can assure you that this kind of situation won't appear anymore.

I would like to let you know that your comments are extremely important to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our services and property on a constant basis.

Allow me to tell you that the state of the room you were in was an exception and does not reflect what our guest normally are used to have.

Our principal concern is to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and always try to exceed their expectations in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

However allow me to suggest you that next time you have a complaint about anything in anyplace please go first to the Front Desk and try to contact the Administrator because maybe that way your situation could be solved in a proper manner and you can avoid uncomfortable situation for you because everything will be arranged immediately.

I invite you to come to Hotel Plaza De Armas once again and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. I will personally take care of all your needs when you come back if you accept my invitation..

Thanks again.

Luis Garzon
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”

Been to Hotel Plaza De Armas? Share your experiences!